PPV's up to £19.95 in 2015 with new Sky deal

Benno

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're now going to air a 1hr highlight version of Raw on Sky One that will replace Experience on Sunday's from next week. To be honest I would've expected Sky to move all WWE programming to Sky Sports from now on. Now that they're charging £20 for a PPV. I guess Sky are trying to make as much money from their new deal with WWE as they can.

• Awards Moderator

They're now going to air a 1hr highlight version of Raw on Sky One that will replace Experience on Sunday's from next week. To be honest I would've expected Sky to move all WWE programming to Sky Sports from now on. Now that they're charging £20 for a PPV. I guess Sky are trying to make as much money from their new deal with WWE as they can.

Now that intrigues me. Raw edited down to an hour without having to pay for Sky Sports? I'd probably make an effort to watch that.

I wonder if this is just a prelude for WWE/Sky announcing the launch of the WWE Network in the U.K., as a regular subscription tv channel on Sky (ala MUTV, Chelsea TV, etc), with the channel basically carrying the live stream of programming from the Network, and will include NXT and Superstars programming. 

I can't see WWE being too thrilled that both NXT and Superstars are seemingly no longer being shown on Sky (as it stands), so there has to be some reason or thinking behind it.

As things stand at the moment, the new Sky/WWE tv deal appears to be Sky paying more money for less tv programming content, which seems bizarre.

Doubly so when you consider that from September 2016, Sky will no longer have Champions League football, which will leave a considerable gap in their schedules. Coupled with the addition of Sky Sports 5, you'd think Sky would at least be tying down all current programming for years to come, and maybe even adding more. 

• Paid Members

They've priced themselves right out of that one.

If you are a parent of a younger child/teenager there is no danger you are gonna knock 20quid extra every single month onto your sky bill so they can watch a PPV.

If they're expecting a considerable percentage of their PPV buyers to start subscribing to the network soon then they're going to try and make as much money as possible out of those that remain.

They hugely over estimate the uptake of this I reckon. Online fans may buy into the Network but the average child/teenager will have a battle to get parents to add another £10 onto their monthly bill (which is ridiculous already). As with the U.S subscription this could really backfire.

If I hadn't been turned off the product when PPVs first became actual PAY per views, I certainly would be now. £19.99 is INSANE for events that just don't mean anything or that are rehashes of previous matches. This might come back to bite em in the arse... Bare in mind the psychology of the increase... People seeing £19.99 will round up to £20 and psychologically that's a barrier.

WWE need to realise... They are not the be all and end all... Fans will be loyal but that doesn't justify pricing them out of shows. They grossly overestimate their appeal and that was clear from getting half what they predicted in terms of subscriptions

Another reason for this price rise is probably because Sky have noticed their PPV orders on Box Office have fallen a hell of a lot now that many people just download them through torrents first thing the next morning. Also they will be aware of the fact that some people are already using the WWE Network in the UK. I'm sure this is the first time any event on Sky Box Office that has been priced at £19.95. So WrestleMania could actually be priced at £24.95.

http://www1.skysports.com/other-sports/news/14203/9620128/wwe-royal-rumble-watch-the-2015-event-on-sky-sports-box-office

Archived