UFC 187: Cormier vs Rumble

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I seriously hope we don't see Cormier win, as I don't really want to see him get schooled by Jones any time soon. If Rumble can get the KO it increases his reputation as a killer and sets up the fight I really want to see, which is Rumble vs Jones.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously hope we don't see Cormier win, as I don't really want to see him get schooled by Jones any time soon. If Rumble can get the KO it increases his reputation as a killer and sets up the fight I really want to see, which is Rumble vs Jones.

Logically, I agree with you.

However, I just can't root against D.C.

• Paid Members

Yeh always good when Helwani's on hand, his pre-post show stuff is the best in the bidness.

Gonna have an afternoon on the hype today to get ready, this is gonna be a good one.

Weidman wasn't happy with Belfort at the weigh-ins. Said he is still cheating as he had a testosterone level of 1200 during his training camp..

Weidman's nonsense is starting to grate on me to be honest. He said he wanted the fight in the US because Belfort wasn't being tested properly in Brazil, and that's happened. He wanted Belfort tested frequently, which has happened. Belfort has been subject to random blood and urine testing leading up to the fight. Shit, Belfort is even paying for this testing out of his own pocket!

When it's a case of a one-off urine test, the actual time of day and your activity can play a huge part in the results you'll get. Simple things like what you've eaten that day, how active you've been prior to the test (a guy rolling into his 2nd training session of the day at 12 o'clock for example will have a higher rate than a dude who's trained four times and is tested at 9pm just before he eats his final meal of the day) all play a part.

Both fighters have been drug tested via blood testing, which is where the real results show up, and both have come back clean, and the Commission is more than happy with Belfort's results.

It's getting to the point now where I just want Vitor to headkick Weidman into the front row, praise the Lord almighty and offer to bounce Matt Serra's rotund ass all over the cage for him.

• Paid Members

I'm not feeling this Weidman self righteous stuff at all. I've never got where the dislike for Weidman comes from. He's not mega likeable like a Bas Rutten or JDS or someone like that but there's nothing to really dislike there for me. He seems pretty sound in everything I've seen of him.

If it's about him moaning about Belfort's TRT use, wasn't everyone moaning about that before? Luke Rockhold and Bisping have moaned much more than Weidman about it as well.

I get David's point that Weidman still saying it now is silly because he's clearly being tested now, you only have to look at the pictures. He's met with every demand asked of him in regards to testing. And like I always said, as stupid as the whole TRT thing was and as much as it should never have been legal, it was legal so Belfort wasn't breaking any rules at the time. It was a loophole that shouldn't have been there in the first place, but it was.

But at the same time, we know Belfort was gassing to fuck. If Weidman is completely clean and he resents guys cheating, what's the problem?

I've always loved watching Belfort fight. For me he's one of the most exciting fighters in the sport's history just because of how explosive and fast he is. I hope he fights well tonight because he really needs to look good coming off all his issues and the layoff. But the Weidman dislike absolutely baffles me. I mean, people are going to like or dislike whoever they want and that's fair enough. I really don't get it though. Like the Cormier dislike that was building before he positioned himself as Jones' arch-nemesis, it's weird. There's nothing dickish or slimy about him for me. Comparing him to Jones is off the mark IMO.

• Paid Members

Have to agree with wand here - Weidman's never come across as slimy or dickish to me. He's certainly nowhere near as bad as Jones; I think that comparison is in danger of becoming MMA's version of Godwin's Law (although I understand the irony that, of course, it's hyperbolic to position Jones as the Hitler of online MMA discussion, but you get what I mean).

His banging on about the TRT thing is a bit shitty, though. I'm not sure what more he expects Belfort to do; he's already heavy odds-on favourite and the champ - he's got a very strong psychological and, theoretically, tactical advantage in terms of the scorecards (should Belfort prove difficult to finish). As wand said, he knows he himself is clean, so what else is there?

• Paid Members

Weidman's a Serra-Longo guy so he's always gonna be cool with me. The sitdown interview with Helwani gave a great little insight into the guys personality, im not quite sure how anyone could actually dislike him. Seems an all around sound bloke.

• Paid Members

Comparisons between Chris Weidman and Jon Jones seem bonkers to me. If there's a slimy, snidey side to Weidman similar to Jones then it's a million times more subtle, to the point where I haven't even noticed it.

With Jon it was almost comedically obvious. His portrayal of being a God-loving nice guy was transparent as fuck, and anyone with eyes and ears could tell that he was completely fully of shit, even before all the evidence came tumbling out. Chris on the other hand has always seemed like a hard working, nice enough bloke. Probably misunderstanding and overreacting about Vitor's levels in this instance, sure, but otherwise he's always came across as a pretty normal, average guy. Not Mark Munoz levels of niceness, of course, but I've never got a vibe that he's anything but a genuine family man, who works his arse off.

For instance, I thought he came across pretty great in that Helwani interview I posted earlier in the thread. Nearly crying when he talks about how tough the early parts of his career were and how he wasn't sure he could support his family? Awesome! Exactly what it is that people find comparable to Jon Jones? I don't get that at all.

And speaking of Jon Jones, I thought Conor McGregor was refreshingly brilliant when asked about him this week. Whereas everyone else is tip-toeing around the subject and trying to say as little as possible other than that they hope Jon sorts his legal matters out, Conor cuts right to the chase and proclaims that Jon Jones is a millionaire, so why the hell doesn't he have a driver? A simple point that nobody has mentioned. You're fucking rich, mate. Why are you driving around drunk when you could be chilling in the back of a limo?

In terms of predictions; I'm hoping for a Wediman win by utter destruction and a DC win by decision and I'm expecting a Weidman win by utter destruction and a Rumble win by heartbreaking knock out.

Imagine a Cormier win though? He'll be even happier than when Seth Rolling cashed in, if that's even possible. Love him.

Archived