Ryback shoots!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I can't really comment too much as I don't see enough of the product these days, but I very much doubt it's down to the smarks - Ryback is exactly the sort of guy they hate. The smarks were the ones doing the "Goldberg" chants right from when he debuted, while everyone else was cheering. And there's no way the cheers he was getting against Punk were from smarks. There's only so much smarks can be blamed for; in this case, I think this is all WWE's decision.

As to knowing what they know, this is true. I can accept that more as an argument. But knowing is only half the battle, and whatever it is they know, their actions in light of it are currently not helping their product.

In the final analysis, here's what is apparent to people watching WWE TV: Ryback was over. He didn't do well. Why not?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I can't really comment too much as I don't see enough of the product these days, but I very much doubt it's down to the smarks - Ryback is exactly the sort of guy they hate. The smarks were the ones doing the "Goldberg" chants right from when he debuted, while everyone else was cheering. And there's no way the cheers he was getting against Punk were from smarks. There's only so much smarks can be blamed for; in this case, I think this is all WWE's decision.

I didn't mention Ryback. I was just responding to what I thought was a general point you were making.

If it's specific to Ryback, I think he was clearly a victim of a (rare) long term booking plan. Then once he'd lost, they lost the will to protect him and moved on to a new pet project. Unfortunately we've seen down the last few years that WWE can only have one thing on the go. That gets about 90% of their attention. Everything else is fighting for the 10%.

• Paid Members

Yeah - should've clarified, I was trying to comment on Ryback's situation as it pertains to the general operating policy. It's correct they shouldn't bend to the smarks, but then guys like Ryback lose out because they conflate general crowd reactions with smark ones, and choose to ignore them.

In the final analysis, here's what is apparent to people watching WWE TV: Ryback was over. He didn't do well. Why not?

Because at the time, The Rock had had two matches back. The one against Miz and R-Truth drew a disappointing number. The one against John Cena drew a great number. The company felt CM Punk as a draw was closer to Truth and Miz than to Cena -- so they needed the long title reign to add some spice to Punk as an opponent for Rock in three months. But they had Hell in a Cell coming up in a few weeks. Cena was injured, Ryback had coincidentally had a confrontation with Punk a week or two before and got a lot of buzz, and so the decision was made to hotshot the match.

They didn't put enough stock in Punk to be able to lose the title and still have any worth across the ring from Big Money Dwayne, so Ryback got fucked. And once the new Goldberg lost the first proper match he was booked in, he was fucked. As such, he instantly became expendable enough to be the fall guy to make The Shield look strong. They decided to milk the last out of him by feeding him to Mark Henry when they had big plans for Henry (ultimately the Henry title shot at Cena at Money in the Bank 2013 drew bigger than the PIPEBOMB~ build did two years earlier so that kinda worked).

He was a long time dead as a top babyface, and they did him no favours as a heel either. He had a fun little stint as a bully sandwiched between spells playing fall guy for Cena and Punk, then did lots of nothing with Axel.

He never recovered from the potential big star he was looking like before Hell in a Cell 2012. The times he flirted with elevation after that were far from sure bets. But he'd never have really been the top guy anyway because he's fucking mental. You could never send him on important interviews.

Great talent though, and if he is done, that match at pre-Payback was a superb send-off. He could be one of the ones who is good even before Japan, could see him being a megastar over there.

I've always thought he was shite and that promo where he went on about believing in the power of positive thinking solidified him as the ultimate nonce, but he's got a lot of good points about the pay structure, I reckon. Problem is, does he have any leverage? He's never recovered from being fucked after that Punk loss and at the minute he's a guy who's lost on a pre-show twice in a row that no fuckers paying to see so he hasn'y exactly got them over a barrel like. What're the chances he gets what he wants or anything changes here?

Maybe Japan's the best bet for him. Or Preston.

ultimate nonce! lol

• Paid Members

Great talent though, and if he is done, that match at pre-Payback was a superb send-off. He could be one of the ones who is good even before Japan, could see him being a megastar over there.

Agreed with that, especially with New Japan being closer in style to WWE than other Japanese promotions. He's definitely got something there.

Only thing I don't like about him is his finish, and that he injured Steamboat into total retirement - was rather enjoying his mini-run.

