Bobby Heenan Passes Away

pitseleh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP to the very, very best manager and colour commentator that wrestling ever had.

Even though this news was expected for a long time, it's still sickening and will taint some of my favourite childhood memories with sadness.

"Virgil came out at what, number 26? Who knows how many bags he's gone through in the back!"

• Paid Members

Been expecting this for a long, long time, which is a testament to how much of a fighter he was.  Can't remember a commentary where he did not have me in hysterics, excellent at the more serious promos too.  A true wrestling legend, RIP Brain.

• Paid Members

RIP Bobby. It really was so so cruel how a man who became so famous for his razor sharp tongue and quick wits was rendered unable to speak. He was a little before my time but watching back he was an utter master of his craft and always a sheer joy to watch. My favourite Heenan memory is his performance on commentary during the Gimmick Battle Royal at Wrestlemania 17 (which I was able to watch at the time and it was my first exposure to Bobby). His performance that night was hysterical. I urge any of you who haven't seen it to track down his speech from his Hall of Fame induction as it's one of the most moving yet funny speeches that I've ever heard. I'm glad he's finally reunited with Monsoon. Rest well Brain.

"By the time the Iron Sheik gets to the ring it'll be Wrestlemania 38!"

A very sad day for wrestling. Glad he's finally at peace after being ill for must be around 15 years.

So many amazing childhood memories of this guy and I look forward to the video tribute WWE will no doubt put together for tonights Raw.

It's weird, by every legend that passes, it comes more apparent that Vince going is getting closer. Not a day I'm looking forward to.

• Paid Members

May have to watch the 1992 Rumble, arguably his finest hour in terms of commentary. RIP Brain. Monsoon's days of resting in peace will be over now that his old partner's back with him.

I know a lot of you don't like Conrad Thompson (understandably), but his WHW Monday episode on Bobby Heenan from a couple of weeks ago is excellent. He and Schiavone delve into Bobby's wicked sense of humour and Tony's relationships with Schiavone in 1989-1990 and again in WCW from 1994-2000. It's absolutely fascinating stuff and very poignant at the end, with Tony stating that he wishes he would have called Bobby when he heard that he was ill and how he feels he now couldn't as he'd left it too late.

I hope WWE go all-out to celebrate The Brain's life and career with a little bit more than just a graphic to open Monday Night Raw. A small video package, complete with talking heads would be nice. I assume we'll get the standard collection of videos and segments thrown together on the WWE Network, like they did after the passing of Chyna, Rhodes, Piper etc as well.

Also - let's post some of our favourite quotes, videos and pictures of the great man in here and turn this into a collection of recollections - why Heenan was the best.

Here's his amazing HOF induction in full. I'll probably wait a day or two before watching this one again myself. :(

Archived