WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

Your games will play a little better on the new Xbox, it's pretty much like upgrading a PC albeit in a very minor way it seems. Thank x86 architecture for that.

EDIT: Regarding No Man's Sky, I've been put off by a few videos I've watched making it look nothing more than a pretty but generic survival game. I think i'll test a mates GOG copy first and see how I get on after a few hours.

Edited by Merzbow

• Awards Moderator

Who's jumping on the No Man's Sky ship today?

I'm very, very intrigued - but worried it'll be an explore 'em up with no actual game in it. Shades of Elite without things to do, or Captain Blood if you prefer.

• Paid Members

I'll be logging on at midnight to see what its like.

I thought exactly the same as you until reading about it a bit more recently. They have already made some big changes in the day one update (including making the chance to meet other people slightly higher!) and will apparently be adding more and more as time goes by.

I'm hoping at some point there will be the option to meet up with friends. Flying around the galaxy looting giant space ships with your mates sounds like great fun.

I can't wait to start the game and see what my starting planet is like. I saw a video earlier of a guy starting out and was surrounded by cows with butterfly wings flying around!

EDIT - Also eventually you will be able to have space pets and build bases which sounds interesting

Edited by waters44

• Paid Members

I still can't get my head around it all to be honest, but as far as I am aware it is possible to bump into other players, but its so unlikely (almost impossible) due to the size of the game.

Im pretty sure that you could name a planet and then days, months, years down the line another player could stumble across your planet and see what you called it. That's what I can't wrap my head around - because if that does happen the planets are not procedurally generated are they? They are actually saved somewhere? Confused.

• Paid Members

I haven't read any reviews to be honest but I can only assume they are reviewing the gameplay and story elements which are not necessarily affected by the size of the game.

The developer has had to create and send virtual probes around the galaxy to check on any bugs because its too big for them to do it themselves. I just can't comprehend it all, its madness!

• Paid Members

Confuses me the people laying money down for this without knowing what it even is. Early reviews in progress make it sound like a massive empty sandbox with fuck all to do on it of any merit.

• Paid Members

Im expecting a 30 hour experience. At the moment I imagine I will work through the story slowly while I stumble around on different planets finding a few cool things here and there. I don't think its a world beater at the moment, but I think it has huge potential especially if they can somehow make multiplayer an option.

Worst case scenario is finding some weird dinosaurs and stuff on random planets, getting bored of that, attacking space ships, getting bored of that, then getting to the centre of the galaxy, finding whatever is there, being disappointed and then firing GTA up again.

Best case scenario is getting completely lost in it all and teaming up with mates to pirate our way around the galaxy and build up a massive base on our own planet

Worth £50 either way, I spent half that on a pizza last night

Edited by waters44

• Paid Members

Whoever was talking about meeting friends or randoms in NMS, the developer has made a point of coming out and saying that this is not a multiplayer game. It's very much meant to be enjoyed as a single player experience with the minor MP aspect that you might run into another player some day.

I'm in the waiting for it to drop for PC and looking at reviews boat. Actually, I'll not be buying it till mid-September when I'm back in the UK, if at all, as I don't fancy paying full price.