UFC 187: Cormier vs Rumble

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Who's up for breaking wand's no good fingers?

After the Jones debacle, the Cerrone/Nurmagomedov was definitely the most anticipated fight for me, after some world class trash talk from both men. A real shame this match to determine the real cowboy of MMA isn't happening.

How strange it will be if it's the Weidman fight that goes a head, as everything else falls apart around it.

• Paid Members

After the Jones debacle, the Cerrone/Nurmagomedov was definitely the most anticipated fight for me, after some world class trash talk from both men. A real shame this match to determine the real cowboy of MMA isn't happening.

How strange it will be if it's the Weidman fight that goes a head, as everything else falls apart around it.

Equally, imagine if that fight falls through too! Considering it was probably the one that was most likely to not happen ... there's a good chance it could! Would that make this the biggest disaster PPV of all time?

There was never any question who the real Cowboy was. ;)

• Paid Members

On a potential DC/Jones rematch, I'm interested to see how DC will do if he has a full training camp working with a fit Cain Velasquez. While it's maybe just a rubbish excuse from DC, you imagine it must be quite the difference training with a monster like Cain Velasquez everyday, as a way to sharpen your skill set in the lead up to a big fight.

Of course, the fight we all really want is Jones v Velasquez.

• Paid Members

Jesus fucking Christ.

What the fuck did you do Wand?

:(

I think I'm retiring from starting these threads. It's getting to the point where there's really no sense even doing the opening preview posts anymore anyway. The opening post of this thread is probably going to make no sense whatsoever by the time the event rolls around. The final card is likely going to resemble very little of the original.

John Madessi has stepped in to fight Cerrone.

Wand - I agree that D.C is a better wrestler than Davis. What concerns me is Rumble's strength and size. I wrote in the UFC 186 thread how the 205lbs weightclass can be distorted. I am concerned that even though D.C is a former HW, Rumble will just be too big and powerful for him.

D.C might be another Rashad. Technically, they are the best of the best, but due to their size and frame, they can't find a weightclass that allows them to showcase their optimum ability. Rashad would excel at a 195lbs weightclass. I think it was mainly size and reach that prevented Rashad from beating Jones, technically they are not as far apart as some might think (that's not a knock on Jones, more so, a tribute to Rashad). That 20lb difference between 205lbs and 185lbs is hefty. 

Rumble has the perfect size and frame to suit 205lbs. I think the division is bound to be dominated by guys north of 6ft tall, and with hefty reaches (I.E Jones, Gusty, Rumble). The days of Shogun, Machida and Hendo having success at 205lbs is long gone. Heck those guys look quite small for 185lbs these days.

• Paid Members

It really is mad, isn't it? That we're talking about a former heavyweight vs a former welterweight, and we're seeing the welterweight as the physically stronger guy.

I agree though. Brute strength, I'd give Rumble the nod there. But with Cormier's wrestling technique and knowledge I think he can close the gap on that strength defecit, whatever it is. It's a fascinating matchup really.

On your point about Rashad, Shogun, Machida etc - I think that arrival of Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin as heavyweights in 2008 ushered in a change in the divisions. The divisions have become bigger mens divisions on the whole since then. Guys like Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson could easily have came in as heavies. They're about as big as guys like Cain, JDS, Miocic and Arlovski. Weidman is comparable to 205ers of that era like Liddell and Tito. And so on. I think when Lesnar and Carwin came in everyone re-evaluated their standing in the divisions. Brandon Vera immediately dropped to 205 for one example. Now you've got gorillas like Bigfoot, Palelei and even Barnett in there. So you see bigger guys like Jones and Gus deciding to be the big man at 205 instead of an average sized heavy. Which in turn made LHW a bigger mans division, making Rashad, Shogun and Machida the little men of 205. Now you've got Rockhold at 185, a HUGE middleweight who measures up to some heavyweights.

I really wish Shogun and Rashad dropped to 185 a few years ago. It's too late for Shogun now IMO, he's pretty much completely shot. But I honestly think Rashad has a 185 run in him. I think he could at least challenge for the title and I think a Weidman vs Rashad fight could actually be really good. Not going to happen though. Between Rashad's lack of interest in cutting weight and him seeming to be injured all the time, I'm not even sure he fights again much less at 185.

I hope Rashad does come back. I have developed a soft spot for him in recent years.

I agree, Lesnar and Cormier were an early indication of what was to come. Watching Big Foot trample on Fedor was another sign. I know the game had caught up to Fedor, and he really should have moved with the times a bit more, but size was still a major factor in his downfall. Remember how a big yet relatively unskilled Heavyweight in Brett Rogers mauled Fedor during the first round of their fight.

GSP was also starting to look small at 170lbs, and there were even rumblings that he could make 155lbs. That is madness, when you consider how much bigger he looked than Sean Sherk in 2005 (Sherk wisely moved down after that fight). I also recall noticing how much smaller Matt Hughes looked next to Alves in 2008. 

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, Hughes looked like little and frail in there with Alves. The contrast was even more clear because Alves was fucking huge around that time. He slimmed down a few years ago because he was having issues making weight. But back in 2008 he was jacked. I get a feeling if they were doing random drug testing back then, his piss would've glowed in the dark if they turned up at ATT on the right day.

• Paid Members

the Hughes/Alves fight was a weird one. Hughes & Alves literally stepped in on a few days notice to help save the card because the original main event dropped off, i don't think either were meant to be on the show originally, Alves came in tanked up and overweight but they let the fight go on. It really felt like a case of the UFC throwing Hughes to the wolves, i remember feeling like it felt like a forgone conclusion that Hughes was getting fucked up that night.

• Paid Members

Yeah I was at that show. It was one of those injury plagued cards. The original main event was Chuck Liddell vs Shogun Rua. You can imagine my disappointment when Shogun reinjured his knee and that got binned.

Then it was going to be Chuck Liddell vs Rashad Evans. Then Chuck fucked his leg up. Then it was actually going to be Rashad Evans vs James Irvin but that got scrapped as well and they finally settled on Hughes vs Alves. A total shambles but it actually turned out to be a pretty fun show on the night.

That was the night I figured out that I didn't actually hate Matt Hughes. 

Seeing him laid out made me quite sad. This was the complete opposite of the reaction I had when GSP beat him in late 2006. Looking back, I had so much fun jeering Hughes from 2005-2007, that I didn't really want it to end. He was the man you loved to hate.

• Paid Members

I had similar thoughts more recently on Frank Mir.

Absolutely can't stand the prick but when he lost to Overeem I did kind of think 'that might be it for him' and I surprisingly felt a twinge of sadness. You have certain fighters you root against and you wish someone would batter them so bad they just fuck off. But when the time comes where it looks like they actually might be done, you realise it's more fun with guys like that around. At the end of the day it's fighting. If there's never anyone to root against, where's the fun in that?

Mir was getting to the point like Tito though where he's looking so shot that you don't even really get pleasure in seeing someone smack him about anymore. The Bigfoot win bought him a bit more time but he's on the way out now. We'll never get that Lesnar rubber match now :(

Back on topic, someone said on Luke Thomas' chat this week that, although the circumstances were clearly wildly different, the day Jones was stripped of his UFC title was one day off the same date his idol Muhammad Ali was stripped of his world title when he refused to be drafted to fight in Vietnam.

Ali was stripped on April 28th 1967. Jones was stripped on April 29th 2015. Kind of eery. When you consider that many pegged Jones to have the potential to go down as the Ali of MMA, not in terms of worldwide fame and influence etc but in the 'greatest of all-time' discussion.

jones-face.jpg

Archived