If you could change one match result...

DraxSpago

Summerslam 2006, Randy Orton vs Hulk Hogan.

Orton's coming to the end of his Legend Killer phase, going up against probably the biggest legend ever. A clean win for Orton would have made him on the spot - instead, we get a standard Hogan-by-numbers match, and Hogan goes over a guy WWE clearly had massive hopes for.

I'd also add the Kofi Kingston vs Orton series at the end of 2009. Kofi got a massive reaction by boom-dropping Orton through the table at MSG, his team win at Survivor Series, then loses quietly against Orton on Raw a couple of times, and becomes a career midcarder, until the awesomeness of New Day makes everyone realise what he could be. He could have been a huge babyface star following Jeff Hardy's exit, but alas, it wasn't to be.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'd also add the Kofi Kingston vs Orton series at the end of 2009. Kofi got a massive reaction by boom-dropping Orton through the table at MSG, his team win at Survivor Series, then loses quietly against Orton on Raw a couple of times, and becomes a career midcarder, until the awesomeness of New Day makes everyone realise what he could be. He could have been a huge babyface star following Jeff Hardy's exit, but alas, it wasn't to be.

The trick to that one was that they booked it the wrong way round. What they should have done is at Survivors, Kingston pins Punk (as he did) but exhausted, beating Orton is one step too far and he goes down in valiant defeat. Makes us ask the question "Could Kingston beat Orton?" and furthermore WANT to see him beat Orton. There's your intrigue for the match at TLC. Then at the show Kingston beats him, and you've made a star. What actually happens is Kingston surprisingly beats Orton in the Survivors match but then gets put in his place at TLC, and nothing is achieved.

I didn't care at the time because I hated Kofi, but I'll admit New Day has turned me round on him.

• Paid Members

Not really sure I see a potential part of pop culture when I see John Quinn. YMMV.

Fair enough. I was always surprised that a guy who looked like Daddy got to that level of fame.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the bump.

The biggest one for me, off the top of my head, is the Fatal 4 Way at WrestleMania. 

The Rock should have won that match all day long.

The match at Backlash, right down to every detail, should have been what happened at WrestleMania.

It's crazy that they never had a one on one match at WrestleMania. I still hope it will happen one day.

No offense to Mick Foley and Big Show, but there was no reason for them to be added to that match, and I can't help but wonder if Mick angled for it considering he was linked as an addition to the Rock/Austin match at WM99 and what we know about Ric Flair's allegations that he used to suck up to the writing staff to get better creative.

Just something I thought about; better to "end" your career in a WM main event rather than a B Pay Per View, in spite of how good the Cell match was, perhaps.

• Paid Members

Kurt Angle should’ve beaten Triple H at Unforiven 2000 with the help of Stephanie. That love triangle storyline was one of the best things they’ve ever done, perfectly scripted to end in Stephanie turning on Hunter and choosing Kurt, but then someone shat the bed and it ended in the last satisfying way possible. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so deflated watching pro-wrestling.

Would have loved to see Booker beat HHH at Mania 19.

Really think it would have cemented him a top guy. A wasted opportunity.

The finish to that match aswell, killed him dead. An absolute shame.

Went on to have a great career dont get me wrong.

Also, Braun beating Brock at "Generic PPV #8" a month or so back.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

The biggest one for me, off the top of my head, is the Fatal 4 Way at WrestleMania. 

The Rock should have won that match all day long.

The match at Backlash, right down to every detail, should have been what happened at WrestleMania.

It's crazy that they never had a one on one match at WrestleMania. I still hope it will happen one day.

No offense to Mick Foley and Big Show, but there was no reason for them to be added to that match, and I can't help but wonder if Mick angled for it considering he was linked as an addition to the Rock/Austin match at WM99 and what we know about Ric Flair's allegations that he used to suck up to the writing staff to get better creative.

They did the 4 way because they knew Mania would draw huge anyway and wanted to see if saving the one on one for Backlash would draw a monster buy rate. It worked.

• Paid Members

Plus, trying to do the Backlash match, “right down to every detail,” at Wrestlemania a month earlier wouldn’t have been pretty. Stone Cold’s run-in was already uncomfortable to watch, with him nowhere near healthy enough to be throwing those chair shots, visibly struggling to stand up after one of them took him off his feet. Give him a month less time to recover from surgery and he’d have probably just lay on the floor, unable to get back up. Not what you want for the biggest show of the year.

A fee for me:

Taz vs HHH: had Taz gone over it'd have been Huge, helped the newly purchased ECW brand immensely and legitimised the ECW talent as a threat. 

HHH V Booker T (Wm): T had to win this. HHH going over clean was the sh*ts and devalued T immensely. 

HHH v Sting (Wm): Stings first match and he jobs! This is WHY Sting didn't join 15 years previous. He knew the score and cashed out when at the end (smart man)

3 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

A fee for me:

Taz vs HHH: had Taz gone over it'd have been Huge, helped the newly purchased ECW brand immensely and legitimised the ECW talent as a threat. 

HHH V Booker T (Wm): T had to win this. HHH going over clean was the sh*ts and devalued T immensely. 

HHH v Sting (Wm): Stings first match and he jobs! This is WHY Sting didn't join 15 years previous. He knew the score and cashed out when at the end (smart man)

ECW was purchased in 2001 which was after Triple H beat Taz which was in 2000.

It's not HHH being booked to beat Booker-T that annoyed me so much as the manner in which he beat him; didn't he take about a minute to pin him after the only Pedigree of the match? 

HHH was due a long title reign in fairness, having only beat HBK at Armageddon. HHH vanquishing the likes of Steiner and Nash on his way to a money match with Goldberg made more sense than Booker and any other combination.

Now, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he was booked to win the Elimination Chamber though.

3 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

Now, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he was booked to win the Elimination Chamber though.

Because Goldberg had bombed until then and been booed in all of his PPV matches. The stars aligned for him at SummerSlam but the booking had to be based on his performance to that point.

Archived