General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

Does Garth Crooks always ask himself a question so he can answer it?  Yes he does.

Best bit of punditry I've seen was during the World Cup one year on Dave.  All the usual pundits had been bagged by the sports channels so they had anyone in who had a connection to which country was playing.  The best one was Englands pundit, Brian Blessed.

He'd just talk about anything while slapping the knee of the host, but the highlight was he was going on about Newcastle because he supports them.  The host was trying to wrap up to cut to an ad as Big Bri said he could name the Newcastle cup winning team. The host was facing camera looking nervous as Blessed started saying them, each name getting louder than the last.  The hosts lips were moving but all you heard as they cut to an ad break was "AND JACKIE MILBURN!!!!"

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Does Garth Crooks always ask himself a question so he can answer it?  Yes he does.

Best bit of punditry I've seen was during the World Cup one year on Dave.  All the usual pundits had been bagged by the sports channels so they had anyone in who had a connection to which country was playing.  The best one was Englands pundit, Brian Blessed.

He'd just talk about anything while slapping the knee of the host, but the highlight was he was going on about Newcastle because he supports them.  The host was trying to wrap up to cut to an ad as Big Bri said he could name the Newcastle cup winning team. The host was facing camera looking nervous as Blessed started saying them, each name getting louder than the last.  The hosts lips were moving but all you heard as they cut to an ad break was "AND JACKIE MILBURN!!!!"

This is three paragraphs of wonderful.

Merson has to be up there with the worst pundits at the moment. I used to quite like him but lately he keeps coming out with the stupidest comments ever. The one about ‘If Harry Redknapp was Arsenal manager they’d win the league’ was a corker. Fucking idiot.

• Awards Moderator

Back to football matches, and Italy are on the verge of not qualifying after losing their first-leg qualifier against Sweden.

Unless the world’s oldest lurker is on here, none of us have been alive since the last time they failed to qualify. It may just be me, but a World Cup without Italy, no matter how good or bad they are at the time, seems absolutely mental. It’s almost like Brazil not being there.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Every once in a while, I see if someone has uploaded it to YouTube.  Alas no.

I know, I spent ages looking for it after reading your post! I lost it at Jamie Milburn.

Some encouraging performances tonight, Loftus-Cheek in particular. Looked so confident going forward. If he makes the World Cup squad, he'll be a tremendous loan signing for someone next season. Tammy looked lively.

Hopefully Southgate has the bottle to omit players for the World Cup that really aren't up to the standard. Hart, Henderson, Ox etc.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Some encouraging performances tonight, Loftus-Cheek in particular. Looked so confident going forward. If he makes the World Cup squad, he'll be a tremendous loan signing for someone next season.

He’s just got it. So confident on the ball, one step ahead and a proper football brain. Didn’t watch the game tonight but it’s how he’s been in the games he’s played for us this season. Way too good for us and whether we stay up or go down, I know by the end of the season he’ll have been a pleasure to watch. Really hope he goes on to make the final WC squad and on to a decent team after us. 

• Paid Members

Well, with an all-time great England manager now at the helm, hopefully he'll help keep your lot up with his performances!

I can't see who else we can have as a back-up to Dele Alli in that role. Good thing is, Southgate will know him (and many others) well from his stints as u21 manager and working for the elite development thingy. Could be the start of the highly talented young English players coming through.

I am more interested watching England with the younger players than the same old senior squad, think this is the way to go with England. Youth prospects with no egos, status or half hearted attitude.

Speaking of pundits. I never thought I would like Rio but he comes across well on BT Sports, Lampard is doing well too. 

Craig Burley used to be the worst on Prem Plus, I have no idea where he is nowadays. Hoddle spends half the time saying 'Errr' but Michael Owen has to be up there as one of the worst with his captain obvious comments. 

Put me down as another who hates Garth Crooks, I think he is the reason why I don't even tune into the BBC football results, would rather see the scores online than watch anything he has to say. 

7 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Craig Burley used to be the worst on Prem Plus, I have no idea where he is nowadays.

He's like a Scottish Paul Merson, even down to the missing teeth. He does Premier League coverage on ESPN with Shaka Hislop and some others. There was an awful debate last month when Aguero was involved in a car accident in Amsterdam and Burley was ranting about how wrong it was for him to be travelling abroad midweek. The other pundits pointed out that it's not even an hours flight away and would be no different than driving to London but Craig was having none of it.

Archived