UFC 202: Diaz vs McGregor 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's easier said than done asking Mcgregor to utilise leg kicks as he's rarely used them in his career. The style he utilises just isn't of someone who kicks legs. In that first fight he tried using Jon Jones' oblique kick but he just wasn't executing it correctly.

He tends to use kicks and wheel kicks to the body and head. 

I'm not even convinced that he has to use more leg kicks to be successful though. If Mcgregor just becomes more efficient with his striking, looking to counter Nate instead of continously over extending, then I think we will see Mcgregor take the win.

The one thing that will be interesting, and David mentioned this earlier in the thread, is how will Mcgregor deal with an even bigger Diaz? Mcgregor is expecting this though, and said Nate will be cutting weight to make 170llbs.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed at how many people are acting like McGregor can't win this fight. All they seem to remember is the finish. I get why people would pick Diaz to win again. Absolutely. But it feels like a lot of people are seeing it as already in the bag for Nate and that McGregor needs a miracle to win. I don't get it. 

I'm one of those people because, quite simply, the style of the fight doesn't suit McGregor at all.

He's fighting a bigger man, and not only that, but he's fighting someone who's durable as fuck and who thrives on the stand up game, which is Conor's only game really. If McGregor had a good wrestling base then I'd be thinking differently, but he hasn't. He actually has less than a decent wrestling base. He has fuck all by way of ground game from what I've heard and seen.

Sure, Conor "dominated" the first round of the first fight, but when you're much smaller and you're fully loading up on punches and kicks that are having no real effect you're going to come undone eventually, which is what happened.

Last time he fought a Nate Diaz who wasn't fight fit, and who had little time to prepare. This time he's facing a Diaz who looks as though he's training harder than he ever has, which is scary.

I'd place my entire life savings on McGregor being choked out by the end of the third frame at the latest.

• Paid Members

i see Dave's point, but i just think McGregor can utilise movement and pick his shots over 5 rounds. Diaz can definitely clip him again but the Diaz style is only really effective against guys who stand and trade. I just dont see McGregor standing still long enough for Diaz to get his shots off.

• Paid Members

i see Dave's point, but i just think McGregor can utilise movement and pick his shots over 5 rounds. Diaz can definitely clip him again but the Diaz style is only really effective against guys who stand and trade. I just dont see McGregor standing still long enough for Diaz to get his shots off.

And the talk is about Diaz being much heavier and having a much harder weight cut. So perhaps cardio in the later rounds could be a factor.

I still fancy Diaz to win, mind ...

I just think his size and chin means he can deal with Connors biggest weapon (offense and movement on the feet). Diaz has Mcgregor beat everywhere else: clinch, grappling etc.

• Paid Members

I'm amazed at how many people are acting like McGregor can't win this fight. All they seem to remember is the finish. I get why people would pick Diaz to win again. Absolutely. But it feels like a lot of people are seeing it as already in the bag for Nate and that McGregor needs a miracle to win. I don't get it. 

I'm one of those people because, quite simply, the style of the fight doesn't suit McGregor at all.

He's fighting a bigger man, and not only that, but he's fighting someone who's durable as fuck and who thrives on the stand up game, which is Conor's only game really. If McGregor had a good wrestling base then I'd be thinking differently, but he hasn't. He actually has less than a decent wrestling base. He has fuck all by way of ground game from what I've heard and seen.

Sure, Conor "dominated" the first round of the first fight, but when you're much smaller and you're fully loading up on punches and kicks that are having no real effect you're going to come undone eventually, which is what happened.

Last time he fought a Nate Diaz who wasn't fight fit, and who had little time to prepare. This time he's facing a Diaz who looks as though he's training harder than he ever has, which is scary.

I'd place my entire life savings on McGregor being choked out by the end of the third frame at the latest.

Go on then.

• Paid Members

The way everyone is so certain of Nate winning again, I'd love nothing more than Conor blitzing him.

Yep, agreed. Joe Rogan in particular for me has been one of the worst dismissing Mcgregor. Something tells me if Conor pulls out the win then all we will be hearing is Mike Goldberg.

It's this actually that's hyping me for this fight, the potential of Mcgregor being able to prove his doubters wrong. 

I can't wait.

• Paid Members

The way everyone is so certain of Nate winning again, I'd love nothing more than Conor blitzing him.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, that's what I'd love to see too.

Anyone know if there's something up with John Kavanagh? I've just watched a couple of embeddeds and a couple of the Mac Life videos and he seems mysteriously absent in all of them. Maybe it's just coincidence but it feels like he hasn't been part of this camp.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, that's what I'd love to see too.

Anyone know if there's something up with John Kavanagh? I've just watched a couple of embeddeds and a couple of the Mac Life videos and he seems mysteriously absent in all of them. Maybe it's just coincidence but it feels like he hasn't been part of this camp.

He's been massively involved in this camp, more than ever in fact. 

He's had to pop back to Ireland for a few days to sort out some business with the gym, then he's back probably today if I remember correctly. 

I recommend watching the MMA Hour this week as it's got both Kavanagh and Mcgregor on it. 

Archived