UFC 187: Cormier vs Rumble

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

i've done an acca, i had two boxing fights on there which have come in...then from the UFC i have DC, Dodson, Benavidez, Browne & the anyone can win the Weridman/Belfort but it has to end by either KO or Decision.

You must fucking hate Travis Browne today.

Show of the year for me so far, this. Easy. We've all been saying the start of 2015 hasn't really panned out in practice like it seemed it would on paper, but there has been some fun shows (UFC 185, the Gus-Rumble Sweden show and the Machida-Rockhold card spring to mind). But this topped them all for me.

We were saying the other week that 2015 has really lacked those killer fights so far. Hopefully last night will be a sign of that changing because there were a couple of absolute belters on this one.

Cormier vs Rumble pretty much looked how I thought. I wasn't sure DC would be able to weather the storm but if he did I fancied him to take over and that's what happened. Cormier was saying this week that Rumble has the fighting style of a bully and I think that was spot on. When Cormier didn't go away after the early knockdown and then especially after the takedown, top control and ground and pound in round two, Rumble just seemed to break. There was a point right at the end of round two where I honestly thought Rumble was going to quit on the stool between rounds. He was looking bothered by the blood and making faces like he couldn't see. He looked fucking demoralised on the stool as well. He still came out swinging in third but at that point I think he was in desperation mode. As soon as DC got his back you just knew Rumble was done.

Rumble will be back and looking good again. It took an animal with Olympic calibre wrestling to stop him and he still had his moments. But I think this fight exposed the fact that Rumble can still be broken mentally like he was a couple of times at 170. Not many will have the tools to break him but DC showed it's at least possible. Everyone has weaknesses.

Couldn't be more chuffed for Cormier. Whatever happens now, he won the big one. He never beat 'the man' but he slayed a fucking monster. Rumble couldn't have been more classy either, nice moment with him strapping the title onto Cormier.

Get your shit together, Jon!

Someone tweeted that Cormier's post-fight promo should've just been "Hey pussy, are you still there?" I wish he said that. Gold.

Weidman vs Belfort also went how I expected, just quicker. Weidman crushed him. And survived the initial blitz in the process. Weidman needed something like this. He managed to show guts, intelligence, dominance and killer instinct all in a fight that lasted under three minutes. I don't know what Belfort does from here. I hope Rockhold is next for Weidman though. That's the fight at 185 now.

Anyone else find Weidman's dad annoying?

Cerrone looked sharp again. Continues to build momentum. When's Khabib due back? If it's pretty soon, I'd still like to see Cowboy vs Khabib. If not, sod it, give Cerrone the title shot now. No-one can say he hasn't earned it. He's on a hell of a streak and when you look at the guys he's been beating - Alvarez, Bendo, Miller, Barboza - title shot worthy without doubt.

Arlovski vs Browne was mental. Reminiscent of Kongo vs Barry but without the actual KO. Great fight. And although short, probably my FOTY so far this year. Can't remember the last time we saw a fight so crazy.

Arlovski's career resurgence has been a joy to watch. I remember reading a few years ago that when he was in his big career slump and losing fight after fight, he was so low he was suicidal at one point and actually played Russian Roulette for real. Nuts. Now he's back in the UFC, 3-0 and on the cusp of a title shot.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he's next in line to challenge the winner of Cain vs Werdum. There's Miocic but he's 1-1 in his last two and Arlovski's a bigger name and coming off a FOTY contender.

I'd do;

Cain/Werdum vs Arlovski

Miocic vs Overeem

Don't know where that leaves JDS though. If Cain beats Werdum, maybe do JDS vs Werdum 2?

Stun Gun vs Burkman was the highlight of the prelims. Excellent fight. If not for Arlovski vs Browne, this would've had FOTN sewn up, or at least it should have. Hopefully they get some backstage bonuses. Loved this fight. Great comeback finish for Kim as well.

Oh and great to see BJ Penn is going in the Hall Of Fame. It was always a no-brainer he'd go in eventually. Well deserved.

That Aldo vs McGregor promo was the shit!

Top show.

EDIT -

Cormier and Bader got into it at the post-fight presser. Cormier told him "this is my press conference, get the fuck out of here" and they went back and forth.

Guess that'll be Cormier's first defence with Jones on the sidelines, Rumble/Gus/Glover needing to rebuild etc.

