General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Is it Conte's fault the squad is where its at or the board? As you get the impression Conte is unhappy he hasn't had the support/backing to make the signings he needs.

I imagine it's not too dissimilar a situation to Mournho's 2nd season back, where he felt the board didn't buy what they needed.

Conte apparently spent months and months on the blower to Lukaku while he was at Everton, to discuss his plans and how vital he'd be for the team. Of course, Chelsea didn't want to pay the money so we ended up with this weird scenario where the striker Mourinho wanted is at Chelsea and the one Conte wanted went to United. There is a debate to be had that both are good players that went to the wrong team, in the end, given the styles of play and how both their season have went so far.

Chelsea have signed a lot of players, but they may not be what Conte needed.

Or blame Real Madrid.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The board should (and do) take blame for what goes on during bad transfer windows. Conte has some valid excuses for being behind City this season/Chelsea dropping off from last year, but there's no excuse for the team performing as bad as it has this season. There's no excuse for the negative, losing mentality he's instilled by whining about money, fatigue and our supposed lack of quality going into loads of games this season. The board aren't responsible for picking a back three EVERY GAME, EVER (a problem that dates back more than just this season), nor are they responsible for baffling team selections that sees anal soup like Cahill, Matic/now Bakayoko (also a long standing problem) keeping their places without any semblance of merit, and in roles that don't even suit them! The cleverly coached attacking patterns of last season are long gone and the only attacking plan revolves around just giving the ball to Hazard (it's especially evident when we've went 3-5-2). His passion's clearly gone, so so has mine for him, and I wouldn't blame the players for feeling the same.

It's hypocritical given Chelsea's past ruthlessness and lack of loyalty with managers, but IF Conte ummed and ahhed about even staying on for this season, it's understandable IF the board wouldn't fully back him. The idea that he's been sandbagged like Ancelotti was is hilarious, though. That's a situation and eventual sacking that was 100% board-level idiocy.

• Paid Members

Of course Conte takes most of the blame for the results, in the end all managers do, but the board also haven't helped, which is why I bring up Mourinho's last season, because wasn't it a similar scenario? Mourinho saw that his squad needed freshening up, despite just winning the league, but the board never purchased what he asked for. Mourinho then spent months sulking about it and the team had a shocker.

• Paid Members

Yep similar scenario, and I think Gus has made a couple of lenghty posts before talking about how inept the board are during the summer transfer window following a league title win. And not just the season where they signed a load of unknown French/African defenders and Jose got the hump, I think the summer following the 2010 title win is seen as worse.

Edit: Summer 2010 you had Joe Cole, Ballack, Deco, Ricardo Carvalho and Scott Sinclair leave, with Yossi Benayoun, Kalas and Ramires brought in.

• Paid Members

Why aren't Chelsea buying players? The well hasn't run dry and I can't imagine they give a shit about FFP. I can't remember a team winning the title and entering a new season with so much negativity surrounding them.

It was great.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why aren't Chelsea buying players? The well hasn't run dry and I can't imagine they give a shit about FFP. I can't remember a team winning the title and entering a new season with so much negativity surrounding them.

We do pay attention to FFP though. I'd say we are one of the few large clubs that really has. The entire point of the loan system was to be an additional money maker so that we complied with it. We also started selling players off at high value more frequently to cover the fact that we don't have the revenue stream of someone like United, or get directly sponsored by a country like Man City.

I'm not going to plead poverty, but we can't financially compete with either of the Manchester clubs in a straight shootout anymore. It's not just a revenue thing, we're trying to tighten the purse strings to pay for the ludicrously expensive Stamford Bridge redevelopment, until that is finished, we still have a small and not especially well equipped ground for a club of our size that doesn't bring in enough money. Add to this the fact that Roman has gone through an (apparently) financially damaging divorce and has noted openly how he wants the club to be self sufficient at some point, and the money available is nowhere near it was a decade ago in relative terms. 

In all honesty, as PunkStep said, the dread was because we've been here before. Every fucking time we have won the title we have sat on our hands. I'd still say the window last Summer was better than when we eviscerated Ancellotti's double winning side in favour of Benayouyn and Josh McEachran. That was soul destroying. I actually preferred that title winning side to the Mourinho versions (despite the fact it wasn't as good). Brilliantly incisive and clinical attacking play with Drogba and Lampard having their best seasons statistically. 

I've been thinking about who could potentially become the next Chelsea manager and I've tried to channel the complex psyche of Roman Abramovich. 

He likes people with a pedigree at other elite European teams, for example Barcelona and Bayern Munich. 

He also likes managers who have had experience at International level. 

Another trait he likes to bring former staff back for a second chance or have a crack at the big job. 

He likes people who win silverware, someone who has won trophies at most clubs he has been at. 

And finally Roman seems to be keeping a close eye on the purse-strings so he will need to get someone who is currently out of work. 

For me there is only one answer. No, not Carlo Ancelotti, this man. 

mark-hughes-stoke-city.jpg?w=300&h=225&auto=compress,enhamce,format&fit=clip

Rodriguez charged over Bong incident; could face lengthy ban.

http://www.the42.ie/west-brom-striker-charged-by-fa-over-racist-abuse-3841740-Feb2018/

White footballers get into tiffs with each other in every game and that gesture is never used, so you can't help but wonder if it was related to his skin colour, since that also happens to be an (untrue) stereotype about people of African origin.

It's a difficult one though because you can't prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

2 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

White footballers get into tiffs with each other in every game and that gesture is never used, so you can't help but wonder if it was related to his skin colour, since that also happens to be an (untrue) stereotype about people of African origin.

I remember a Villa player (possibly Ian Taylor) doing the bad breath gesture towards Theo Zagorakis many many years ago. 

I really hope Rodriguez is just an oblivious idiot and not a malicious racist. To be honest I'm tempted to think he just made a ridiculous childish taunt because Bong got so close to him, but I imagine the truth will come out quickly and if he has indeed made the comment that Bong alleges, he deserves to have the book thrown at him.

Awful news about Liam Miller. I saw his name trending on Twitter and just knew that's what it was going to be, although I wasn't actually aware he was battling cancer. May he rest in peace.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

That Lacazette was a bit shit today wasnt he? That miss in the last minute ...

You get the feeling his days are numbered after Aubameyang's arrival. The thing that's disappointed me the most with him is that he's always looked rapid, yet he's not been that quick since we signed him.

12 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You get the feeling his days are numbered after Aubameyang's arrival. The thing that's disappointed me the most with him is that he's always looked rapid, yet he's not been that quick since we signed him.

Atletico will probably come back in for him when Griezmann moves on. If it wasn't for the transfer embargo th euros had there is a good chance he'd already be there. Then the transfer merry-go-round will begin again. 

Do you not think he has had his nose a bit out of joint with the Aubameyang signing. Once Sanchez went he might have thought that was his chance to be the main man at Arsenal? 

Archived