WWE HoF Class of 2017

mikehoncho

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sid is a bona fide headliner. Should be one every year.

How wrestling history has been written hasn't been kind to Sid. Go back and watch him, everywhere he went from 1989 until 1999 and you'll see how over he was. Sid really was a star and came over as such in WCW, WWF and ECW during the Monday Night Wars. He headlined two WrestleManias and, what was at the time, the event with the second highest attendance in US history (Royal Rumble 97).

It's easy to think of him as a big muscle man who liked playing softball more than wrestling and was never much of an in-ring worker, but he was a proper headline attraction. In his day, I'd say he ment as much or more to the business as Kurt Angle did.

• Paid Members

The leg break was a killer for Sidney. When Jerry Jarrett was searching high and wide for wrestlers in 2002, Sid would have arguably been the biggest free agent you could have built TNA around. And he probably would have got another short run in WWE when they were hiring every old bloke in 2002.

Doesnt help that he was one of those guys who played the big 2 off of each other throughout the 90s when they were desperate for a shot in the arm every so often and when the business became a monopoly his bargaining power died with it.

• Paid Members

Sid is a bona fide headliner. Should be one every year.

How wrestling history has been written hasn't been kind to Sid. Go back and watch him, everywhere he went from 1989 until 1999 and you'll see how over he was. Sid really was a star and came over as such in WCW, WWF and ECW during the Monday Night Wars. He headlined two WrestleManias and, what was at the time, the event with the second highest attendance in US history (Royal Rumble 97).

It's easy to think of him as a big muscle man who liked playing softball more than wrestling and was never much of an in-ring worker, but he was a proper headline attraction. In his day, I'd say he ment as much or more to the business as Kurt Angle did.

I like Sid, he had a good look and used right he was great fun.

However his short comings were too big. He was great in a squash or looking like a motherfucker as muscle but in more he was too exposed.

He was often put in top line positions out of necessity, to make money off the initial buzz of squashes or because he'd been used as such enough to create the illusion of being a big draw to some people, bro.

The knowledge that the plan for WM 13 was Sid vs Taker for the belt with Bret Vs Shawn underneath before smiles were lost was a hell of an insight.

Especially given Sid only got a foot in the door because warrior ran off and they needed a filler for his advertised house shows.

• Paid Members

I was always a mark from Sid from first seeing him 1990-91-ish to early 1997. Also his "run" in ECW.

I think he was hurt by the return to WCW. It made everyone a no-mark and for Sid, his promos became tragic and his work absolutely rotten. He was never a workhorse but his stuff wasn't bad before that. He could have a decent match with the right guy and was always fun to watch kill a jobber.

There's a lot retrospectively pinned on him that was only true of those later years when he became really, really, really shit.

• Moderators

It says a lot that the "smarter" crowds would also go mad for Sid. Loads of NWA 89 crowds, MSG, ECW. Everytime he was a heel the crowds would turn him face too. HBKs face turn saw the crowd loving Sid pasting him.

Archived