Ryback shoots!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Always liked Rybacks oddball charisma/sense of humour. I think it's mainly down to him sounding like a bloke with an actual quirkiness/likablity and not some prick on a wrestling show using wrestling humour. That promo where he and Axel dissolved the Rybaxel team back when was ace.

Also Punk is a noted dickhead isn't he. He might have had a lot to do with Ryback getting the kibosh back when. He really should have won that HIAC match personally.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen an issue with Punk beating Ryback in the Cell, it's the way it happened that always bugged me. Hell In A Cell is the perfect environment to protect him in defeat, especially considering The Shield were knocking about and loosely aligned with Punk. Pin the guy, but park a fucking truck on him to do it. Have Punk duck every rematch with the Sheild setting up roadblocks.

We've seen that WWE can protect someone in defeat, but instead they chose one single low blow from Maddox to keep Ryback down. It was the ease of the defeat as much as anything

He was salvageable for a long time after such the pathetic loss too. Mainly because people actually wanted to like him. They intentionally cut his legs out for years way more than any other wrestler. Ryback has every right to be pissed off

I won't miss him if he goes. Neither will most the audience I'd imagine. Outside of a few people on this forum who have decided he's great despit him delivering sweet FA in his career.

Seriously, he comes out and other than the "Feed me more" chants when he does the shoulder thing or chanting "Goldberg" it's been crickets in the way of crowd reactions for the majority of his career.

• Moderators

Seriously, he comes out and other than the "Feed me more" chants when he does the shoulder thing or chanting "Goldberg" it's been crickets in the way of crowd reactions for the majority of his career.

And why's that? Did you hear the reactions he got before they fucked him?

• Paid Members

Just another "miss" from WWE they should have put the belt on him in the cage with punk. This was back when they seemed set on not making new stars, if he had just come up from NXT now? who knows.

That said his "shoot" was all about being paid more so meh. If it had been CM punk saying that back in his early WWE run everyone would be jumping all over him.

The problem with the cell match with Punk wasn't just the result but the content as well. Punk gave him so little. And the story seemed to be about how stupid Ryback was. That whole thing will always be shite. And considering how outspoken Punk is, and how much leverage he's had over the years, it's obvious that Punk was fine cutting Ryback's legs off and killing a star before he had the chance to run.

That said I'm not sure Ryback as the big blue eyes works with the current audience.

It's an odd one. You would think Ryback is everything Vince loves in a wrestler but they've never given him that true push and backing to be a top guy.

I've always rated/liked him during his Ryback run.

He also seems a really likeable guy perhaps even a little too nice for the wrestling business. In interviews he comes across very well, full of passion for the business, fun, down to earth and he really seems to put the work in and do everything he can to be the best he can be.

Good on him for making a stand and throwing in his 2 cents on how the business of pro wrestling could more forward for the better. I also like his honesty regarding his own frustrations with the business and his current situation, more should follow his lead.

I wish him all the best.

Yeah I reckon blaming Punk is a bit silly.  WWE clearly never had any intention of Ryback winning that match and booked him in it out of desperation because Cena was crocked.  He shouldn't have been anywhere near that match really.

I still maintain that he should've been built up to beat Big Show at Wrestlemania 29 for the World Title but instead they went with that ridiculous Del Rio vs. Swagger match that nobody gave a shit about, and had The Ryback lose to Mark Henry in one of the most nonsensical decisions I've ever seen.

• Paid Members

Maybe if he goes to Japan and gets over like gangbusters Vince will have a rethink about the whole situation. He could destroy a couple of juniors, have some stiff old barn burners with the likes of Ishii and Makabe, maybe some kind of power/technician thing going against Shelton and cross paths with some of the Bullet Club members or the lower level guys of Los Ingobernables before making his ascent. It's surely better than "Check this out, Pope: "The Big Guy" Ryan Reeves is here in Impact Wrestling". Plus there's every chance he'd be listed as "Lion Leaves" on New Japan World.

Kudos to him for fighting his corner, as Vince seems to like that, but as others have said on here in spite of his fitting what Vince usually looks like and being a hoss of a guy he just doesn't seem to have had the rub of the green, whether it was due to others playing politics around him, or just general lack of faith from creative remains to be seen, but it could end up being a missed opportunity for the E.

• Paid Members

One of the things that really pissed me off about Punk burying Ryback on that podcast was he said that they did a spot where Ryback was supposed to gorilla press him through a table and that Ryback missed the table and Punk landed on the concrete floor. Except that if you actually watch a clip of it, Punk lands on the fucking table! It's a ridiculous spot that Punk as banged up as he was at the time shouldn't have even taken. 

If you look at the booking of Ryback month by month from the Punk match to the Cena match it's actually fucking ridiculous:

October - Ryback is screwed over in the Hell In A Cell

November - Ryback is attacked and laid out by The Shield in the title match

December - Ryback loses TLC six man but looks strong in defeat by being so devastating and badass

January - Ryback enters as number 30 in the Rumble, doesn't eliminate anyone. Gets thrown out by Cena. Rumbles are essentially made for big dudes to throw out loads of people and look strong. Ryback eliminated NO ONE!

February - Six man against The Shield. Ryback takes the fall for the team. Even though Sheamus is on the team and currently doing absolutely fuck all and no one cares about him. Why not have Sheamus take the pin?!

Wrestlemania - Good little program with Henry leading in. Ryback loses by dropping Mark Henry on his own head! 

April - title match with Cena! Despite losing at Wrestlemania (sounds familiar).

The guy comes out on the losing end of every PPV the previous six months and then gets thrown into the main event with a random heel turn just to feed him to Cena. Just utterly shocking on every level. 

And for the fans who think Ryback isn't good in the ring, the man is good but he needs to be with the right opponent who works to his strengths. When he tries to keep up with the fast paced indy influenced style of all the short order cooks on the roster he just can't get over. But when he wrestlers other big men in big man style matches they tend to be quite good. He's had really good matches with Sheamus, Rusev, Luke Harper, Cesaro and Kevin Owens. And his match with Kalisto on the Payback preshow was probably the best match of the show after Reigns/Styles.

• Paid Members

He could destroy a couple of juniors, have some stiff old barn burners with the likes of Ishii and Makabe

That's not really in keeping with New Japan's booking style. Juniors rarely mix with heavys except in tags and even then then look spirited before getting pinned. Nobody really gets destroyed.

Ryback teaming with Nakanishi as "Muscle Orchestra 2" would be hilarious.

• Paid Members

I remember people going absolutely ape shit for his squashes during the run to that Punk match. People believed, but it's this business, and he was a bad choice for a quick fix, not the guy who the decision pushers wanted.

Yeah I reckon blaming Punk is a bit silly.  WWE clearly never had any intention of Ryback winning that match and booked him in it out of desperation because Cena was crocked.  He shouldn't have been anywhere near that match really.

I still maintain that he should've been built up to beat Big Show at Wrestlemania 29 for the World Title but instead they went with that ridiculous Del Rio vs. Swagger match that nobody gave a shit about, and had The Ryback lose to Mark Henry in one of the most nonsensical decisions I've ever seen.

The title should have been thrown in with the ongoing Team Hell No feud. Said it at the time. Punk in a Triple threat with Bryan and Kane in Hell in a Cell. Punk wins as Bryan and Kane don't get along. 

But for no good reason for anybody, Ryback was thrown in there.

I accept that he's had bad booking. But so have a bunch of others. Doesn't stop him being the drizzling shits in my opinion. 

Archived