If you could change one match result...

DraxSpago

This may die on it's arse but if you could change one match result from any promotion ever, what would it be and why? Be as selfish as you want or make it make business sense, just explain why and hopefully it will lead to some good discussion

My one is probably an obvious pick for a lot of people, I wish Goldberg had won the Elimination Chamber at Summerslam '03

Triple H was injured, they'd kept Goldberg lukewarm since beating The Rock (where admittedly he was booed out of the building), his feud with Jericho was just killing time and then they kept him off the next PPV if I remember correctly.  Everything fell into place for them, HHH's injury meant they changed the match to a chamber match to cover for him and so Goldberg annihilating everyone would've been perfect, it would've shown off all his strengths, Triple H could've had some time off to rest his leg and it would've freshened Raw up no end

You could've put Goldberg against Flair and Orton the following month, continuing his feud with Evolution, then had either him and Orton in a singles at Survivor Series or put Batista in for another 3 way with Flair at ringside

That way you get HHH off Raw for a couple of months, had 2 up and comers mixing with the World Champion in fresh matches, and you can still do the 3 way with HHH and Kane at Armageddon to get the belt back on Hunter to set up Mania 20

Plus it would've been one of the most memorable title wins ever, certainly better than his plodding match at Unforgiven where he did eventually win it

Right, so what's anyone else's picks?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I'd probably have Roman Reigns win the 2014 Royal Rumble. We might have ended up with a very different landscape today.

The Reigns at that point was not the one we've got at the moment; he was the Reigns people were getting behind, who people wanted to see win and beat people up. I know that there were big plans for Batista's return, and he was almost a foregone conclusion for the Rumble win, but when it got down to those final two, I (and I'm sure many others) both thought 'can Roman do it?' and actually wanted him to. If they'd ridden that wave, and struck while the iron was hot, who knows what could have happened? People might not have pissed on that Rumble as much, at the very least.

Roman maybe wasn't ready to be Champion at that point, but he had two big things in his favour - momentum, and The Shield. With that, you could at least have had a go and not bottled it - he beats Batista at the Rumble, so he's off to a decent start, and you maybe put him on the Bryanesque anti-Authority trajectory.

Still have the Shield vs Wyatts at Elimination Chamber, and make him look a star within that. You maybe change Champion here, because Reigns vs Orton's not a WM30 main event, but you can always just triple threat it and stick Batista in, so Reigns is in the Bryan position. Or have Ambrose & Rollins vs Orton & Batista and then Roman vs Triple H. You could still have the Shield vs Evolution feud post-Mania.

From there, I'm not sure. Maybe go for a title drop somewhere before Summerslam, so we can still have Lesnar vs Cena and then Lesnar vs Reigns (with Roman winning) at 31. There's lots you could have done, is my point.

I think Roman is nigh on un-recoverable at this point, but in early 2014, he could have believably been the man, and I think changing that Rumble result would have been the thing to shove him up to that level I just don't know if he can achieve any more.

And he wouldn't have had fucking contact lenses and smileys and fairy tales and tater tots either.

I still think they should've put the title on The Rock at Mania 16 as this was one of the main reasons Backlash turned out to be a better PPV than their biggest show of the year.

And another result that still bugs me to this day is why they didn't have Trish win the womens title at Mania 18 infront of that huge crowd in Canada, but yet they had her win it the next night on Raw. She would've had an awesome pop at Mania.  Just another booking that made no sense.

I change the finish to the Orton/Triple H match at Mania 25. For me, Orton should have gone over, and in brutal fasion as well. With a sound defeat of Triple H.

Those months of epic actions/promos from Orton, only to have Trip's totally muller him at Mania, made look a right goon.

I'm probably cheating a little here but in recent memory I'm not sure the Wyatt Family breaking up was a good thing to do as it ruined the momentum they had going for them and they all looked a little lost by themselves. 

Speaking of which there has been a few matches Bray Wyatt has been thrown into where he should have gone over that would have really helped him be one of the very top stars, I still think he should have went over Cena at Mania and really cement himself as a serious threat, I understand that Mania is the fairytale ending and Cena is that good guy but Wyatt did look strong going into it and not quite the same afterwards, same could also be said of Rusev the following Mania.

Bray in my opinion could be a massive star and a very good face too if they used him properly. 

Owen Hart beats Bret in the Cage at Summerslam 1994. This is partially selfish as I was/am a massive Owen fan as this was one of the most guttering wrestling related memories for me as a kid. Bret did nothing with the title at S/S until he lost it to Backlund at Survivors. Why not just have Owen take the title at S/S and lose it to Diesel in the same way that Backlund did. This keeps the title off Backlund and gives you more credible heel in Owen at a time that they were in desperate need of them.

Owen being the massive cry baby about losing the title would have been a good way for him to go too. He was always best in this type of role.

• Paid Members

Probably Bobby Roode vs. Kurt Angle at Bound For Glory 2011.  I don't think I've ever felt so deflated at the end of a PPV.

A couple of TNA ones sprung to mind instantly. When Raven got out of his WWE contract in 2003 they made him seem like a huge deal and seemed to have a character and a feud that people were talking about. Then Jarrett won and Raven died. A couple of years ago they did an amazing job of building a World Title match for Gunner. They made him seem like a star. Then he lost when he couldn't afford to. They might aswell not have bothered.

The moment WCW hit the skids for me was the fingerpoke of doom. Kevin Nash retains against Hogan that night and who knows what their future holds. Instead it's nWo hell again and no-one's bigger than Hogan. Downhill all the way.

• Paid Members

It would have died anyway with or without the finger poke of doom. WCW was so knackered internally. The fact the finger poke was given the go ahead showed how desperate they were. Starrcade 97 is when they really died. It just exposed everyone in charge as having no clue. I cant believe a promotion with that amount of talent put together a card that unappealing. And the one match that was appealing, had a finish so offensive it killed the top babyface.

So I'd go with the main event Starrcade 97. Not the winner, but the whole outcome of it. Sting should have beat Hogan up, the nWo should have came down the whole WCW locker room should have charged in and threw the nWo out of the building or some shit, and Sting should have won clean. But whatever.

• Paid Members

I'm going to disregard any of the "sensible booking" possible answers and just answer from the heart...... MONTREAL.

Owen Hart beats Bret in the Cage at Summerslam 1994. This is partially selfish as I was/am a massive Owen fan as this was one of the most guttering wrestling related memories for me as a kid. Bret did nothing with the title at S/S until he lost it to Backlund at Survivors.

What Bret was doing on the road was running Bret & Bulldog vs Owen & Anvil as part of the revenge storyline from the aftermath of SummerSlam as something fresh to draw fans in the same towns that had all seen one round of Bret vs Owen for the belt and they were assuming the same fans wouldn't pay for another round of Bret vs Owen. Could they have ran the same shows with Owen as champion? Probably. But using Owen as a fall guy to transition the belt from Bret to Diesel would have damaged him, potentially, for any kind of strong midcard role (which he'd occupy for the next 3/4 years) whereas Backlund was a spent force that they made look a threat briefly but you lose nothing in letting Diesel slaughter him.

But I'll let you off on the emotional investment argument.

• Paid Members

Purely for selfish reasons, I would have loved to have seen Sting go over Rollings at Night of Champions. If he hadn’t got injured, and added the WWE World Heavyweight Championship to his résumé, that would have been a fantastic moment.

Archived