UFC 187: Cormier vs Rumble

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just watching the MMA Fighting post-fight show and they touched on something that bothered me after watching the show. Did anyone find Anthony Johnson's post-fight interview/press conference a little strange? Maybe it's reading too much into it, but Johnson just seemed to content with the defeat. He lacked any real emotion and just didn't seem to bothered about just losing one of the biggest fights of his life, it was almost like 'i lost, whatever'.

I have no idea what his gameplan was supposed to be. In his post fight interview he said "nothing surprised me about the fight" and "I knew I'd hit him hard and he'd take it". WTF was the plan in that case?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think he'd be an interesting proposition for Cormier, especially after he admitted to coming into the Jones fight all emotional and fired up. Imagine what Sonnen would be saying to him pre-fight?

Fuck all, I'd imagine. They're good mates due to hosting UFC Tonight together for ages, so it'd be more like the quiet-Chael we got before the Stann fight.

I don't mind Cormier vs Bader.

I dislike Bader, and it would be nice to see him humbled. Yes, it probably wouldn't be competitive, but it would at least keep D.C busy while we wait for Jones to be free.

In regards to Chael, I hope he doesn't come back. I like Chael, but I think he's had his day. I fear he would become like Tito Ortiz was from 2009-2012. The problem with such performers is that they lose they appeal very quickly, and despite having name value, their drawing ability slips. (at least on PPV, casual fans will tune in to see any old shite if it has name fighters involved, see Ortiz vs Bonnar)

• Paid Members

Just watching the MMA Fighting post-fight show and they touched on something that bothered me after watching the show. Did anyone find Anthony Johnson's post-fight interview/press conference a little strange? Maybe it's reading too much into it, but Johnson just seemed to content with the defeat. He lacked any real emotion and just didn't seem to bothered about just losing one of the biggest fights of his life, it was almost like 'i lost, whatever'.

I have no idea what his gameplan was supposed to be. In his post fight interview he said "nothing surprised me about the fight" and "I knew I'd hit him hard and he'd take it". WTF was the plan in that case?

Sounds like a guy who was beaten before he got in the cage.

• Paid Members

Sounds like a guy who was beaten before he got in the cage.

I thought he looked that way on the later embedded episodes too. He just looked like he'd come to terms with not winning.

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching this and, despite the injury issues, it still lived up to its potential. Definitely show of the year (so far).

I'm another one that scratches my head at all the Weidman hate - he's terrific. Personally, I loved all the "cheater" talk during all of this, as it gave the match an edge. Fun fight too, with so much going on in such a short spell. Weidman v drug cheats should be the MMA equivalent of Cena's US open challenge.

Rumble and DC are both cool dudes, so either winning and fighting Jones was always cool with me. However, DC/Jones is next level stuff, in terms of feuds - such a compelling story between the pair of them. Don't fancy DC's chances much in a Jones rematch though.

Fun show.

I also think Rumble had mentally prepared for Jones, and maybe found it difficult to change his gameplan and mindset when he was suddenly handed an opponent who brings a skillset that is completely different to the table. 

It's a shame really, as the Jones/Rumble fight would have been all manner of awesome. Now Rumble has lost all of his momentum, people are talking about how he isn't mentally tough, and more importantly, the aura isn't there any more. 

I'm not sure that a Jones/Rumble fight will have the same appeal when Jones comes back.

My guess is he took a higher salary rather than a PPV share. For instance if Cormier has the same deal as Eddie Alvarez was offered and this show did 550,000 buys he would get $500,000 extra. For the Jones fight he would have got $1.1 million extra.

Late to comment on this one but I agree with the general consensus that this was the show of the year so far. I even enjoyed Benevidez v Moraga and the Arlovski fight was completely insane. I like Weidman and I just think he's going to dominate MW for a good few years. He's scary good in several areas.

Pleased for Cormier. I think he handled the build up to this fight a million times better than he did the Jones fight. Rumble looked agitated in the interviews and embedded videos during fight week and despite picking him to win when the fight was announced, the nearer it got to the night of the fight the more convinced I was that DC was winning. I loved his post match interview - he's going to make an excellent interim champion!

Archived