The Internet vs Wrestling

Undefeated Steak

Inspired by Tommy Dreamer vs Torrents in the other thread.

Aside from a handful of podcasts, wrestling seems to have a hard time adjusting to the internet. Nigel McGuinness recently started a ludicrous Kickstarter campaign and the WWE Network is playing havok with Vince's mental health. Then there was that Seth Rollins pic the other week.

This thread's for the best internet vs wrestling stories. (Both sides of the coin, though. It doesn't just have to be the bad stuff. Things like the RKO outta nowhere vids was great publicity for WWE.) Links where possible.

• Paid Members

The obvious thought that entered my head is wrestlers throwing their toys out of the pram because THE INTERNET didn't rate their match as highly as they did. And the next obvious thought that entered my head is : Chris Jericho.

Here's Y2J calling us all stupid and jack-offs because a couple of people on the Torch didn't see his match with RVD at King of the Ring 2002 as the 5 star classic that he knew it was :

Hello Jackoffs...

All right, I've had it. You want a war? Now you've got one. I'm suffering from a bout of Insomnia, so I decided to go on the web and check out the reviews of the King Of The Ring from tonight, more specifically on the PW Torch website. After reading what all of you "Smarks" (and believe me, you are all still marks) had to say about my match and the show, I am furious.

Everybody has the right to an opinion and here's mine. I am sick of all you holier than thou, pompous jackasses. That's it. That's all. Baby goes to sleep now. I had one of my best matches of the year tonight with RVD, that featured 20 minutes of tremendous action, innovative false finishes and an absolutely tremendous crowd. It was everything I could've asked for in a match and it was in my opinion, an off the charts performance from RVD and myself, match of the year calibre .

Well if you didn't like my match tonight, then you are out of luck if you're a Jericho fan, cause it was the best you're gonna get, jerky. That was CJ at his finest. Wrestling at it's finest. A great 4 1/2 star performance with an tremendous build, a great crowd and an awesome match. If you didn't like it, then stop watching me and stop watching the WWE and take up bowling, cause you will never like anything we give you. I'm the first one to admit when my performance is not up to snuff, or when something was bad and I'm the most self critical person on the WWE roster, but tonight's performance was me at my finest. Didn't like it? Get the F out then and good riddance to you. For all of you that enjoyed my match I say thanks. For those that didn't like it, I don't care cause I'm through with you.

I am now finished with the internet and I'm finished with this sight (sic) because I hate what you marks are doing. You've spoiled it for me. You're negativity is ridiculous. You all come off like a bunch of bitter know-it alls, who won't be happy with anything we give you. Nothing is ever good enough and quite frankly I'm over it. You are the same people that are saying that Attack of the Clones is boring, analyzing every little detail, instead of allowing yourselves to be entertained.

It seems that all of you wish the wrestling business would dry up and die, because some of you dislike EVERYTHING we do. Is it always good? No, but we are killing ourselves to try and entertain you and if you don't respect that then kiss my ass. I want the business to be around forever and I am doing my part to keep it great and I did that tonight, no matter what any of you think.

Alot (sic) of the boys pander to you on their websites, asking for your input and your thoughts and I used to be one of them. Guess what? I'm not anymore. Think what you want. I don't care. Do what you want. I don't care. Respond how you want too as well, because I won't be reading. I don't give a damn about what you think anymore...

One of the best wrestlers in the world and one of the performers in the best match of the night and match of year candidate from the KOR,

Chris Jericho

Chris Jericho there, "finished with the Internet" in 2002. Of course, he came back. It's wrestling, they always come back.

• Paid Members

"Wrestling at it's finest. A great 4 1/2 star performance"

So, empirically not at its finest then.

Excellent point.

But RVD's frog splash was empirically at its finest, though.

That Jericho rant was the first thing I thought of as well. I actually loved that match, one of my favourite matches that year, but what a knob. With the insider terms and pettiness of it, it's written kind of like a parody of how pathetic wrestling, wrestlers and wrestling fans are. To the point where you could almost believe that he was doing it to work the tosspots, always his strongest section, into booing him. But knowing Jericho as we do now via all his interviews and podcasts, it seems he really is just that much of a wanker.

Fandango and Zack Ryder have both been a case of WWE dropping the ball with Internet popularity. Yeah Ryder was a bit shit, but he could have easily been a Santino level guy. Usually milling around the bottom and occasionally stepping into the spotlight to pop the crowd.

They did try with Fandango, but they didn't understand how to naturally let it grow

• Awards Moderator

They can't really do that with internet popularity, though, because it's always over so quickly. Something gets massively popular on the internet and by and large it's old news two weeks later. The latest example being that dress - massive topic of conversation for about a week, and then got replaced by a weasel riding a woodpecker. If something hits big online, you don't have time to naturally let it grow, you've got to capitalise on it then and there before it becomes irrelevant and everyone moves on. Then you have to ask yourself whether it's worth putting the investment in for such a short-term return.

Your exceptions are things like Grumpy Cat and Shit My Dad Says, which were a bit more enduring, but they really are exceptions rather than the rule.

• Paid Members

TNA Star Gunner lashed out at "dirt sheets" and "fat computer marks" via his twitter page following the No Surrender PPV. He tweeted:

"Amazing job from all Impact talent tonite! No Surrender was a success! SUCK IT DIRT SHEETS AND FAT COMPUTER MARKS AT HOME."

"So apparently the message boards are calling me an "egomaniac"! Ahhhh u guys are silly!! FAT COMPUTER MARKS...oooppss I did it again."

"Good thing the so called message boards don't really mean crap to me! My true fans are the ones who know we all bust our tails to entertain u all."

"We need to get FATCOMPUTERMARKS trending!"

Gunner hates us

That Jericho rant is ace. What a wanker.

HG is bang on. No medium has a faster turnaround rate than the internet. It's like the 15 seconds of fame.

What was that Tout thing WWE used to go on about? Was that their own attempt at competing with Vine and Twitter or was there some sponsorship deal going on?

Archived