Only thing I don't like about him is his finish, and that he injured Steamboat into total retirement - was rather enjoying his mini-run.

Right, I've heard quite a few people talk about this, and unless I'm mistaken I don't think it's even remotely true.  I know he hurt him, but wasn't Steamboat's mini-run over a year before??

• Paid Members

Well, it was reported that Ryback in his previous incarnation as Skip Sheffield injured him with a lariat in a Nexus attack. In fairness, it's probably difficult to pinpoint who exactly was responsible.

He's been under contract for about ten years, on TV for about 6 and has has tons and tons of chances. I bet the poor, underpaid, unappreciated lower card workers he's "sticking up for" would give there right nut for some of the chances Ryback has had...

Brought in as part of the invading Nexus group and thrown into the company's top storyline - check. 

Six plus months undefeated, squashing fools on a "Goldberg push", including 2 and 3 jobbers at a time - check.

Main event title matches with John Cena and CM Punk - check.

T-shirts, hats, hoodies, pendants, alarm-clocks, teddy-bears and all the other merch you can think of on Shopzone - check.

There have been plenty of occasions for him to prove his worth to the company, but when it comes down to it he's obviously not delivered. During that first big solo push, if his merch had taken off at that point, that would have been enough to keep the push going hard. It obviously didn't, nor did he move the ratings anywhere. Then throw in the fact that he's never cut a decent or memorable promo and his big matches are always underwhelming and you have your answers.

He is a perfectly serviceable midcard guy making up the numbers, but he's too thick and limited to be the "top guy". It has been said a lot on here by a number of people that the true talents can rise above shitty booking and become a genuine star. Ryback has none of that quality. He's "good" when he's being booked in an incredibly protected way with all his flaws hidden. WWE can't do that for anyone these days.

He's just not good enough for the very top. He'd be exposed in long matches and long promos with the proper top guys in a matter of weeks. He'd be getting booed and the "what" treatment like a motherfucker, while standing there like a deep-voiced toddler trying to remember his school play lines. If Roman gets it bad now - at least he has brilliant matches and doesn't look like a total moron!

He also doesn't understand how the entertainment industry works. At all.

• Paid Members

Everyone should be paid equally, regardless of their impact on ticket sales and other metrics? Ryback should team up with Jennifer Lawrence.

Feed Me (J)Law?

Everyone should be paid equally, regardless of their impact on ticket sales and other metrics? Ryback should team up with Jennifer Lawrence.

Feed Me (J)Law?

And before we go any further, My wife watches a lot of E! and they refer to her as Jlaw at times.

He's been under contract for about ten years, on TV for about 6 and has has tons and tons of chances. I bet the poor, underpaid, unappreciated lower card workers he's "sticking up for" would give there right nut for some of the chances Ryback has had...

Brought in as part of the invading Nexus group and thrown into the company's top storyline - check. 

Six plus months undefeated, squashing fools on a "Goldberg push", including 2 and 3 jobbers at a time - check.

Main event title matches with John Cena and CM Punk - check.

T-shirts, hats, hoodies, pendants, alarm-clocks, teddy-bears and all the other merch you can think of on Shopzone - check.

There have been plenty of occasions for him to prove his worth to the company, but when it comes down to it he's obviously not delivered. During that first big solo push, if his merch had taken off at that point, that would have been enough to keep the push going hard. It obviously didn't, nor did he move the ratings anywhere. Then throw in the fact that he's never cut a decent or memorable promo and his big matches are always underwhelming and you have your answers.

He is a perfectly serviceable midcard guy making up the numbers, but he's too thick and limited to be the "top guy". It has been said a lot on here by a number of people that the true talents can rise above shitty booking and become a genuine star. Ryback has none of that quality. He's "good" when he's being booked in an incredibly protected way with all his flaws hidden. WWE can't do that for anyone these days.

He's just not good enough for the very top. He'd be exposed in long matches and long promos with the proper top guys in a matter of weeks. He'd be getting booed and the "what" treatment like a motherfucker, while standing there like a deep-voiced toddler trying to remember his school play lines. If Roman gets it bad now - at least he has brilliant matches and doesn't look like a total moron!

He also doesn't understand how the entertainment industry works. At all.

Brilliant post, and sums up my feelings on him. Regardless of how much of a man of the hour he is around here.

Archived