Hayabusa Dies

Onyx2

• Paid Members

sad news :(

Hayabusa was one of the main gateway guys (along with The Great Sasuke) who got me into Japanese wrestling. I always leaned toward the more hardcore and high-flying styles of wrestling at that time and Hayabusa fit that bill perfectly for me as he was involved with FMW. A tragic tale given his injury and how how is career ended.

RIP.

What an interesting time Hayabusa wrrestled in. I first saw him in ECW, and then later I got the tape "Super J Cup" which was amazing. The battles he had with Tanaka, Onita, Awesome in FMW, simply amazing.

I was very lucky to have a lunch Q&A with him on my first trip to Japan in 2008. I really didnt know what to expect, and it turned out Hayabusa had great english, and was a very nice to talk to. I could sense from that meeting that Hayabusa still had a huge passion for Pro Wrestling and wanted to get back in the ring. He didnt get a chance to wrestle again, but did get to walk into the ring again, which seems a big deal to him.

The Phoenix never dies

RIP

Hayabusa

• Paid Members

Absolutely tragic. I remember feeling great when I saw footage of him walking a little. He'd never wrestle but he'd eventually have a regular life again, or so I thought. This is a sad one.

I'm another who first saw him in the Heatwave 98 tag match. Spotty as fuck, but absolutely spectacular. He's probably the first Japanese wrestler I cared enough to keep an eye on through magazines and sites. RIP. 

There was a time where I only ever saw Japanese wrestlers in pictures, mags and when they turned up on RAW or Nitro as I had no idea about tape traders for years but I still had this fascination with Hayabusa regardless. It was that mask and the scars that made him look like the coolest fucker, Han Zo Man even became one of my most used guys on NWO Revenge as I knew it was him under another name.

When I eventually did see him wrestle on FMW tapes he was just as awesome as I'd imagined, unlike Mr Pogo..

I'm gonna stick on the n64 for old times sake.

RIP

Meltzer had a note from Hayabusa in the 15/02/16 Observer, which is in direct contrast to Meltzer's usual pro spot-wrestling stance these days - e.g. PWG is great, Dragon Lee/Kamatachi is great, Ospreay - anything with non stop spots is must see. And considering almost all NXT and current WWE wrestlers are ex ROH or this generation it's pretty grim:

"Pro wrestlers train their bodies and hone their skills at bumping, so they can take any move their opponent uses.

Very rarely do we get injured by a move on its own.

But the sad truth is that, these days, there are many moves being used which just don’t make sense logically; moves which require too much risk.

There are also many matches which focus more on use of thrilling moves, instead of putting over the impact of each and every move. I think this trend is very strong with wrestlers from overseas, those who grew up watching tapes of recent Japanese matches.

Wrestling isn’t all about moves. It’s a form of entertainment where the characters portrayed by the wrestlers, and the pacing between the moves, are to be enjoyed.

It’s not about striking fear into the hearts of fans. It’s not about using dangerous moves and risky offense that leaves them wondering, “Couldn’t they get hurt doing that?”

While it may be true that these dangerous moves and risky offense are sure to pop a crowd, it’s a slippery slope.

Going too far down that path could cause another unfortunate tragedy to occur in the ring.

As one of the people who started this trend of dangerous moves and risky offense, I sincerely hope that wrestlers gain the courage and skills to abstain from relying on them."

Archived