Hayabusa Dies

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

The pro wrestling world has suffered a great loss, as Eiji Ezaki, known to wrestling fans as Hayabusa has died at 47 years old.

Reports emerged early Friday of the Japanese legend's passing due to a subarachnoid hemorrhage. Tokyo Sports said that Ezaki was found dead on Thursday afternoon.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0304/608247/japanese-wrestling-legend-hayabusa-dies-at-age-47/

I'm sure many here remember the cold shock of when he had his accident. Brought a tear to the eye when he stood from his wheelchair a couple of years back.

• Paid Members

Terrible news,RIP. Absolutely loved his work and was distraught when he had his accident. Loved his FMW work, had some belters against Tanaka, Mike Awesome and the Team No Respect lot.

• Paid Members

Hayabusa encapsulated a whole era where Japanese wrestling pushed things forward in so many directions. Lucharesu, hardcore... And then a complete gimmick change when he'd tired of not showing his face... Man, what a bummer.

• Paid Members

I know he didn't invent the move, but Hayabusa was the first man that I ever saw do a shooting star press. Blew the mid-90s teenage Benny's mind - I remember repeatedly rewinding the tape to try and understand what I'd just seen.

The bombs match with Onita is a guilty pleasure of mine too for the spectacle.

Shame - it really sounded like he was doing 'well' in recent years.

Terrible news! Like I imagine a fair few people on here, the first Japanese wrestling I ever saw was the 1994 Super J Cup and his match with Liger was one of the highlights. Fantastic look too. It was brilliant to see him out of the wheelchair last year. Really sad.

• Paid Members

I think I only ever saw him in ECW but he certainly blew my little mind. Really thought he would be up and about eventually after standing from his chair like that. The Heatwave 98 tag match was onevof my absolute favourites for years back when I first got into ECW. Would show that to anyone that would watch. Will have a few beers and watch it tonight me thinks.

R.I.P.

Terrible news. One of my absolute favourites. Saw him in some photos in PWI years before seeing any footage and the mask and costume and moves that looked so cool in the photos all lived up to the expectation. As Wideload said above, that theme music - may have been repetitive after four minutes, but an incredible atmospheric opening:

He didn't invent the Shooting Star Press as Liger did that in '87 I think. He did invent the Phoenix Splash, the moonsault into 450 splash off the top.

So many great memories of watching FMW with him.

RIP.

Archived