General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

I've turned to corner on Cuckold Southgate. Think the last two games have shown that he's the man to continue Big Sam's legacy of free-flowing attacking football. 

I was fine with him playing the kids to be honest. Good experience and they didn't disgrace themselves. Not like the first XI is awash with quality. 

I'm not going to lie, and my penalty quip aside, but the thought of Southgate as manager has grown on me lately. Are we going to win the World Cup under him next year? No, we are not (a bit of Garth Crooks for you there @Keith Houchen). But NO manager in the world will win anything with this squad.

What Southgate is doing, which his previous involvement with elite development and the u21s helps with, is laying the foundation for the next generation of the senior team. Blood in some youngsters and try to make the most of the incredible success our youth teams have had this year. Of course this is only part of it, and long term these players need to be playing regularly at a decent level, but giving them the experience now can certainly help. How hungry did Abraham, Loftus Cheek, Gomez and Solanke look during these games? It's quite encouraging.

Of course, these youngsters could turn to shit like the Dutch u21 2007 side did and put us in a crisis ten years later where we can't qualify for anything...

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is hope for England next summer and I hope Southgate sticks with the youth project and selects a few of the young prospects. For one it would be exciting to watch and not the usual halfheartedness that comes with England, secondly there will be an element of no fear and after the success of the England teams this pass year at younger levels that can only spur and encourage England. Thirdly with quite a few big names already not at the World Cup it bodes well for England's chances if they get the right draw.

I hope the media and nation is supportive and Southgate doesn't get pressured into picking the usual players as is often the case when the World Cup is a month or so away. Would rather we take a chance with these young players (not the whole squad obviously). Southgate would at least have some respect for having the bottle to do so whatever happens. 

Southgate is a drip. The team is at it’s lowest quality wise i can ever remember. Anyone with a talent like Deli Ali just morphs into a boring sideways passing puppet when they play for England. How anyone can even be slightly excited about England is beyond me. Come the tournament it will be Llalana, Henderson, Dier, Ali, Kane etc.....all the same as the last tournament, hopefully no Joe Hart (why he is still in goal is beyond me), should be a squad player and no more. Then if they escape the group stages theyl be out the next round. 

England players arent allowed to be creative anymore. 

• Paid Members

I hope during one of the group games Southgate's ankle-swinger trousers fall down when he's at the touchline and the opposition manager boots him up arse, while his assistant empties his shiny briefcase onto the grass. 

• Paid Members

I don't think Southgate is any more or less culpable for England being boring and completely lacking in dynamism than the managers before him. He can only work with what he's got, but he's doing the right thing pushing more age group players into the fold like Solanke. He should sling in Sancho and Foden as well and say balls to whether they're playing for their clubs. Get them involved and get them ready for Euro 2020.

• Paid Members

I agree with Dev. I wasn't a fan of the Southgate appointment because it prioritised an English manager over a good manager and I don't think his qualification games were anything to get excited about. What he's done in these last two games is far more exciting. Forgetting what the players are doing at club level and fostering an England team is the right thing to do. There are countless examples recently of teams who've been able to acheive with average players because they treat the national squad like a team, they bring players through together and they work on their system with the same players regardless of whether they're playing for their club or not. Greece did it in 2004, Iceland and Northern Ireland recently, Wales last year to an extent (the obvious Bale caveat).

We clearly have a massive problem getting young English players game time in big games - so Southgate doing it himself is very sensible. Love Dev's suggestions of Sancho and Foden. Get them in the U18, the U21 and the full squad. Get them playing the sort of game we want to play 15-20 times a year and reap the rewards.

• Paid Members

I also think the players need to take more responsibility, like Sancho has. It's no good them all sitting around at City and Chelsea with little chance of getting in the first team and waiting until they're 20 so they can get a loan to Bournemouth or Watford. They need to go out and find clubs where they will get first team football, and essentially force Southgate's hand. I know Sancho hasn't played much at Dortmund but he's clearly closer to the first team than he would be at City, and at a club which has a superb reputation with nurturing young talent.

Southgate needs to foster his own team. If he picked Foden or Sancho or Marcus Edwards then you'd get loads of people bleating about their lack of experience and the fact they're not playing. Well, these kids are winners already and in a far more positive place than the majority of the senior squad. Push their understanding of each other's game into the senior ranks, and it would count for a lot.

• Paid Members

Foden looks sensational. Watching him in the U17 World Cup Final, his footwork is absolutely brilliant. It's no wonder Pep speaks so highly of him, his close control is reminiscent of the great Barca midfielders that Pep had at his disposal. He can create space out of nothing. Looked a little bit greedy at times, trying to get a shot off rather than looking around, but to be fair he seems to have talent to make those chances worthwhile.

Dortmund clearly have plans for Sancho in the first team if they were only willing to let him play in the group stages of the U17 World Cup, so that sounds promising for him.

I agree with the above, but come tournament time under Southgate, barring loads of injuries it will be the same team as most of the qualifying games. The youngsters were picked as a necessity rather than first choice. And if England do shite at the world cup and Southgate gets the boot a new manager will have his own ideas. Saying that though, i think Southgate will still be there after the world cup if Hodgson is anything to go by.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Teedy Kay said:

Add Angel Gomes to that list too, an exceptionally adept attacking midfielder who'll be pushing Alli for his starting place in a few years if he can get the game time at club level.

He isn't going to get that at United so Southgate or whoever is manager needs to ignore that. Plus Gomes needs to find a club where he'll get game time, and do it sooner or later. He isn't going to get game time under Mourinho.

• Paid Members

Gomes I can really see in the current climate of people like Sancho leaving and Liverpool bringing people like Woodburn through being sent out on loan next year. Recently promoted Championship to Premier side or perhaps one of the teams relegated this season but he isn't going to sit on the bench or in the u23's for years, he's got to be smart enough to see what happened with Sancho but also Pogba and the likes of taking your ball and walking if the opportunities aren't presented.

Archived