Dana says Cerrone is getting the title shot as well so Dos Anjos vs Cerrone 2 is coming!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

And I wouldn't be surprised if he's next in line to challenge the winner of Cain vs Werdum. There's Miocic but he's 1-1 in his last two and Arlovski's a bigger name and coming off a FOTY contender.

Some way off topic, but I've been meaning to ask about this - why has Miocic never had a title shot? He's 15-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC - surely he should be higher in the rankings than he is?

• Paid Members

Here's the video for that Cormier-Bader confrontation at the press conference;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=1OKuNWymjWI

Some way off topic, but I've been meaning to ask about this - why has Miocic never had a title shot? He's 15-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC - surely he should be higher in the rankings than he is?

I think it's for a couple of reasons.

One - he just never quite seemed ready until recently. If you look at his record, he fought nobodies in his first 6 fights. Then on entering the UFC, he was beating lower level heavies like De Fries, Beltran and Del Rosario. His first step up came against Struve and he got knocked out, so that set him back. After that he bounced back with decisions over Nelson and Gonzaga, his biggest name wins by far but the fights were a bit boring as I recall. He looked good in his own performance but neither fight was really something you could hype him as a title contender off. Then through sheer circumstances he had to fight a really undersized Fabio Maldonado. Battered him but it was a mismatch that shouldn't have really even happened.

It's really only his last two fights where he's really seemed to turn the corner and get that extra oomph IMO, as looking like someone who's actually ready for and worthy of a title shot. He hung with JDS for five rounds and more than held his own. One of those fights where his stock raised even in defeat. Then the Hunt beatdown just cemented him as a legit force at heavyweight.

Two - there was always something else going on. They were busy with the Cain vs JDS trilogy most of the last three or four years. Plus Cain hasn't been available either. If Cain had been healthy the last couple of years, we'd probably have already seen Miocic get a shot because this Werdum fight would've happened a while ago and they'd have needed a new challenger. Cain's injury woes have seriously put the whole division on ice.

So yeah, I think Miocic just needed time. If he'd got the title shot around the time he beat Nelson and Gonzaga, in hindsight I think it'd have been too early for him. Now I think he's shown he's ready. The Time Is Now, if you will.

I only watched the Main Card. But from what I saw, it was a very good show.

Weidman was scary. The second the fight hit the floor, it was a different fight. 

His post-match interview was a tad unfortunate though. The "stop doubting me" line reminded me of Tommy Gunn is Rocky 5. I don't think Weidman needs to be that way for two reasons. Firstly, I don't think many people doubt his talent. He is not really living in anyone's shadow. For example, he is not like Larry Holmes was with Ali. It is clear that Weidman is becoming very popular with the American audience. They love the all-American boy image.

Secondly, Weidman is very quickly catching up to Anderson Silva's resume, or at least level of dominance. Weidman crushed Belfort, beat Machida clean, and beat Anderson. If he complies a few more wins over the likes of Rockhold and Jacare, the process will be complete. The only test Weidman faces is longevity.

D.C vs Rumble played out as I suspected, just a bit quicker. D.C got the "dicey moments" out of the way with in the first exchange. From there, it was a delight to see him grind Rumble down. It was clear that Rumble was still a threat in open air, but when D.C closed the gap, the fight only went one way. I thought Rumble was done after the 2nd. Credit to him for coming out for the 3rd with purpose, even if it was short lived.

Rumble showed his class at the end by putting the belt on D.C. It was clear years ago that Rumble had the natural gifts to be something special, it was just a case of him finding his niche. Despite this loss, Rumble's recent run has been a pleasure to watch. There is not much worse than wasted talented. However, it was lovely to see one of the sport's most likeable personalities with the belt. 

Despite it being a rematch. The UFC might have something special with Jones vs D.C 2.  In short, there are few shades of grey, D.C is liked by the vast majority, and Jones is disliked by the vast majority. There is little indifference to be found, and emotional investment is high. If the old pro wrestling phrase of "heat draws money" is accurate, the UFC should be laughing all the way to the bank. When you consider the deep rivalry between the two, and Jones returning to gain the title he never lost inside the cage, it has the makings of PPV gold. The story behind it is exceptional, it writes itself.

