McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

Both are mid-level 155lbs fighters, and not even top 15 170lbs fighters. At best.

It was going to be an interesting bout, but it was purely an exhibition fight, with next to fuck all ramifications for the 170lbs division. or even the 155lbs division.

Both are mid-level 155lbs fighters, and not even top 15 170lbs fighters. At best.

It was going to be an interesting bout, but it was purely an exhibition fight, with next to fuck all ramifications for the 170lbs division. or even the 155lbs division.

McGregor was still a world-class fighter though, hence why he's Featherweight Champion. Diaz is ranked at number 6 at Lightweight - hardly "mid level". 

You don't need to have any title ramifications for a fight to be enthralling. There's more in-depth debate between MMA experts about McGregor vs Diaz 2 than there is about Mighty Mouse's next title fight, or Cruz vs Edgar 3. Plus, it probably did have title ramifications for the 155lbs division. The winner would have likely been in line to face the Lightweight Champion. 

Edited by jimufctna24

McGregor was still a world-class fighter though, hence why he's Featherweight Champion. Diaz is ranked at number 6 at Lightweight - hardly "mid level". 

You don't need to have any title ramifications for a fight to be enthralling. There's more in-depth debate between MMA experts about McGregor vs Diaz 2 than there is about Mighty Mouse's next title fight, or Cruz vs Edgar 3. Plus, it probably did have title ramifications for the 155lbs division. The winner would have likely been in line to face the Lightweight Champion. 

Yeah, he's world class at 145lbs, but not at 155lbs or 170lbs. Neither of them are world class at those levels.

Diaz is getting a lot of publicity at the moment because he tapped McGregor, but before that? I don't recall one single person mentioning him in the title picture at 155lbs. Not one.

He'd looked decent against Johnson, but still had a lot to prove, especially as he's known for winning the fights against mid-tier opposition and then losing against the top guys. If we're honest we all know why either McGregor or Diaz would have been in line to fight the 155lbs champion had they won this fight at UFC 200, and it isn't because they had earned it on a competitive level or had proven themselves world class at that weight.

It would have been a money fight. Plain & simple.

And yeah, it would have been exciting, like I said. I don't disagree there.

• Paid Members

It's not what Jim said though David. He clearly said world class fighters. Mcgregor is a world class fighter, irrespective of what division he fights in.

You also can't say he's a mid level 155llb fighter either, since, the main problem with that comment is, he's never fought at 155llbs in the UFC. He could be better, he could be worse, but until he's fought there I will reserve judgement.

In relation to Diaz, outside of the RDA and Nurmagomedov, he stands a chance against anyone in the lightweight division. The fact he's beaten Cerrone, who was ranked as high as number 2 (or 1 if the champion doesn't count) to me suggests he's certainly to be held in higher esteem than just "mid level".

He may not be world class, but he has world class tools in his game. He's arguably the best boxer in the lightweight division, and his jujitsu is certainly world class.

If the fight were to go ahead, despite being at 170llbs, it certainly would have held ramifications in either the 155llb or 170llb division. Considering at 1 point the promotion were thinking about throwing Nate at Robbie Lawler after his win at 196, certainly suggests that they felt there were ramifications last time around. The same would have stood if the fight was scheduled again.   

Edited by lambyUK

It's not what Jim said though David. He clearly said world class fighters. Mcgregor is a world class fighter, irrespective of what division he fights in.

I wasn't actually arguing against what Jim said, more offering my own opinion on the matter. I think McGregor is world class in the 145lbs division, he's proven that over the past few years. And I said as much.

You also can't say he's a mid level 155llb fighter either, since, the main problem with that comment is, he's never fought at 155llbs in the UFC. He could be better, he could be worse, but until he's fought there I will reserve judgement.

Again, I assumed that me saying that would be taken as my own opinion on the matter, especially seeing as it's all entirely subjective.

In relation to Diaz, outside of the RDA and Nurmagomedov, he stands a chance against anyone in the lightweight division. The fact he's beaten Cerrone, who was ranked as high as number 2 (or 1 if the champion doesn't count) to me suggests he's certainly to held in higher esteem than just "mid level".

That can be said about a lot of fighters though, can't it? A lot of guys "stand a chance" against anyone. The thing for me is that Diaz has had those chances against the top guys and failed. Again, before he was brought in as a replacement for RDA no one was talking about him as a 155lbs title contender.

If the fight were to go ahead, despite being at 170llbs, it certainly would have held ramifications in either the 155llb or 170llb division. Considering at 1 point the promotion were thinking about throwing Nate at Robbie Lawler after his win at 196, certainly suggests that they felt there were ramifications last time around. The same would have stood if the fight was scheduled again.   

Yeah, i never said that the fight wouldn't have ramifications, I said that it would, but not based on the sporting accomplishments of either fighter, and more based on what works financially. Two wins over the 145lbs champion doesn't really equate to being a number 1 contender at 170lbs, does it?

• Paid Members

Fair points on the above. However, I take exception to the below.

That can be said about a lot of fighters though, can't it? A lot of guys "stand a chance" against anyone. The thing for me is that Diaz has had those chances against the top guys and failed. Again, before he was brought in as a replacement for RDA no one was talking about him as a 155lbs title contender.

Of course, but no one was talking about him as a title contender as he hadn't recently fought a title eliminator. However, you don't have to be talked about as being a title contender in order to be classed as being better as "mid level" as you put it. It's obvious he's above mid level based on his ranking and previously beating the no 1/2 in the lightweight division. 

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

Fair enough, how does top ten but not top five sound then?

Quite possibly that's a fair comment. Looking at the rankings right now he's at 6, with Cerrone above him. On current fights that ranking is probably warranted.

I still stand by the opinion that only RDA and Nurmagomedov are the only 2 fighters that Diaz couldn't beat, and i hold him at the same level of Pettis, Ferguson, Alvarez and Cerrone who are currently above him in the rankings. But to put it as you say, that's just my own opinion.  

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

I wonder what they'll do with Diaz at 200 now? Do they risk him getting mauled by RDA (again) or Khabib? Tony Ferguson would be a fun fight if he's fit. He might even be able to drag a good fight out of Eddie Alvarez. 

GSP?

• Paid Members

i guess that's the ideal scenario from the UFC's perspective, and i imagine that's a GSP would jump at to comeback for, i guess it's all down to schedules/terms and that stuff though.

Off topic but back to Bellator's London show, everyone here was questioning their decision to run the o2, but the actual show is running on the same weekend as the Martial Arts Seni, smart move, the weigh-in's etc, meet and greets will likely take place at the actual Seni with the show being just like an extension of the event.

12247194_10153095453241428_2239144137165

Edited by Egg Shen

So Dana confirmed Conor didn't want to do the press tour so he was pulled from 200.

He also went on to say it wasn't a money issue and that he doesn't think Conor will retire and that he needs to let him know 100% what he wants to do or he will make Aldo/Edgar for the vacant featherweight title.

Edited by TildeGuy~!