Blue & Black or White & Gold?

Steve Justice

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I love stuff like this and am really quite interested in the real scientific explanations around how it works, and other such optical illusions is fascinating. It's always crazy to be reminded of and just think about the fact that really no two people perceive the world in the same way by any combination of their sense.. it is impossible to really know what other people perceive of the world around them. That's nuts to me!

The discredited findings of Dr Herbie though, not so much.

• Paid Members

Where the fuck are you morons seeing white? The top right corner of the photo is white (where it's overexposed) - and that's not the same as the dress.

Hint - the "photoshop dropper" technique is not scientifically sound.

How so? It's 100% sound - it has no agenda - it shows the actual colours of the dress as they are in that photo. Do you see white or black or gold in that image I posted? Because they're the exact colours from the photo.

(I'm taking the piss, BTW in an "OMG how are you all so stupid?" kinda way - so relax with the "aggressive" lark)

Because of the way a camera reads and processes the information it takes in. It is just as subjective and faulty as an eye. With a different white balance setting, the grey you've posted could easily have come up as something else (or any other number of settings that could be adjusted to similarly disrupt your super scientific findings).

A different white balance setting? We're talking about the image AS IS - not if you change it. I've seen people say: "yeah, but change the white balance, exposure, and brightness, and it's black & blue" - which is dumb logic. You're essentially saying that if you change it, it'll be different. Well duh. How about we do a colour replacement while we're at it?

Furthermore the dropper gives you only the colour of the one specific pixel you've clicked on, which again is not how colour perception works, because it works by context.

I tested multiple pixels - that's pretty much the mean colour that kept coming up. NONE were gold, or white, or black. It is scientific - because the dropper tool takes the context of the background of the photo out of the equation. The dress is 2 colours - and I isolated them above. If you think either of those colours is black or white, then get your eyes tested.

And WTF are you arguing with me about exactly? That I injected facts into a dumb circular argument?

"It's black & Blue", "No, it's white, & gold", "It's black & Blue", "No, it's white, & gold", "It's black & Blue", "No, it's white, & gold", "It's black & Blue", "No, it's white, & gold"

Me: "here are the 2 colours is actually is".

You: "hey, we were having fun - why did you ruin it?"

• Paid Members

Your aggressive tone and refusal to see it as a fun trick of the mind is what's pissing people off, and the fact that you're just generally terrible.

Anyway, I looked at the pic several times and saw it as white & gold and thought this blue & black stuff was some viral hoax thing, didn't read any of the science stuff or herbie's Nobel Laureate worthy piece of research, looked at the pic again and BOOM, royal blue & black. Mental how the mind works.

• Paid Members

Herb are you on the spectrum? Your behaviour and aggression are definite markers for at least a mild autism.

For some reason, facts (or at least a genuine attempt by someone to solve the question at hand using logical methods) seem to annoy people. They prefer to keep going around in circles saying "wow - that's mad!" It's not 'mad' - your eyes are fucked.

• Paid Members

The colour has changed between white/brown, blue/black and white/gold every time I've seen it. Who knows how this colour phenomenon works.

Mad, isn't it?

IT'S NUTS, MAN!

89aa65aff86cd61d60453aec8131226b.jpg

Archived