Arlovski winning was a feel-good moment. With Andrei, it all depends on his approach. He has always been a bit chinny, and prone to getting caught. His performance is pending on whether he turns the volume up, and doesn't fight timidly. Even when he was landing on Browne at will, there was always the very real possibility that Browne could clip him (which he did). Luckily, Arlovski readjusted, and finished the job. It was a joy to watch.

Well, that big, bearded lug Travis Browne cost me a perfect event pick-wise, the bastard. I ended up going -50p as far as money goes, and 4-1 with my picks.

My total is now -£5.00 and 18-5 in picks.

I did make a tidy £18 from the Makhalev win over Kuntz, which softens the blow a little.

As for the event, it was decent enough although not too great in my opinion. I'm not really a fan of Cormier or his style and have absolutely no doubt that Jones will put him away again when they fight. Styles make fights, and Jones is all wrong for Cormier.

Weidman looked as good as you can against old Vitor. A fight between them in Brazil would have been more competitive, but you can't have everything. I still don't like Weidman, in fact, I like him even less now. He seems like the typical arrogant American type, and his mention of Jesus and religion is even more reason not to like him.

Yeah, a good event but nothing groundbreaking. 

• Paid Members

i've done an acca, i had two boxing fights on there which have come in...then from the UFC i have DC, Dodson, Benavidez, Browne & the anyone can win the Weridman/Belfort but it has to end by either KO or Decision.

You must fucking hate Travis Browne today.

FUCK TRAVIS BROWNE.

Hold up, I've just read about Bader. 

Are we seriously getting a light-heavyweight title fight between Daniel Cormier and Ryan fucking Bader?

The UFC need to fast track a return for Jones if that's the best offering the division has without the legit champion.

• Paid Members

thought it was a top show, prelims were a nice warm up. Dodson/Makovsky was a bit of a disappointment though and i thought Dodson was a tad lucky to pick up the win.

Main card was just a great watch top to bottom...

* I know Browne cost me near £100 in my acca, but i was so happy for Arlovski. The comeback continues! It's one of the most feel-good stories in MMA. Arlovski had unfairly become a bit of a laughing stock in MMA but his resurgence is just amazing. Travis Browne came out more flat footed than usual and looked like he just wanted to trade straight strikes with Arlovski, it backfired cause Arlovski was looking sharp. Browne must have got wobbled badly 5 times, yet the whole time i was waiting for the that wild Kongo-esque counter-strike. Crazy fight.

* Belfort/Weidman was just destruction...i talked prior about hoping Belfort would put on a performance to silence the TRT talk and even though he got whooped he kind of did. Whilst it was standing Belfort looked like Belfort, lesser men would have buckled to that barage on the feet. As soon as it hit the ground though it was goodnight Irene. Belfort has a bit of a history of folding in them kind of situations, he's tough and can take it but he goes into his shell when he's getting beaten up. He had no answers.

Weidman's desperation after on the mic doesn't help him really, dude really wants the fans to cheer him but trying to force it will likely have more just turning against him. He's a fucking killer though, no doubting his in-cage ability.

* DC/Rumble played out like i expected. The bully thing is the best way to put it. Rumble on the feet was showing why he's easily one of the scariest guys in the sport, DC attempting to exchange but that was never going to work. Once DC got in close and started beating Rumble up though he broke him, you could see it clear as day in his body language that he was not enjoying the experience and i also think Rumble was close to quitting on his stool at the end of round 2. DC was just all wrong for him, that stocky, powerhouse wrestler with the ability to grind on him.

If Jones is out for a year or so i have no problem seeing DC/Bader. Can already see the hardcore's shit all over that fight but if Jones is out of the picture that is the next guy in line.

Top show.

• Paid Members

Hold up, I've just read about Bader. 

Are we seriously getting a light-heavyweight title fight between Daniel Cormier and Ryan fucking Bader?

The UFC need to fast track a return for Jones if that's the best offering the division has without the legit champion.

looks like it's a possibility.

Thing is, Jon Jones basically wrecked the division by beating everyone. It makes the whole top 10 look like a bunch of guys who's had their shot. The current top 5 (taking out DC) looks like this.

Johnson, Gustaffsson, Evans, Bader, Glover.

The only dude there you can realistically give a fight too is Ryan Bader, he's the only guy on a bit of a streak who never got a crack at the belt. Unless the UFC pulls a fast one and throws Rashad in there, Bader is the next logical guy in line.

