Seth Rollins...The Future?

Michael_3165

I couldn't see a topic on Seth Rollins specifically and wanted to find out people's thoughts on the guy that has been pushed harder than just about anyone since the turn of the year... Seth Rollins.

Sting gave on WWE.com where he said that Rollins is the best that he has ever wrestled and that he has unlimited potential for the future. This echoes a number of interviews where people have said Rollins has 'it' and that Rollins has only just scratched the surface of what he could do. 

Following from the John Cena Retirement thread I got thinking and my question is do you believe in a long term run at the top for Rollins and does he have the star quality needed to carry the program into the future? 

For me Rollins doesn't sit right but not because he isn't super talented. It's difficult to define but I do believe being paired with Triple H only highlights how far Rollins has to go to become 'the man' in the business. The guy is a fantastic worker though I still question how much he could do psychology wise without the false finish heavy style that WWE has adopted in recent times. I admit however that I haven't seen much of him other than his WWE run. 

On the flip-side I do believe that the WWE is in safe hands (at least from a heel perspective). Sure he has a way to go but if he gets the right advice and the right positioning I can see him going heel to face to heel again over the course in the coming years. 

I really like Rollins although I've not seen anything of him since Wrestlemania. So the last I remember of him were his cracking performances at the Rumble and at Mania.

He's not there yet but I can see him as the next Jeff Hardy/CM Punk/Edge. He's never going to be a Cena/Austin/HHH. He's not that good. He'll will be someone who dips in and out of the main event scene over the next 5-10 years, be involved in some classic matches and angles but never be the man. That's my guess, anyway. 

Rollins will be the man in terms of in ring performance, as said above, that Rumble triple threat showed Rollins in a new light to me, he was over with me as a heel but to overshadow Lesnar and Cena in the same match showed me the guy is awesome.

Really looking forward to the Rollins face turn and the (i think) match with HHH. Rollins pinning HHH with a pedigree at Mania is a WrestleMania moment and a half.

• Paid Members

The reason Rollins is failing, for me, is that he's no threat to anyone. There's no sense of danger, his matches never seen to build to any clear finish (not just a criticism of him alone), and his promos are weak.

Most of that, though, is booking, and if he can flip it around to become a genuine menace as a heel, or a scrappy little pup as a babyface, he could draw money.

• Paid Members

Rollins has now been the top full time baddie for a year, pretty much since costing Cena the Lesnar rematch at Night of Champions last year.

I saw him main event the house show in Brighton vs Cena two months later. It was great, and he got proper top bad guy reactions.

I also saw him live at Extreme Rules where his Cage match with Randy Orton had the Chicago crowd well invested, they were properly pro-Orton, anti-Rollins, much less smarky than I expected.

It's the lack of interesting scenarios that's killing him more than anything else, as evidenced by yet more Cena matches at Summerslam and Night of Champions this year then again on Raw this week.

At least the Kane scenario now is paying off the months of no advancement on the tension between them all spring and summer.

I don't think heels have to be 'menacing' as such. That's what guys like the Wyatts bring to the table, but there's definitely room for a slimy heel at the top.

They've shown him to be uncaring about the wellbeing of others and willing to hurt them where necessary, but his whole personality is more towards the sneaky side than anything.

It's almost more annoying in that way because he's clearly a talented guy who could win under his own ability but chooses to take short cuts.

• Paid Members

I think he'll be a good babyface, but he's genuinely an abysmal main event heel. He talks like a rubbish panto villain and wrestles like he's after applause 'cause moves. I don't like him, hate him or believe him, which is the issue.

It's this for me too. The character is too confusing. He wrestles like a baby, he drops zingers on other heels, he's constantly arguing with Steph and HHH and then asking for help, he's a whiny chicken shit on the mic. It's horrible stuff.

He gets booked to talk like 2000 Triple H week after week and he's not 25% as good at it.

He should be a babyface. He's made for it. Otherwise he's just a Chris Jericho floundering at the top.

I don't know if this is trivial but he lost a lot of his edge with me when they stopped him using the curb stomp, there was something about that move that made him stand out, it's a real heel style move that can't help but come across as nasty as fuck. I used to look forward to seeing it, and seeing the different ways he could come up with to hit it, i.e. off the announce desk on to Orton I think it was.

This whole Pedigree thing is just rubbish to me, I get what they are doing, and when the feud with HHH happens it will be no doubt be played into that story but for now I just go "oh here he goes again" when he attempts the pedigree rather than inching forward in my seat at the anticipation of the curb stomp.

I'd gladly never lay eyes on him again. Thought he was shite in ROH when I saw bits of it. Clearly the worst part of the Shield. Now the worst WWE Champ since Del Rio.

Once the Shield split I expected him to settle into a role as a Ziggler-style JTTS, and I still think that's his level. I predict that in future Rollins being the company ace for most of a calendar year will be as puzzling as Miz main eventing Mania with Cena and Rock.

Archived