WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

A few Sonic-related things have been announced for the 25th anniversary, including this:

After countless false dawns, does anyone dare raise their hopes for this to be the hedgehog's return to 16-bit form?

A little more gameplay footage

Thomas Was Alone (tactical 2D platformer with amusing voiceover - if you liked Portal give this a try)

To the Moon (PC-only and more like an interactive novel than a game, but if that doesn't put you off then be sure to dive in spoiler-free)

Life Is Strange (choices-based game like those by Telltale, eg The Walking Dead - first episode is now free so you may as well see how you get on with it)

Edited by Uncle Zeb

It has enough new game mechanics and a pretty huge story to set it apart, but yeah it's a complete love letter to Sonic. They wanted it to feel like a spiritual sequel and have it as close to the originals as they could get, its pretty much the best platformer on the Wii U not called Mario.

Shovel Knight's another great modern 2D love letter to the 90's, one of the few worth playing.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
and beats the piss out of those Sonic 4 episodes.

Episode 1 was really cack, but I really liked Episode 2. Not sure why anyone would want a 16-bit new Sonic game nowadays though. A new sidescrolling Sonic platformer yes, but I'd want modern graphics. Like the New! Super Mario Bros series- truly wonderful games.

• Moderators

It has enough new game mechanics and a pretty huge story to set it apart, but yeah it's a complete love letter to Sonic. They wanted it to feel like a spiritual sequel and have it as close to the originals as they could get, its pretty much the best platformer on the Wii U not called Mario.

Shovel Knight's another great modern 2D love letter to the 90's, one of the few worth playing.

I mean, sure there's new mechanics, but it still looks like a copy more than a sequel. A lot of what I saw in that trailer was the exact same level maps and bosses as Sonic. That's what's weird about it to me. I get why you would want to make something like Sonic, but not something that is the same, because that seems kinda pointless.

Not sure why anyone would want a 16-bit new Sonic game nowadays though. A new sidescrolling Sonic platformer yes, but I'd want modern graphics. Like the New! Super Mario Bros series- truly wonderful games.

The Mega Drive-style graphics will get the attention of lapsed fans, and if the game itself then proves itself worthy of that attention, then perhaps they'll go with a different graphical style next time, having proven to everybody that they're capable of putting classic gameplay under that new lick of paint.

Revisiting this style for at least one game is a statement of intent, saying, "This isn't just another Sonic 4, please come back and see what lessons we've learnt about doing this properly."

Once they've rebuilt that trust, they won't need to advertise it as "remember when Sonic was good?" anymore.

• 2 weeks later...