UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

These, "lucky punch," mugs are embarrassing. I knew it was coming, it's exactly the type of shit people used to say to discredit Brock Lesnar when he was public enemy number one, but it still blows my mind.

It'd be one thing if they were both throwing uncontrollable bombs (ironically, the way Wanderlei has won some of his fights in the past), but the Aldo knock out couldn't have been a better example of skill, timing and precision. There was nothing lucky about it. He knocked him clean out with the perfect punch thrown at the perfect time. It'd be like saying that Anderson Silva's knock out of Vitor Belfot was nothing more than a lucky kick. Fuck off, lads.

I honestly wouldn't put it past them to eventually claim that Conor's left hand shot being so ridiculous is somehow cheating and that he shouldn't be allowed to use it.

SCCZEN_AP151213190837_480x270.jpg

Lucky, my arse.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's adorable. As Rogan pointed out on his podcast, you seen McGregor practice the exact punch above in his dressing room before the fight. It was the wasn't the lucky punch, but the perfect punch. McGregor's camp saw an opening and McGregor's execution was an A+. Very much the opposite of what we seen with Rousey and her camp at the PPV before.

It's weird this stuff with Conor. Somebody should post the 'Not legit until beats The Undertaker's streak' image.

If you take a shot in a football match, do you think it could be called a lucky goal?

I'm never one for going like for like in different sports but if you take a shot that is on target and it crosses the line, then it isn't lucky, even if Massimo Taibi is in goal because the intention was there to shoot and score.

Edit. Herb, that is fantastic.

• Paid Members

I can't think of a bigger fall from grace in MMA than Wanderlei Silva has had, 3 years ago everybody loved him now he is just some crazy old cheating loon.

Oh don't even get me started. Wanderlei Silva went from universally beloved legend to test dodging, nonsense rambling embarrassment in a staggeringly short time. As a fighter I'm about as big a fan of Wanderlei as you'll find and even I unfollowed him on twitter and stopped reading and watching his drivel a while back. He's gone in the head. And as much as everyone takes the piss out of him, I honestly think he needs checking for brain damage. Something's not right with him these days. I don't think the rest of his career was all an act, almost everyone in MMA seemed to like him before, he seems to have become a different person the last couple of years. His reputation is fucked in MMA now. And this is a sport that forgives juicers, cokeheads, wifebeaters and accepts Gareth A Davies. Wand though, is finished. I can't ever see him back in the fold anywhere that matters. He hasn't killed a kid but he's still somehow pretty much Benoit'd his career.

I honestly wouldn't put it past them to eventually claim that Conor's left hand shot being so ridiculous is somehow cheating and that he shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Ha, like Lex Luger and the steel plated forearm in 1993. I can't believe it's taken a week and a half for the 'lucky punch' thing to get trotted out. Maybe it's been brought up already but it's the first time I've seen it.

It wasn't lucky at all. Now if they fought 50 times I don't think it'd end that quick more than once or twice. 13 seconds is ridiculous. But it happened this time and that's all that matters. That doesn't mean it's all down to luck. People are idiots.

If you throw a punch, it's not a lucky punch. That was my view in boxing and it carries over to UFC.

Exactly. I've always said this as well. There is no such thing as a lucky punch in a sport where the aim is to throw punches and both participants agree to throw punches. Where's the luck in that? It's not like Aldo never knew McGregor was going to be trying to punch him. He trained specifically for that. It's not like McGregor ran up and suckerpunched him in the checkout queue in Tesco and KO'd him. They were in a pro fight.

If you trained to throw a punch, you throw a punch, it lands and knocks the other guy out - it's not a lucky punch. Luck does come into MMA to some degree of course but the phrase 'lucky punch' is shite and always has been. It's only ever used to discredit.

The worst one I remember, even worse than this, was when Chris Weidman knocked out Anderson Silva. The lucky punch thing after that was almost unbearable. Crazy levels of stupidity and denial. How Weidman got lucky enough to not only land the lucky KO punch but also win a lucky 10-8 round before that...man, that's some luck.

• Paid Members

Let's be honest, If Aldo's coach didn't come out stating it was a lucky punch we would all be in shock. I'm pretty sure even he doesn't believe it's a lucky punch, but their camp has to play all their cards now to try and get that rematch and another big pay day.

• Paid Members

True. That's what the Pederneiras quote is about.

