Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

Am I too late to participate in last nights quiz? Was the answer parsnip?
I love a pub quiz, used toĀ be plenty of pubs in our area that would do one on a Sunday night, pack the place and put some free snap on. Seems to have died out now though, no idea why. I'veĀ had a hankering for doing a pub quiz for ages now.Ā 

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Moderators

I absolutely fucking hate pub quizzes. Organized Fun in pubs is death to me. The fact you can't go for a piss when you want, fag when you want, pint when you want and have to give your undivided attention to who is usually a smug twat asking the questions is awful.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I semi-agree, although you're a miserable get. I don't like it when the pub only has one room for this sort of thing, and the whole place gets taken over with the quiz. Leads to friction between the quizzers and non-quizzers. Our old local had a public bar, a lounge, a function room, and the skittle alley, so the quiz was always in the function room, with a big plate of hot sausages, a platter of assorted sandwiches, and a big bowl of butcher-sourced pork scratchings that I used to bag up for myself at the end of the night. Cracking quiz.

• Paid Members

The whole point of a pub is good conversation, booze and occasionally sport. The main reason I absolutely despise clubs is that you can't actually talk to any fucker.Ā 

Ā 

I need a local. I haven't really found one since moving a couple of months back.Ā 

Edited by Gus Mears

Proper quizzes are ace, but they tend to be part of some entertainment deal these days, where a failed DJ is to be a comedian instead of asking questions. If it fails the Billy G test, and is more Toksvig, then I don't want to know.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Thankfully, I've not been to many of those quizzes ā€” used to supplement my food and drink at uni with pub quiz winnings, and some of those quizzes were run by proper terrible student types, but in general, you need the landlord, awkwardly reading off of a sheet the brewery sent to him. Like the one where there was a misprint in the bonus rollover jackpot question, and he insisted on "Jacksdale" being the capital of Mississippi.

I've hosted a few in a pub full of Butches where there's just the one room in the pub and the participants are amongst the regular drinkers which is not enjoyable in the slightest. On the other hand, I sometimes host one downstairs at The King's Head in Crouch End which usually gets about 10-15 teams who are all there purely for the quiz, and that one is excellent.

• Members

My brother is currently in a quiz team of people around 30 years old who go to a student pub and win the quiz every week. They're all really proud of this and proudly boast about getting answers overturned and showing up the host like a load of David Brents. I'm clinging to the hope that it's his girlfriend dragging him there every week because it sounds really obnoxious.

My brother is currently in a quiz team of people around 30 years old who go to a student pub and win the quiz every week. They're all really proud of this and proudly boast about getting answers overturned and showing up the host like a load of David Brents. I'm clinging to the hope that it's his girlfriend dragging him there every week because it sounds really obnoxious.

Ā 

Sounds like they're bunch of smart-arse bullies to me. Ā Don't tell Bowler ... he'll PM 'em all.