Names that define a horrible period

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Looking for names that make you shudder because they instantly take you back to a horrible period of wrestling that you could have lived without ever seeing.

SNITSKY

Fucking hell, he was shit. A talentless twat who had no business being in their system. Arrived on Raw in a horrible period in the mid 00s when it was so stale and started a horrible series with Kane that interrupted a horribler (SIC) feud between Kane and Matt Hardy and Lita and Edge which bled into the real-life Edge shagging Lita stuff. Meanwhile Raw was being dominated, again, by Triple H after benoit's title run had bombed and they'd arse-raped Orton. The only saving grave being that Snitsky's introduction wasn't to literally arse-rape Orton. Horrible time for the company, Smackdown was somehow even worse.

Ugly, back-acne freak.

That meeting at the Rumble between Snitsky and Heidenreich (?). Jesus.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Smoking Gunns. Loved Billy Gunn during the later years, but they were the top team during the period where all the big stars like Hogan, Warrior, LOD, Bulldog etc left and before Austin, Rock and Mankind came in. Two great periods seemed to book end the Smoking Gunns run. Also, anyone could be a Smoking Gunn. You could go to Sainsburys dressed as Bart Gunn's Hasbro for little money. It went from spiked shoulder pads and Sgt Pepper Jackets and 400 pound men in singlets to blokes in jeans and cowboy hates seemingly over night. Sort of sumed up the downgrade in wrestling to me.

Snitsky would get a pass with me for one single thing:

KI8jPr0.gif

Look how high it goes!

Bam Neely however. Jesus. Part of the absolutely wank "stable" La Familia. Basically consisted of Edge and several people designed to drag him down in 2007 or so.

Kenzo Suzuki. Both brands were in the shitter at the time, but Suzuki actually got a mild push and was US Champ and tag champ for a while if I remember right. Remember him winning a three way with Mysterio & RVD at one point. Smackdown was legitimately horrible at the time, filled with duds like The Basham Brothers and their S+M themed manager from Tough Enough, Luther Reigns, Mark Jindrak, Heidenreich & Animal, Chavito and his da, Fucking Renee Dupree, and his dog with Tazz doing stupid commentary whenever he did his crap dance. Just a depressing time.

You certainly wouldn't get away with the introduction angle he had today. Especially involving something as sensitive as miscarriage in a storyline, let alone create a running joke regarding it. To think the guy wound up with a foot fetish gimmick of all things after that was over.

• Paid Members

Everything in this thread is why I stopped watching week to week and have never gone back to it. Punctuated by JBL's awful run on top.

The mid-90's were similarly awful but somehow being young made it easier to watch. I'm gonna go with the Bastion Booger - I'll never forget watching Big Breakfast and the kid from family of the week was a massive wrestling fan and they built up that they had a surprise wrestling guest. They'd done well with previous guests with Tatanka and Jim Duggan doing entertaining segments with Zig and Zag but then the Booger came out and gave this kid his own replica of his wrestling gear - silver spangly trunks with matching strips that crossed over his torso.

The kids tried his best to play it well but you could tell he died inside that day.

• Paid Members

Ernest Miller. Mike Awesome. Vampiro. Misfits in Action. Shane Douglas. Booker T. Jeff Jarrett. Basically the majority if wCw 2000. Awful because 1989-1994 and then 1996-1999 are fantastic.

• Paid Members

Slightly left field here as it wasn't a worker.

THE ANONYMOUS RAW GM

I watched pretty frequently up until this point. It was about when this fucktastic idea came to the fore that I started to think maybe this isn't for me anymore. Haven't really gone back since.

• Members

Lex Fucking Luger's WWF run pretty much singlehandedly stopped me watching for about three or four years. In fact I can pinpoint it to his entrance at Caesars' Palace at Wrestlemania IX making me at 8 years old think "This is bullshit" while he stood posing with his back to a load of mirrors with sparklers blowing all over the place. I don't think I've ever enjoyed anything he's done come to think of it, but this was the fucking line.

wrestlemania-9-lex-luger_2069699.jpeg

Wanker.

Archived