General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Meanwhile, Hull City are heading for League One. A completely broken football club. On paper, a reasonable Championship squad but one that can't overcome the shit ownership, empty stands and wretched manager. It would marginally less painful if we didn't have to listen to Mr fucking Motivator Nigel Adkins trying to sprinkle hundreds and thousands on a bum log every week.

Sunderland AFC: "Hold my beer..."

I know how you feel though, but I think we win that game of self-destruction Top Trumps - a rare victory for us this season mind. Though not the manager part, Coleman is a handsome bastard.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, METAL ON METAL said:

Sunderland AFC: "Hold my beer..."

I know how you feel though, but I think we win that game of self-destruction Top Trumps - a rare victory for us this season mind. Though not the manager part, Coleman is a handsome bastard.

Yours is stranger. We know why we're destructing.We're being punished for daring to not want to be "Hull Tigers". This is the commupence. The owners are taking back their investment and we're suffering for it. I've never known why Short is letting you go to shit.

2 hours ago, thicko said:

That’s an interesting take on Nige. The best manager we (Scunthorpe) ever had. I take it he’s been found out at a higher level? 

That's probably a bit unfair because he did do a great job at Southampton but after failing at Reading and Sheff United, the magic's definitely wore off. It isn't all his fault here, it was already crap and the owners are most of the reason for that. He is managing to make things worse rather than better though.

I've never liked him. When he was at Scunny, his interviews would make me want to drive into the Humber. If he was successful, he'd still be an overbearing bellend but I could live with it more!

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Yours is stranger. We know why we're destructing.We're being punished for daring to not want to be "Hull Tigers". This is the commupence. The owners are taking back their investment and we're suffering for it. I've never known why Short is letting you go to shit.

That's probably a bit unfair because he did do a great job at Southampton but after failing at Reading and Sheff United, the magic's definitely wore off. It isn't all his fault here, it was already crap and the owners are most of the reason for that. He is managing to make things worse rather than better though.

I've never liked him. When he was at Scunny, his interviews would make me want to drive into the Humber. If he was successful, he'd still be an overbearing bellend but I could live with it more!

Interesting. I always thought everyone thought he was a breath of fresh air as far as managers go. Obviously our glasses were rose tinted and you lot were always gonna dislike his success here, but I thought overall he was well thought of. For what it’s worth I met him twice, first time thought he was great, second time he was quite rude at an end of season event thing, though I think I’d be quite rude after interacting with a lot of our fans for any length of time. 

Football in a nutshell:

Dermot Gallagher: “on every game changing decision the officials got it right. They showed what a strong team they are.”

Cut to...

Jurgen Klopp: “we had no chance with the officials refereeing the way they did. It’s impossible. But I guess that’s the level.”

Also, ad bonkers as some of the EPL football is, anyone who trots out the ‘best league in the world’ line anymore needs shooting. 

Just now, d-d-d-dAz said:

anyone who trots out the ‘best league in the world’ line anymore needs shooting. 

It depends on what they mean by "Best", in terms of quality and ability? Nope.  In terms of entertainment? Possibly, but I'd say those who trot out that line probably have their football watching made up with 85% Prem, and the majority of the rest with european nights with the odd La Liga thrown in.  Essentially, they aren't qualified to make a robust argument so therefore they do need shooting.

• Paid Members

The thing is obviously subjective but there are a lot of measurable aspects that would suggest it is the best league. It's financial value, domestically and around the world. The viewers of games. The interest it generates.

I know that's all a bit "One Direction sell the most albums" but if you consider attendances, goals per game, number of international players,  etc then it's always right up there. Going back to subjectively, it just has an aura of being exciting and I think the historical aspect is important. The number of great old clubs there are in this country is second to none. In what other country would all of the likes of Villa, Forest, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Derby, Wolves, Birmingham, Sunderland, etc all not even be able to get into the thing.

For me, the only real measure of "best" is performance in continental cups and while we are bouncing back recently, Spain's dominance suggests that's still "best". However, given it is subjective, I'm more interested in the league with a number of great teams, exciting games, major dramas and a proper title race. So it's Serie A at the moment.

8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I know that's all a bit "One Direction sell the most albums" but if you consider attendances, goals per game, number of international players,  etc then it's always right up there

Doesn't that criteria mean the Championship better than Serie A and Ligue 1?

• Awards Moderator
20 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

The sheer amount of salt from Liverpool fans on Twitter this evening is beautiful. 

My favourite is this one, claiming Spurs’ bias on the part of Jon Moss due to the Jewish background taken from the Wikipedia entry for Jon Moss, the drummer in Culture Club.

28F5A883-85AE-4307-8D69-16304334A77C.thumb.jpeg.8f47481951bfcdc6807f020d8952ef3c.jpeg

Archived