The most fascinating figure in wrestling history

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

There have been loads of really interesting people over the course of wrestling history. The people who led extraordinary lives before they got into the business, or during it, or after it. The people whose characters blended into their real personality until you can't tell where one ends and the other begins. The pioneers, or the people who reached the top, or even those who never quite got there, or the ones who did and then fell. People from the 50s, or the 80s, or the modern day, from America, Mexico, Japan, and Britain. The tragic, the inspiring, the horrific and the heroic… 

Who for you is the most fascinating figure to have been in wrestling? There's some big obvious names that come to mind. Bloody loads, in fact. 

For me, currently at least, I just can't see past Andre The Giant. Every time I see a photo of Andre I haven't seen before (and often when I have seen it before) I'm reminded of how remarkable he was. His size, of course, is a major factor of that, and all the stories that have come out of that - but then you've got his childhood in France and the whole Samuel Beckett thing, his WWF career, the films… and the stories. I'm always amazed by Andre stories, and there are so many of them. There still feels like there's such a mystique about him… so yeah, I think it's Andre for me. 

What about you?

• Paid Members

It'd have to be Vince McMahon. He's been at the centre of every major happening in wrestling for forty years. He's employed everyone and everyone has a story about him. About his methods, his eccentricities and his part in many major scandals.

Vince is particularly fascinating because he doesn't speak candidly that often. Everything is shrouded in mystery. The tales all have a ring of truth but not THE truth. His reputation is built on supposition.

That he might disappear one day without a memoir is incredibly sad. And yet if he published one, he's such a fucking carny that 90% of it would be bullshit anyway.

• Paid Members

It's either Vince, for all the reasons tiger_rick posted, or it's Hulk Hogan, about whom much has been discussed in recent years, such as in that "Hulk Done With WWE" thread and Sickstro Hollywoy's excellent "Smoke, Mirrors & Steven Seagal" book.

It's got to be Vince by some distance. I'd love the chance to spend a few hours in a bar chatting to Heyman, Flair, Hogan, Austin, Rock, or a countless number of others who have led more fascinating lives than 99% of the population. But none of them are even a patch on Vince. I reckon Vince is in the top 20 most fascinating people alive, in wrestling or otherwise.

I can't remember who said it (might've been Heyman) but there's a great quote about Vince, about Vince not agreeing with the real universe so he created his own.

There was also that promo Heyman did a couple of years back when he said a line about Vince's father, "your father once told me that diversity defines a man's character in his darkest hour." It stood out to me, and had me thinking about what it must've been like for Vince buying the business off his dad and making it what it became.

There was also that promo Heyman did a couple of years back when he said a line about Vince's father, "your father once told me that diversity defines a man's character in his darkest hour."

That explains why he's always been trying to launch bodybuilding, football and film sidelines, I suppose.

There was also that promo Heyman did a couple of years back when he said a line about Vince's father, "your father once told me that diversity defines a man's character in his darkest hour."

That explains why he's always been trying to launch bodybuilding, football and film sidelines, I suppose.

:laugh:  Well spotted, I meant adversity. I think. 

Clearly Vince. He is the one that makes the decisions and very very rarely opens up about them in a shoot setting. Like has been said above I would love a good Q and A or a tell all about all the greatest incidents and why he made the decisions he did. 

Would love the real story on SummerSlam 93, was it mean't to be Hogan vs Hart?

• Paid Members

Vince is the answer. His thought process behind, justification for, opinion of - hundreds of different wrestlers, thousands of different matches, angles, hirings & firings, pushes, shows, and so on so forth. The stories untold and questions unanswered.... there could theoretically be a million things I'd love to know about Vince, and that's just the wrestling, never mind his personal idiosyncrasies.

I'll never get tired of people trying to explain how crazy Vince is. And that's to us. Grown wrestling fans. We should be conditioned to it.

In these last few crazy years of his charge I bet a lot of people inside the WWE will be glad to be shot of him. Against my better judgement as an active viewer of Raw I hope he has a few more Katie Vicks up his sleeve.

He deserves to be more or less vomited into the sunset by some universal force of taste and decency. 

Archived