If Jones is out for a year or so i have no problem seeing DC/Bader. Can already see the hardcore's shit all over that fight but if Jones is out of the picture that is the next guy in line.

Bader is being considered a title contender after scoring decision wins over Anthony Perosh, Rafael Cavalcante, Ovince Saint Preux & Phil Davis. Man, is that so depressing.

I know both guys will go full tilt with their "beef" to try and get people worked up about what will undoubtedly be nothing more than a FOX level main event, but I doubt I'll be able to muster much excitement to see that one. Bader is the drizzling shits. seriously.

Fuck it, all is forgiven Bones! Please, get him reinstated and lets resume the natural order of things!

• Paid Members

Easily my show of the year. Couldn't be happier.

Chris fucking Weidman is the man. Balls to anyone who disagrees. Beats Anderson Silva twice, beats Machida in one of the best fights of the year and then completely destroys Vitor after eating all of his shots. Just go back and watch the absolute onslaught of blows he rains down the moment he gets full mount. Guy is a total beast and he's completely justified in being pissed off at people doubting or criticising him. He's done everything asked of him, got to the top based solely on being an amazing fighter, and yet because he happened to be the one to put an end to Anderson's run goons have this weird, ridiculous grudge against him.

It's Brock and Conor all over again. Instead of just admitting you don't like him because he beat your all-time fave you keep saying you aren't convinced until he beats this guy, or that guy. But then he beats them and you're left with no option but to admit you're wrong (as if!), or continue moving the goalposts. I distinctly remember people saying they didn't buy the Anderson victories and would only consider him a top fighter after he beat Machida. But then he did, so the goalposts were accordingly moved. This will likely happen for the rest of his career, but whatever. He's the best, he looked cool as fuck when he got up and shook his finger before wiping the blood off his face and anyone who can't admit his greatness is only lying to themselves.

Chuffed for Cormier. If it's possible I was happier to see him win than he was to see Seth Rollins win. Perfect game plan against Rumble, tremendous ability to take that outrageous punch in the first round and a spectacular post-fight promo to boot. If Jon Jones comes back this is easily doing a million buys. Awesome.

Travis Browne vs. Andrei Arlovski is my fight of the year and it's going to take a fucking miracle for any other fight to beat it. Incredible. The career resurgence of Arlovski is unbelievable.

Oh, and UFC 189 trailer was the greatest thing I've ever seen.

UFC is awesome, isn't it?

Guy is a total beast and he's completely justified in being pissed off at people doubting or criticising him. He's done everything asked of him, got to the top based solely on being an amazing fighter, and yet because he happened to be the one to put an end to Anderson's run goons have this weird, ridiculous grudge against him.

It's Brock and Conor all over again. Instead of just admitting you don't like him because he beat your all-time fave you keep saying you aren't convinced until he beats this guy, or that guy. But then he beats them and you're left with no option but to admit you're wrong (as if!), or continue moving the goalposts. I distinctly remember people saying they didn't buy the Anderson victories and would only consider him a top fighter after he beat Machida. But then he did, so the goalposts were accordingly moved. This will likely happen for the rest of his career, but whatever. He's the best, he looked cool as fuck when he got up and shook his finger before wiping the blood off his face and anyone who can't admit his greatness is only lying to themselves.

The thing is. I don't think these critics really exist. Maybe in the depths of the internet, or small-time outlets of MMA media, but not on a large scale. Weidman is really popular with the masses, and is accepted by most for what he is (the best Middleweight fighter in the world)

I don't know what it is, I just can't really get behind Weidman, and I wasn't really a big Anderson Silva fan (in fact, his bouts with Chael were the only ones I really remember supporting him). I was a bit irked that we never really got the definitive end to that series that it deserved, but that had nothing to do with Weidman and was more to do with simple freakish circumstance and Anderson acting like an arse.

I do know that his All-American schtick, and his religious stuff doesn't appeal to me. I'm not doubting that he's a really good fighter by the way, just that he doesn't really make me want to tune in for some reason. I can say the same about Cormier as well, i'm not really sure why I feel indifferent towards him either. 

I guess there are just certain guys who don't appeal to me, and that's two of them. I have my favourites like everyone else.

Archived