Names that define a horrible period

tiger_rick

THE ANONYMOUS RAW GM

You know what I hate most about this angle?

I bought it. Lapped it right up. Worked like a canary down the mine. The embarrassment I felt when it turned it to be fucking Hornswoggle. I thought it was going to be some massive storyline but nah, it's Hornswoggle and he's McMahon's bastard son. Was that even the same angle, fuck knows, there's been so much shit thrown at the fan (literally and figuratively), that it gets hard to seperate.

I thought it had great potential too. It gets forgotten now, but for a while they seemed to pretty clearly be building towards Michael Cole being revealed as i) the anonymous Raw GM (i.e. he hadn't really been reading e-mails from anyone this whole time) and ii) the higher power (or whatever Barrett called it) behind the Nexus.

It sounds a bit mad now, but at the time I felt like it could have had serious legs. Using the crowd's genuine antipathy towards Cole, which they pandered to during his entertaining feud with Lawler, to turn him into a latter day Mr McMahon character. It might've made the interminably dull and inconceivably over rated Nexus angle a bit more interesting too.

Real shame they didn't resolve that storyline properly. That moment when The Rock went to read one of the GM's e-mails during the Mania 27 main event got a big pop when the crowd momentarily thought Rock was going to reveal that he was the GM. The right reveal would have been great.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobby Lashley (2005 - 2007)

This 'Bathurd' was horrendous with promos, didn't show any real charisma and was given the ECW Championship because Vince McMahon likes big sweaty men. The only highlights of his WWE run was a surprisingly good match with John Cena and his splash onto Umaga on ECW, other than that he did nothing. Vince McMahon did all the work to build and promote the Battle of Billionaires at Mania 23.

Lashley has become watchable now in his second TNA run but 10 years ago, he was shit in my opinion.

I'd say for WWECW 2006-2011 the shit would be found in guys like Bob Holly and Test being pushed as some of the top guys when they were far far passed their prime. Test looking like he was about to explode at any moment from all the juice.

• Paid Members

Kenzo Suzuki. Both brands were in the shitter at the time, but Suzuki actually got a mild push and was US Champ and tag champ for a while if I remember right.

You do not. Kenzo did not win John Cena's US title in 04/05.

Also, Teddy Long as Smackdown General Manager

Every week saw the same shenanigans that made me nearly turn the channel over... one guy cuts a promo, another interrupts, followed by two more interruptions.. out comes teddy with "hold on a second playas, since the four of you cant seem to get along i'm gonna put you in a tag-team match against eachother"..... 

This. Every week was the same old shit. Its what killed Smackdown for me. 

That and when the likes of Hardcore Holly were main eventing, Hardcore Holly facing Brock Lesnar for the World Title, how insulting. Just think about that for a second.

I know the angle was that Brock put him out on the shelf, but that should never have happened on PPV for a world title. Eurgh. 

Ah, I think Holly deserved a decent pay day after what happened him, wouldn't begrudge him that temp main event run at all. Build up was only 2 or 3 weeks, and Rumble was always going to be the main attraction of the PPV anyway so not like business would suffer.

• Paid Members

Lex Fucking Luger's WWF run pretty much singlehandedly stopped me watching for about three or four years. In fact I can pinpoint it to his entrance at Caesars' Palace at Wrestlemania IX making me at 8 years old think "This is bullshit" while he stood posing with his back to a load of mirrors with sparklers blowing all over the place. I don't think I've ever enjoyed anything he's done come to think of it, but this was the fucking line.

wrestlemania-9-lex-luger_2069699.jpeg

Wanker.

Bit harsh. Cracker of a picture. Probably Lex's only decent Wrestlemania moment too.

Could have been dodgy if the wind was blowing the other direction though.

Archived