If you could change one match result...

DraxSpago

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Luger over Yoko. I was never massively invested in Luger, but having him fall short of winning the belt pretty much cemented him to me as being not quite as big-time as Hogan or Savage.

Luger over Yoko. I was never massively invested in Luger, but having him fall short of winning the belt pretty much cemented him to me as being not quite as big-time as Hogan or Savage.

Came here to post that. A lot of results could be changed in hindsight, but hindsight isn't even required here.

Regardless of what happened since, then and there Lex should have won. If you watch back, Lex was very over -not quite as over as Bret but Bret was established by that point. Lex had turned and was steamrolling. His WWF career took a knock and he struggled from there. Wrestlemania X and beyond was when his value had gone but it all started at Summerslam.

• Paid Members

If only for the fact that it would have cemented the Royal Rumble as "anything can happen" then I'd go with Santino winning it that one time.

I'd immediately have had him lose his 'Mania shot the next night, but it would have had people talking probably to this day.

• Paid Members

On a similar one, I also remember when Santino hit Daniel Bryan with the cobra at the Elimination Chamber one year, and I geniunely thought he was going to win the belt. The building was rocking that night.

Definitely, and this was just after he came close to winning the Rumble as well wasn't it? It was made more incredible by the fact that Santino had been long dead in the water at this point. The crowd wanted him to win badly.

When I saw this thread the first thing I thought was Lex over Yoko SS93 but as already mentioned I will go with...

Vader over Shawn Summerslam 96 - Vader was a disappointment in WWE but had he won here and won strongly he could of became the mega monster heel he was in WCW.

Brock over John Cena in 2012 at Extreme Rules.

Brock was a fucking star when he came back in 2012 after doing big business in UFC. His match with Cena did great business at Extreme Rules. The match itself was turning into a real classic as it was brutal and bloody. Then Cena out of no where punches Brock with his chain wrapped fist and AA for the win. This hurt Lesnar massively and he didn't really recover until mid 2014.

• Paid Members

The streak ending:

1. Instantly took big money 'Mania matches for the streak off the table. Undertaker vs Cena or Rock would have been absolutely massive.

2. Got nothing of that magnitude in return. Brock vs Rock would be big, but the streak ending would have zero to do with why.

3. Was a shitty way to end an amazing 20+ year angle. Yeah, it was a shocking moment (it couldn't not be), but what a way to end it. I know I wasn't the only person whose reaction to it was "hahaha, they've fucked the finish up! ....Wait". It's sad to go back and watch the sheer drama in the near-falls of the Undertaker/HHH matches, looking at the crowd reaction to the BurialDriver and the SCM/Pedigree pins, and then comparing them to the ones reacting to the third F5, the move that actually ends the streak. Barely a single person buys it as the finish. 20+ years out with a depressing whimper.

4. It led to fuck all.

I can't think of another result that pisses me off half as much. It'll be even worse come March when they're relying on 'Taker to sell the show and I start daydreaming about what could have been.

I reckon the streak ending would have been fine if Daniel Bryan hadn't returned from injury. Fans wouldn't have turned on Reigns and it would have been another opportunity to make him a huge star beating Lesnar.

In fact, add Reigns not beating Lesnar to the list for me. His multiple failures are the reason he is where he is. Stick to a plan and if the fans don't like it, turn him heel.

Brock was a fucking star when he came back in 2012 after doing big business in UFC. His match with Cena did great business at Extreme Rules. The match itself was turning into a real classic as it was brutal and bloody. Then Cena out of no where punches Brock with his chain wrapped fist and AA for the win. This hurt Lesnar massively and he didn't really recover until mid 2014.

It didn't make any fucking sense either in the grand scheme of things.  Brock was clearly always set to be a dominant monster upon his return, and they were starting to do a "Cena has had a shit year" thing at the time (which also didn't make any sense because he didn't have a shit year by any stretch of the imagination).  Who on earth decided this was a good idea?

• Paid Members

I don't agree with this one bit. Cena made Lesnar look like a fucking killer that night. Cena himself looked like he'd barely survived.

• Paid Members

I'm more interested to know why Triple H had to get his win back on Lesnar at WrestleMania that year? It was a shockingly dull match and then HHH beat him. What did that do for anyone?

And why did HHH beat CM Punk? No that I'm bothered, but you'd think the only reason HHH and Punk would wrestle was for Punk to go over? Especially coming off the big promo he did.

Archived