The thing is, how the fuck do they sell an immediate rematch of a 13 second knockout? I mean, fucking hell. And I wouldn't blame McGregor if he's not keen on the Aldo rematch either. Let's face it, he can't beat Aldo any more impressively than he just did really.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I'd love more than to see McGregor and Aldo rematch and actually have the great fight we were all expecting last time. But for the life of me I can't think how you promote an immediate rematch after how the first fight went. Unless the UFC themselves are going to spin it as a lucky punch which would be silly. Asking people to pay $40-50 to see a rematch of a 13 second KO?

I'd rather see McGregor vs Edgar next. And let Aldo rebound against someone else. Maybe give Cub Swanson his rematch with Aldo, I dunno. Or Aldo vs Holloway or something. Then if they both win, McGregor vs Aldo 2. I just think Aldo coming back fresh off being flatlined in 13 seconds, straight into the rematch, is shit. I can see it hurting the buys and I'd rather see Aldo win a fight first and get some confidence and momentum again.

• Paid Members

The UFC won't need to sell it as a lucky punch as Aldo and his camp will do that for them. 

However, there isn't going to be an immediate rematch as there's too many options on the table for Mcgregor right now. 

Another part of the equation really is Aldo's reliability. When there's so many of other big money fights for Mcgregor, I'm not sure rewarding someone who continually pulls out, whilst spending big money on promotion, is the best idea.

• Paid Members

Brendan Schaub gave an alarming stat on the Rogan podcast that since the new drug testing came in, Aldo's camps record in the UFC is 1-8.

As for Wanderlei's battered reputation, im wondering if time will fix it. There are many boxers who left the sport in disgrace but it gets smoothed over in time. The Wanderlei stuff is all abit fresh, im sure in time he'll be spoken about for his fighting legacy rather than the other shit.

I don't think anybody thinks it was a lucky punch but it's not like he got beat down for a full fight, remember JDS knocked out Cain and then look what happened in their next two fights.

I would say business aside Aldo has more of a claim for a rematch than Cain & Ronda

• Paid Members

q

If you throw a punch, it's not a lucky punch. That was my view in boxing and it carries over to UFC.

Exactly. I've always said this as well. There is no such thing as a lucky punch in a sport where the aim is to throw punches and both participants agree to throw punches. Where's the luck in that? It's not like Aldo never knew McGregor was going to be trying to punch him. He trained specifically for that. It's not like McGregor ran up and suckerpunched him in the checkout queue in Tesco and KO'd him. They were in a pro fight.

If you trained to throw a punch, you throw a punch, it lands and knocks the other guy out - it's not a lucky punch. Luck does come into MMA to some degree of course but the phrase 'lucky punch' is shite and always has been. It's only ever used to discredit.

The worst one I remember, even worse than this, was when Chris Weidman knocked out Anderson Silva. The lucky punch thing after that was almost unbearable. Crazy levels of stupidity and denial. How Weidman got lucky enough to not only land the lucky KO punch but also win a lucky 10-8 round before that...man, that's some luck.

Agreed 100%, think I've even said this on here before too. There's no such thing as a lucky punch. If a fighter throws a punch, it's a punch he's thrown hundreds, thousands of times, that he's gauged, adjusted and practiced until it's the fastest, strongest and/or most accurate he can make it.

As long as his fists are "live", it's a punch he intended to throw. If they're "dead", chances are he's given up already or he's lost consciousness, in which case, such a punch won't knock anyone out.

• Paid Members

UFC did a poll on who fans wanted to see against Conor McGregor next. The results were 39% wanted Jose Aldo, 37% wanted Frankie Edgar and 20% wanted Rafael dos Anjos.

Of the three potential opponents I think I'd prefer the Aldo rematch because I think he's the easiest fight and selfishly I don't want to ride to end. Seems crazy describing Aldo as an easier fight than anyone else, but that's the current lay of the land. Edgar and Dos Anjos looked like absolute killers these past two weeks.

I remember last summer, in the build up to UFC 194, the plan was that if Conor beat Aldo then they'd do the rematch in a Dublin stadium next spring. I know those suggestions were made before he knocked him out in record time and I know that the Dublin stadium is almost a running joke at this point, but I don't care. That's the fight I want and whilst it sucks to be Frankie Edgar, I think that's the fight that makes the most business sense as well.

The two greatest crowds I've ever been a part of were at UFC Dublin last year and the World Tour press conference in Dublin earlier this year. Never has a crowd deserved a good will gesture as much as Dublin does, so if they're willing to treat London with Anderson Silva then they should also treat Dublin with that stadium. There's no doubt they'd sell it out and create a killer atmosphere.

Archived