The Evolution of Roman Reigns

FUM

He's always going to get booed against Taker Mania by the dickheads 

So hes the face? and taker is the heel? im confused 

My point was that if they want Reigns to be face and aren't planning on turning him sticking him against a wrestling legend who'll get cheered regardless (like he did against Lesnar when Taker was supposed to be heel) Reigns will get booed by the dickheads even though he's meant to be face.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They're both faces. But the smarter crowd will favour Undertaker. It's hardly confusing.

The crowd were booing bloody Goldberg on Monday, because he beat the midcard fat lad by being Goldberg, instead of doing a kickout fest. For all of WWE's faults, I've finally come to the realisation that this group of fans are impossible - Goldberg's probably getting booed at 'Mania, for example.

It was even more bloody stupid when they were chanting 'Goldberg' at Owens earlier in the night. Then they cheered Goldberg up until he got in the ring. Then boos really started and the Punk chants came in.

I knew this shit was coming anyway as soon I read they were going to put the belt on Bill.

Be interesting how the crowd reacts when he's next on Raw tbh.

I honestly think a lot of this tracks back to him getting injured in 2014.

So he got hurt just before Night of Champions that year. However, instead of WWE capitalising on this and bringing him back at the Rumble, they clearly feared if he wasn't on TV he'd be forgotten. Every week we got a new update from Roman saying how he's looking forward to coming back and kicking ass. He basically took up Randy Orton's RNN gimmick, except he wasn't supposed to be an annoying dick heel, he was supposed to be a face. From there, he transitions into an endless feud with Big Show that was just a shitload of boring DQ and countout wins.

All this time WWE could've been working under the 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' theory, bringing different people forward as forerunners for the Rumble whilst keeping Roman on the back burner. They shot themselves in the foot by putting Bryan in the same Rumble of course, but even if we assume that was kept the same, I seriously doubt we get Dem Wans putting the boot into Roman as much as we did.

From there, fuck, how long have you got?

If Roman is another 5 Moves Of Doom type, what's his fifth one? He's got the Spear, Superman Punch, Drive By. I'd add his admittedly pretty badass Crucix/Sitout Powerbomb. Shame how he gets a "You still suck" chant after it. Does it matter? It's so cool! Does that have a name? So what's his fifth?

I've slowly warmed to him. He certainly does have it. It's just a question of if it came out in the right way. When they do The Shield reunion someday. Get the gear out. Doesn't work as well seeing as he still kept the theme and gear. If it's big guys Vince McMahon is supposed to like, it's peculiar they'd still have him in it. He's an ex American Football player and those guys have the ideal physique for it. Why would they not show it off, you know?

He doesn't need to heel up. He needs to man up. Ditch the body armour (regardless of how effective it's supposed to be, it looks like he's afraid to get hit by wearing it, and looks even dumber when he sells body shots) and stop selling so damn much. I want to see him take some lumps and shrug them off instantly then batter the fool. Yes, that's more Superman, but I want to get behind someone superstrong and super tough. He needs to feud with multiple heels at once, maybe take a prolonged kicking from a stable, then come back stronger after a few weeks to try to beat the odds. Heels should always outnumber your faces, and one on one, you know there's no threat he can't overcome. He needs to be brought low to spark a new attitude. I'm dream booking and rambling. I want him to be good. He clearly is. But I don't feel it.

• Paid Members

He doesn't need to heel up. He needs to man up. Ditch the body armour (regardless of how effective it's supposed to be, it looks like he's afraid to get hit by wearing it, and looks even dumber when he sells body shots) and stop selling so damn much. I want to see him take some lumps and shrug them off instantly then batter the fool. Yes, that's more Superman, but I want to get behind someone superstrong and super tough. He needs to feud with multiple heels at once, maybe take a prolonged kicking from a stable, then come back stronger after a few weeks to try to beat the odds. Heels should always outnumber your faces, and one on one, you know there's no threat he can't overcome. He needs to be brought low to spark a new attitude. I'm dream booking and rambling. I want him to be good. He clearly is. But I don't feel it.

Yeah, Roman being Superman should help with the dissenters.

They're both faces. But the smarter crowd will favour Undertaker. It's hardly confusing.
Hardly makes the crowd dickheads though, does it?

Surely though, having him as a heel receiving a smithering amount of Cheers from Dem Wanz is much better than having him booed to high heaven as is currently.

I'm picturing the reaction to be similar to what a Kevin Owens gets.

It won't be a smithering. It will be the people booing him cheering if he's a good heel. Leave him as the hero to the kids who make them money in merch and tickets, not the weirdos out to pop themselves and acting cool when they are just worst cunts forever forgetting wrestling is there to invest in. Don't get the mentality of paying big money to go see something they apparently "don't enjoy". Don't go then

He's a weird one, Roman. I genuinely look forward to his PPV matches, pretty much regardless of who it's against. He's come to be extremely reliable there. I even liked the match with Strowman a fair bit. But for the four weeks between them I'm completely off-board. The second he's asked to cut a promo it's almost universally disappointing. He's just not likeable, is he? He drips this "cool guy" demeanour that's really hard to root for. And it makes me wonder...

How many faces have ever gotten over with a "cool" gimmick? I specifically mean a gimmick where basically you're just a cool, suave, attractive guy. It might be loads and I'm just being super forgetful, but off the top of my head I mostly think of "cool" characters as guys who got over as cool/cocky heels and then translated it to face runs (HBK, Razor, The Rock, Edge, Jericho etc.). And it seems to make sense, because being cool is something that most wrestling fans find inherently alienating, particularly in an era where it's a more niche and geeky interest than ever.

I think he needs the heel run just to get over this hump. I actually don't think he's inherently awful on the mic, but he needs the freedom being a heel gives you to experiment and fuck around and develop your personality/character. After that, presuming he shows himself to have the requisite charm and personality - and I think he probably would - he could probably go back to being exactly what he is now (in terms of being the heavily-pushed "cool guy" face) and fans would be much more supportive. He'd be looser and the crowd would feel less like they've been force-fed. It'd be better for everyone.

• Paid Members

If he's generating revenue for the company they'll want him in a position to be able to best shift that merchandise. Kids like him and badger their parents to buy his shirts and stuff for them, so they keep him in that position.

There are benefits to keeping him as he is, but what's gained from turning him heel? I don't know what the purpose is there, other than placating people who a)already have the WWE network, and b)will find something else to moan about anyway. If the goal is just flipping him for the sake of another babyface push that won't get boos, that won't work. If the goal is building him to be the big, maximum-heat villain champion to put over a Finn Balor or Sami Zayn type, he'll get far more heat as is than he would if he was booked as a villain.

Archived