Didn't even have to use my AK (minor annoyances)

Gus Mears

People when they play the same song three or four times in a row. I can barely listen to Guns n Roses anymore because of my mam playing some of their tracks on repeat. Three guesses which tracks they were.

wow, this has triggered a memory for me.

New Year's Day, 2014 i think. I'm hungover and coming down a little bit at work after going out with my gf the previous night. I worked at a little grotty hotel and my role was just doing the odd-jobs, and today's was to get on my hands and knees and clean out the filthy ballroom from the night before.

one of the young caretakers is in and out of the room, and then she brings her ipod speakers in, cos relaxed rules, New Year's Day and everything - sweet. 

'Happy' by Pharrell comes on. it's the first time I've heard this song as I'm good at sheltering myself from pop-culture. it's catchy. Pharrell's hit and miss but I can tolerate this. Of course though, it's on repeat-one mode. So by the third run I'm pretty fucking keen to hear something else. She's only dropping in and out of the room, briefly humming for 30 seconds while she collects something before going back on her way. I'm the one on my hands and knees in this room the entire time. The song looped at least ten times, it felt like much much more. My headache is rising, nausea's creeping round the corner. Some glass off the floor finds its way into my hand. "Cos I'm happyyyyyyy". You could've ended me right there and then and I'd have thanked you for your empathy.

So yeah, Pharrell - Happy. instantly makes me think of craving death in that miserable zero hour contract job. it's stuck in my head now and winding me up

Also there was a good two or three separate people I know, who just would not stop putting on that fucking wanky "Once I was seven years old" song last year. Ugh it was just dreck. They wouldn't put it on repeat thankfully, but if we were hanging out the song would often just start playing with no warning from some tinny phone and it's like...spare me, please. Always that song. Don't you guys like a second song? Even if it's just by the wanker who did that, show me his back catalogue, show me fucking anything but "once I was seven years old".  I'm in the process of finding new friends now.

I am now off to blast ragga jungle at Father Stack volumes to get these songs out my head

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My missus has a terrible habit of using bread and leaving the bag open afterwards and it drives me mental.  She absolutely refuses to believe that it hastens the molding process considerably and makes the top few slices brick hard.  In fact she generally refuses to believe in any kind of food based bacteria.  She thinks I'm mental because I stack the fridge in a certain order with raw meat at the bottom etc.

If we get the freshly baked bread with the little sticky tie around the top, my missus will ALWAYS rip a hole in the bag rather than just cut the little tie off. Told her many times. Still does it. Then wonders why it's stale tomorrow.

• Paid Members

How Americans pronounce 'mirror'. There was a dental(?) ad on a minute ago. "MEEYARUH".

Much the same as they pronounce warrior ... aka WARYAH ... talk prolerpy like what we does innit?

Accents I can handle, and I'll even forgive them for the way they pronounce jaguar, but that weird pseudo-yokel/Bristolian accent the Americans adopt to say the word "herb" drives me fucking nuts. They don't do it for kerb or verb, which annoys me even more.

• Members

Songs on repetition driving you mad - here's one. So I grew up in quite a nice area considering it was all three bed semi's, but when the old woman next door croaked, this bird of about 30 moved in with her two kids. She was pretty rough in a way noone in my street was used to, always shouting and shagging random blokes before lobbing crockery at them in the road a week later and asking everyone "YOU LOT LOOKIN AT?" and slamming doors. She was also clumsy as fuck as a driver and it's a narrow road so she used to scuff other cars all the time and dare someone to do something about it - "PROVE IT! WANKAA"

Her son was a little freak as well. He was about six or seven and used to just slowly ride his bike up and down the road and would stop and stare in the front window of everyone's house through his ginger bowl cut and dead eyes.

So anyway she used to play house/jungle music all the time really loud and my dad used to go absolutely spare about it until one day he was enjoying a particularly good Hitler documentary and had enough of it. So he goes out the back, no shirt on, jeans undone and leans over the fence and bellows at her to knock it the fuck off. She then responds by playing Flat Eric on repeat for about four hours with my old man bashing on the wall. She did this every night for about two weeks til my mum went round and resolved it. She moved out shortly after, posting a letter through our door telling my dad he's a massive twat on the day she left. Coward.

The next neighbour in that house is a story for another day. He's clocked up some highlights himself.

• Awards Moderator

She did this every night for about two weeks til my mum went round and resolved it.

Woah woah woah. What happened there? Did your Mrs AAD cut an ice-cold promo on her? Pull a knife? Poo in her washing machine?

Nah she's a "sit down with a cup of tea and let's find out where your anger comes from" kind of person.

Too much testosterone.  Has to have been, what with all the cock she was getting.

How Americans pronounce 'mirror'. There was a dental(?) ad on a minute ago. "MEEYARUH".

Much the same as they pronounce warrior ... aka WARYAH ... talk prolerpy like what we does innit?

Accents I can handle, and I'll even forgive them for the way they pronounce jaguar, but that weird pseudo-yokel/Bristolian accent the Americans adopt to say the word "herb" drives me fucking nuts. They don't do it for kerb or verb, which annoys me even more.
They don't do it for MMA ref Herb Dean either.

Two things mentioned on the last page or two has brought back some horrific memories.

Tea Bags - When I used to work in a restaurant waiters/waitresses would have this really bad habit of putting tea pots on the side to go through the glasswasher but would never ever take the tea bag out, It used to drive me mad, everything else would be emptied in the bin/sink but nobody would ever think of taking the tea bag out of the tea pot despite that very same person making the tea in the first place and knowing its in there. I would often ask how they thought the tea bag gets out of the tea pot. Minor annoyance but its a combination of being lazy and stupid.

Music on repeat - In a previous job when travelling around the country we would often have to car share to cut costs (I don't do this very well at the best of times) and some lady I had to travel with had only 8 songs on her iPod that would be played all the way to the destination (3/4 hours drive sometimes) and would even put it on shuffle....like that makes a difference with 8 songs. 

Archived