Seth Rollins...The Future?

Michael_3165

Once the Shield split I expected him to settle into a role as a Ziggler-style JTTS, and I still think that's his level. I predict that in future Rollins being the company ace for most of a calendar year will be as puzzling as Miz main eventing Mania with Cena and Rock.

There's nothing puzzling about Miz getting that slot. He was by far the best heel WWE had in the year or two prior, and he was going to do as he was told and not take attention away from the Cena/Rock feud.

There's nothing puzzling about Rollins' current spot either. He's Triple H's boy, and they can't build a new top babyface because we're in the "stop telling me who to like, Vince, you're not my real dad" era of bratty fans. So they're as well to go all the way with Rollins as a heel and then try turning him face. I think his ceiling will depend on whether WWE has the balls to make a new Cena at some point. Rollins can't be the new John Cena -- so if someone else gets that spot, Rollins could easily be the Orton equivalent. Always near the top of the card, can be slotted in as a heel or face etc.

But if WWE will keep losing their nerve and failing to create a new Cena-level star, they'll be in the New Generation type situation where there isn't really anyone on top. Rollins could well be a Bret Hart.

I think what strikes me is also how Steph and Triple H keep putting Rollins in compromising positions but they are with him. I get that they want to make him into the best champion to and challenge him and push him further but to me it doesn't make sense. They should be stacking the deck against the opponent not Rollins because it doesn't help his cause because he cheats to win anyway. It's a very backward way of booking that doesn't totally make sense to me. 

I wonder if that weird dynamic is indicative of WWE keeping their options open as to whether it'll be Seth Rollins or Triple H who turns babyface when they do feud. It seems obvious that it'd be Rollins, but unless there's a turn on the cards for Reigns and/or Ambrose, they need Rollins as the top baddie on Raw every week. I can't see Kevin Owens being a good choice as the Authority wrestler, because he looks like a more ridiculous choice for company poster boy than Daniel Bryan ever was. And I'm not sure Sheamus has got it in him.

Archived