UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone posted this - it's not like night & day (like Dos Anjos) but the abs are slightly deflated and the pecs look less hard, arms a bit smaller, etc.

CWS55V-UEAABRId.jpg

Hmmmm - I think those photos are a bit misleading.

The photo of Aldo at UFC 194 is much less clearer. Look at how blurry the Harley Davis graphics are in the background. Yet in the other photo, the logo on the ref's shirt is quite clear. The poor lightening on the left photo probably makes Aldo's physique look less defined than it actually was.  Also, in the photo on the right, Aldo is positioned more to the side rather than at an angle, so his arm muscles will naturally appear to be a bit bigger.

The pictures that Supremo posted are a bit more reflective (IMO). 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It also comes down to when the photo is taken. This doesn't apply to Aldo, as the photos of him were all taken at a similar stage (I.E fight night). But as we know, fighters can look very different, dependent on the stage of their camp. Heck, we all remember the visual of a deflated McGregor at one of his weigh-ins.

That said, the people who are saying RDA looks different could be onto something. I wouldn't dismiss the notion that enhanced drug testing is shifting the balance (as Herbie and others alluded to on the previous page). I raised my eyebrows when I read the commission didn't test fighters when RDA last fought.

I don't want to start a witch hunt though, so let's wait until Fight Night.. 

There's a big CABMMA story about to break about a certain Brazilian gym, no details are released yet though, talking long term suspensions.

194 prelims did over 1.9 million viewers and peaked at over 2.3 for the Faber fight, that's the biggest preliminary number since moving to Fox and I think only one card on Spike beat that and that was Anderson-Belfort and was only an hour broadcast.

I only read Meltzers mmafighting.com articles so don't know what he writes in the Observer but I don't think he has even mentioned the 193 buy rate, Lorenzo Fertitta said it was trending to be the second highest but that was just after 193.

We should probably hear more in a few weeks but it looks like Boxing & MMA both have had their biggest year ever in PPV sales, not bad for a format that is supposed to be dying.

The UFC brand isn't drawing now as much as it used too but the big fights are, same in Boxing big time fights will still sell loads.

The UFC brand isn't drawing now as much as it used too but the big fights are,

I think that reflects the fanbase. The novelty of pure fights has long since worn off.

Based on the rumoued UFC 193 buyrate, the UFC's fanbase is probably as big as ever. They are just a lot more selective in what captivates them. Much like Boxing, the UFC has become a star-driven business. As someone who has been a fan for 10 years, I can feel this trend.

My interest is harder to inspire, hence why I can miss most of the minor shows these days. But when the likes of Rousey, D.C and Jones fight, my intrigue is easily re-inspired. With McGregor, my interest nears an all-time high. I look forward to his fights like I did Lesnar's, maybe even more so. 

If McGregor continues to thrive like he has done this year, I think he will become the biggest drawing card in UFC history. That's no mean feat, as I really thought Brock was going to hold that distinction for a heck of a long time. 

I'm the same that's why I get annoyed when people talk about watering down the product, you don't have to watch every fucking thing the UFC puts out and you can still be a fan if you watch a few events a year, the UFC over here has had more mainstream buzz from UFC 193 & UFC 194 than they've probably ever had, sadly some might not be into 195 even though that's a potential FOTYC.

I'm the same that's why I get annoyed when people talk about watering down the product, you don't have to watch every fucking thing the UFC puts out and you can still be a fan if you watch a few events a year, the UFC over here has had more mainstream buzz from UFC 193 & UFC 194 than they've probably ever had, sadly some might not be into 195 even though that's a potential FOTYC.

Agreed.

If I am honest, I was one of those who used to moan. However, in retrospect, I was just going through a period of changing my viewing habits. With the UFC's expansion, my old approach of watching every show became difficult. Once I got used to missing shows, it stopped bothering me.  

I think after 10 years, my appetite for MMA programming was always going wane. Luckily, my affection for the sport clearly hasn't. I consider 2015 to be one of my favourite years as a UFC fan. The quantity of my viewing has decreased, but the quality of it has been excellent.

It also comes down to when the photo is taken. This doesn't apply to Aldo, as the photos of him were all taken at a similar stage (I.E fight night). But as we know, fighters can look very different, dependent on the stage of their camp. Heck, we all remember the visual of a deflated McGregor at one of his weigh-ins.

Also, Two of those photos have been taken in the gym and one looks like a UFC promo picture, with all the touchups that come with it.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say he's deflated Jim. He cuts so much weight he looks gaunt as fuck, but he's still shredded and lean. 

• Paid Members

Rogan has apologised to Aldo about the "leaked" audio and for saying he thinks Edgar should get the next title shot. https://www.instagram.com/p/_YWVcrpyMW/

Well he sort of says he's wrong, then points out Aldo does look different from years ago.

Can't wait to see Overeem.

I'm not sure what he really needed to apologise about. For having an opinion?

Archived