WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

I've been playing around with emulators for the last couple of days. I started on my phone but since I figured out how to connect my DS4 controller to my laptop, I've been focusing more on that.

I've started with a Mega Drive emulator called Fusion (which also supports the Master System, Game Gear and Mega CD so it's a great bit of software) and finally got my head around it all after a few teething problems. It works great and I'm enjoying playing all my old favourites.

This evening I decided to jump a little further into the deep end and try a PS2 emulator. I went for PCSX2. I've managed to load up a game, but it's running quite slowly and has a shadow across the game screen. It's possible there's a couple of settings I need to adjust, or it could be this is too big of a job for my laptop to handle. Is anyone familiar with this emulator that could offer me some assistance?

• Paid Members

13653116_1228084380570387_46118089493595

13923816_1228084267237065_21663586368028

13920200_1228084167237075_39389441629798

So I managed to get on No Mans Sky for an hour last night and first impressions are good.

The top picture is what I saw when the game started. A crashed ship by a big mountain. The second picture is when I turned around to look out across the planet. That's when I realised the planet was toxic (yay!) so I now have to wander around the planet collecting resources to keep my hazard suit maintained and working.

The first task is to repair your ship, so at the moment I am just exploring the planet looking for resources and avoiding the sentinels (who are little galactic police that don't want you raping the planets for all the good stuff).

I need to collect the mineral that is the blue icon on the third picture, however it was telling me it was ten minutes away so I didn't have time last night. Also in the third picture you can see a "monolith" in the background. I made my way there, interacted with it and the game told me I learnt a word in Kovak. I assume they are an alien race.

There are no tutorials anywhere so its all trial by fire at the moment.

Can't wait to jump back on it tonight!

• Paid Members

On a similar theme I've just set up RetroPie on  Raspberry Pi and am going to hopefully build something like this ( I say me, It'll be a 'joint effort between me and my dad, who is a joiner) 

luxury_arcade_lowrise_multigame_table_20

Wiring the controllers isnt a problem and except for the monitor the only big cost so far is getting the glass top cut. Ideally I wanted something with retractable joysticks so it just looks like a table when its not in use but the logistics are very annoying.

• Paid Members

Reddit is exploding with NMS anger because it seems it's not just a very, very, very small chance of meeting another player but actually impossible because there's no realtime netcode. One guy posted a picture of his NMS PS4 case that had a sticker pasted on the pack covering up the "multiplayer" icon and it's listed as a single player game on Steam.

Still, it looks great by all accounts and I am really looking to play a lot more SP games so I'm not that bothered.

On a similar theme I've just set up RetroPie on  Raspberry Pi and am going to hopefully build something like this ( I say me, It'll be a 'joint effort between me and my dad, who is a joiner) 

luxury_arcade_lowrise_multigame_table_20

Wiring the controllers isnt a problem and except for the monitor the only big cost so far is getting the glass top cut. Ideally I wanted something with retractable joysticks so it just looks like a table when its not in use but the logistics are very annoying.

I eagerly await pictures. I built my bartop earlier this year and although I loved the experience my DIY skills let me down a little meaning the finish isn't quite what it should be. Having a joiner helping with the project will improve that immensely!

That was ScratchDJ in the Retro thread back in around October, it was his that gave me the push to finally go ahead. I wanted to include modern arcade stuff like Street Fighter IV so went for a 23" widescreen monitor, because of that I had to custom design the actual body of the arcade which was made things trickier, had I gone for a smaller 19" 4:3 monitor I could have bought a kit from ebay and saved a lot of effort! For speakers I used a seperate amp and speakers, these ones specifically and they sound great.

Cheers, I'll give that a shot. Won't hold my breath though.

Would those specs be OK for PS1 emulation?

Yeah I was emulating PS1 games back in 2000 fine enough, get epsxe if you want things looking nice or pSX for simpler almost 1:1 emulation.

OK so I bought a Sega Saturn from eBay as I have a couple of weeks annual leave and figured it would be something different to crack on with, having some friends round on Saturday night. I have Daytona, Sega Rally, Nights (which I remember as being my favourite game) and VIrtua Fighter. I'm really looking forward to playing some of these old games but I'm worried we will be on COD within an hour of nostalgia, and that nostalgia wearing off fast. 

I didn't have a Saturn but there are a few more games you might consider:

Saturn Bomberman

Quake

Fighters Megamix

X-Men vs Street Fighter

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Virtua Cop

Sonic R (it's pants, but there's some novelty value in it)

Super Puzzle Fighter II

Tomb Raider

(No idea how easy or difficult these might be to get hold of.)

Get Saturn Bomberman (if it wasnt stupidly expensive), you'll all be on it till the next morning. It's actually a good time to have a Saturn, it's finally been cracked after all this time and they're releasing a card you simply slot in the back and lets you play any game you want off a SD card.