UFC 203: Miocic vs Overeem / CM Punk's debut

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I can see them maybe getting another fight or two out of Punk before it seems silly. As discussed, you're looking to bring in some right nonsense to make it a competitive fight. Anyway, his fight played out exactly as most predicted, which was total domination. Punk looked completely lost out there from the lack of takedown defence to his ground work. The fight was such a battering that they'll be showing him shadow boxing in the intro again. Fair play to Punk and I thought his promo at the end he shouted in Joe Rogan's face was a nice touch. Also, Gall sold me on the Northcutt fight.

While the main event was fun, it was also bizarre seeing Overeem decide to change up the style that was working so well for him. I don't know if he just got rocked and wasn't sure or what, but his movement was terrible and that's been a big reason for his success recently. Pleased Stipe won and Velasquez v Miocic is going to be incredible.

Like Overeem, Faber had a bit of a baffling game plan that only helped his opponent. Maybe this is the downward curve part of his career?

And that's that.

Oh aye, congrats Supremo.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they could put Punk in with the guy he choked out at Roufusport in that documentary  :p

I enjoyed the show, it was a bit mental and it helped having a hot crowd for a change.

I fancied Andrade to submit Calderwood and she did fairly comfortably. I think she'll be fighting for the title sooner rather than later at this weight. Jo is a lovely girl with exciting striking but needs to work on takedown and submission defence.

Jimmie Rivera looked comfortable against Uriah Faber. He seemed to fuck him up with a leg kick early on and never seemed in any trouble but not the greatest contest.

I won't lie, I really enjoyed watching Punk getting a thrashing and I would be keen to see it again. He clearly has no business being in there but gave a great speech at least. Fairplay Micky Gall. Some of the f-bombs in the post fight interview seemed force but a masterstroke calling out Sage Northcutt. I really want to see that now.

Such a shame Werdum couldn't finish Travis in that crazy first round as the fight was a tough watch after that. Loved the flying side kick on the bell. Travis Browne looks so shit now. He needs to find another camp before Edmund Targerian or whatever he's called completely ruin his career. What a cock and good stuff from Werdum giving him a little kick at the end.

The main event was a crazy round and very enjoyable. Stipe is a monster, very underrated I think. They have to book the fight with Cain now. And hold it in an abandoned abattoir. 

Good entertainment, I'm off to check out the prelims.

• Paid Members

Punk's post-fight press conference is fucking awesome. He came across as humble, honest about his performance, devastated, but incredibly likable. You can't help but like him when he gets choked up talking about his wife saying she was proud of him. Based on that press conference alone I'd give him one more shot. I suspect this show is going to do surprisingly well on pay per view too, which will likely help. He'd make a cracking addition to a FOX card.

It's a weird position for UFC to be in. If they cut him you can guarantee Bellator will sign him up in a second and do monster ratings on Spike with him, which was one of the reasons why UFC signed him up in the first place. To block Bellator from succeeding with him.

I read someone on Twitter suggest that they do a season of The Ultimate Fighter with super inexperienced guys, for the opportunity to fight Punk. I think it's a genuinely great idea. Have Punk on the show, along with someone like Matt Serra hosting it. I'd watch the shit out of that season, for sure.

• Paid Members

I'd be on board with the TUF idea. But I'd rather see Benny's idea of having Punk go through the show like Kimbo did. I definitely think that'd be better than having him coach and having the winner fight him. For one, who can he coach? Who's going to listen to him? I don't even think he'd think he'd be a worthy coach. And two, having the prize be a fight with Punk seems a bit shit now we've all just seen him get his arse kicked. I can see Punk's second fight not doing nearly as well as this one has probably done. The curiosity factor won't really be there next time and I think the novelty of 'Punk in the UFC' has probably wore off already.

For what it's worth, the boss man is saying Punk's next fight "probably shouldn't be in the UFC"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=-p3AFt3DPVM

But as we know, Dana changes his opinion more often than his shirts so I'm sure when the dust settles he'll be persuaded to give Punk one more go. Especially if the PPV numbers are good. Like Daddy Supes said, Dana won't want Bellator getting him until they've squeezed every last drop of drawing power out of him themselves.

• Paid Members

Up and down night really. Looks like Faber is finally done as a top flight fighter, not sure putting him in with Dillashaw would be a particularly good idea at this point, maybe Penn as a throwback fight? Werdum hitting the flying kick on Brownes face, and then kicking his coach for good measure was entertaining, any word on what caused it? Punk fight was farcical, worthwhile for the money he'll make though I guess, but the main was exciting, and Stipe looked strong in front of his home crowd.

• Paid Members

I've been saying this since it was first announced that Punk had signed for the UFC, but in what world is he allowed to physically fight another man? How did it get this far? Punk's as broken down as Ken Shamrock is. Its arguable if Punk could pass the tests to compete in WWE these days, let alone the UFC. It just looked a bad situation know the amount of damage he's taken to his head in wrestling, and then seeing him getting hammered right in the head. I think most of us where conned into the buildup and the story of it, but in reality when it was first announced in 2014 that he'd be fighting, this fight was exactly how all of us imagined it would go. He really needs to have a think about whether this is the best thing for him to do. I'm all about chasing your dreams and stuff, but this was pretty fucking brutal to watch.

They should have put him in with a striker, we all knew as soon as the cage closed Gall would take him down and submit him, he's done it in his last 2 fights after all(both coming by rear naked choke in the 1st round)

Put Gall in with Northcutt

Put Punk in with a welterweight Kimbo, I'm sure there's probably one flying around somewhere.

I only watched the show for the Punk Fight, i was disappointed in his showing, i was sure he would lose but i hoped he would put up more of a fight than that. 

I am a huge fan of Punk, so hopefully the show does a monster buy rate so he can be kept around and he can fight again, just maybe not on a main card for a while until he notches a few more 

I really enjoyed his after fight promo, and i must say, hearing Cult Of Personality and seeing punk walk out to it for the first time in years made me mark out 

My only worry is now that Punk has done it and appeared on a card and lost so badly, the appeal of another fight to casual viewers who may have ordered/watched it only for punk (similar to me i guess) may not be high 

When can we expect to know the buy rate? and it is possible to view how much each fighter makes from the show?

When you're approaching 40, have zero MMA skills and are only employed because you used to be a star in a different form of entertainment, there's no point shelling out all that money so he can fight on under cards or fight pass events. It has to be PPV or big Fox shows. This is it for him though. There's no way they'll let him fight again. It's completely farcical that the athletic commission waived all its usual rules for him this time, to do it again after seeing this performance would be almost criminal.

Ian - Your mention of Punk not likely passing a WWE physical let alone a UFC one for an 'actual fight' is hilarious based on last nights events. Refs and medics last night was there even point in them being there? We had a timeout called half way through a fight. Rivera was allowed to continue although he couldn't see out of one of his eyes...

I'm happy for Punk. Would he have liked to have won? Absolutely. But he set out to do more than that, and I'm not even sure it was top of the list. He earned the respect of many and delivered a great message in a powerful way last night. Good on him.

Bet Larrys gutted.

Poor wee guy hasn't said a word since the fight.

Archived