RIP Jimmy Del Rey

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Fuck. That's terrible. Only 52 as well?

Not going to lie and say I watched tons of his work but I enjoyed the sleazy sod in the Heavenly Bodies. Remember being blown away by that float-over DDT (later stolen by The Rock) at SummerSlam 93 in that great match with the Steiners.

I feel Butch's old av should return in tribute.

• Paid Members

Suggestively shaking my belly as I type. Wrestling has losts its best Antony Worrall Thompson lookalike. Loved the Heavenly Bodies. Liked their little comedy routine on one of those SMW weekend tapes which featured Cornette, Meltzer, Kevin Sullivan, Candido and the Incredibly Strange Wrestling lads having a BBQ. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth until a few months ago when he resurfaced at a convention.

Jimmy Del Rey was a heel that everyone who isn't a wrestling fan imagines wrestling to be. Dressing gown, bit of a gut, tashe etc. Someone I appreciated more as the years went on. Its only when I see Joey Ryan, when I realise how hard it is to pull off the sleezy man character. Joey Ryan has a range from quite funny and likable to pointless and shit. There's little middle ground with him. Where as Jimmy Del Ray looked like a full on sex pest. Like someone who'd wear that dressing gown when the provy woman came round on the off chance he'd get a shag out of it. However unlikely. I never once thought Jimmy Del Rey was anything other than what he came across as in real life. He just looked and acted the part he played. Even Dr Tom would look at him and go "h'way man" on occasion.

Loved Cornettes introdcutions as they walked to the ring. Their entrance at SummerSlam 93 was great.

As a kid becoming a fan, I really liked Del Ray, not just for the fantastically sleazy look and dance, but watching Summerslam 93 he was doing all sorts of shit - the moonsault, the front flip to the floor, the wrap around DDT that the Rock would go on to use...hated when the Bodies became a jobber team. Very sad to hear.

• Paid Members

This is miserable news — I fucking loved Del Rey, for all the same reasons that people posted above. Looked like the lowest-rent stripper you've ever seen, and for an added bonus appeared to work out, but chase his workout with a stone of chips. So gloriously sleazy, and such a quality worker. I think that the comment exchange on the video Neil is Brill posted is classic, too — someone complaining about the lack of movez vs. gimmick, and the response is "Shut the fuck up, cunt". 

Archived