Blue & Black or White & Gold?

Steve Justice

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Science-sy speculation on why people see it differently:

Why do people see the dress in different colours? Beau Lotto, a professor of neuroscience at University College London, says "the brain has evolved not to see absolutes, but to see the difference between things." Because colours that appear in sunlight look different from those that appear under streetlights, for example, our brains have to focus on the relationship between colours, not the colours themselves. Lotto says we can "only speculate" about why some people see blue where others see white. It could be because some are focussing on the difference between the colours of the dress itself, some are looking at the difference between the dress and the background, and others are taking the colour of their computer monitor, and the room around it into account.

• Paid Members

I see it as blue and gold (well, brown). My brain says that the blue probably should be white and it's a white balance issue, but no amount of squinting or tilting the screen can make me see black.

This response most accurately describes what I see too. Nothing I can do can make the gold/brown bits look black.

• Paid Members

For years I could never see the bat in the batman logo, the yellow and black one on his suit.

My eyes would focus on the yellow, which to me was just an odd shape a bit like some comedy teeth.

One day, after years of this, for some reason my eyes just saw the black bat shape.

As it was just normal to me I never thought anything of it and just assumed everyone could see the same as me and I could see what everyone else could.

I love shit like this,it's a kick in the nuts to anyone who thinks we as humans are in control of the world, when we can't even control the colors we see

• Paid Members

I've read the "scientific" reports, and as they were linking to websites that sell the dress, showing it as deep blue and black, I was about ready to accept it. And then this happened....

IMAG0209_zpsrppfzf4w.jpg

IMAG0210_zpshqmjbrla.jpg

The dress is available in blue or white.

Doesn't really mean anything. Two people could see the same picture two different ways.

Plus, I think it was common knowledge that the website was selling blue and black, white and black and red and black. They kept referring to it ad nauseum on Sky News.

They're releasing a white and gold one, too. Opportunism at it's finest.

• Paid Members

I've read the "scientific" reports, and as they were linking to websites that sell the dress, showing it as deep blue and black, I was about ready to accept it. And then this happened....

IMAG0209_zpsrppfzf4w.jpg

IMAG0210_zpshqmjbrla.jpg

The dress is available in blue or white.

They're both Blue and Black?

Archived