NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

Wasn't the best WK show, but the time flew by and nothing was bad. I just felt underwhelmed by some of the matches. KUSHIDA/Ishimori and Jericho/Naito were both disappointing although a lot of people loved them. Jericho seemed a lot more controlled in this bout and wasn't the wild, out of control character that really shined in his first year. The Jr title match didn't hit home for me, something felt a little off, but again nothing bad. But then again, I've never massively been into KUSHIDA save for his matches against Ospreay and O'Reilly.

Cody/Juice and the Heavyweight tag were the weakest matches on the card, but they both had their bright spots. SANADA is one of those guys who I wish would get a bigger singles push, dude just has IT. He had a great G1 (his match vs Sabre Jr was heavily underrated) and can hang with the bad lads. The tag division is holding him back.

Ospreay/Ibushi, Okada/White and Tanahashi/Omega were all great though. All three never hit that special 5th gear, but they were brilliant displays never-the-less. If you're not sold on how great Jay White is now then you should just give up on the guy. He has NAILED that character down, he IS the Switchblade and not just Jay White nervously playing Switchblade. His antics post-G1 really drive home that he has this in the bag. I love it.

New Years Dash was a nice exclamation point on the proceedings although I'm lukewarm on some of the feuds going forward. No way in hell am I sitting through any Taichi, Yoshi Hashi or Fale match so their up-coming matches will be getting the fast-forward treatment despite them being fucking wasted on Okada and Naito.

Sabre/Suzuki vs SANADA/EVIL and Tanahashi vs White are two feuds I'm very much looking forward to, as well as the teased Ishii vs NagataĀ mini-epic. I reckon Ospreay's next challenger will be Jeff Cobb, which will be a blinder.

Talking of Ospreay and Cobb, don't sleep on the CHAOS vs Nagata/Cobb/KUSHIDA 6-man from NYD. Cracking stuff and a whole heap of fun!

Wouldnā€™t bite too much on the Omega stuff - he did the exact same after the Okada match at WK11.Ā 

Fale! Get in lad! Going over Okada is just step one on his way to main eventing the Dome, brother.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Fale! Get in lad! Going over Okada is just step one on his way to main eventing the Dome, brother.

Having not really kept up with NJPW this year, I have to admit that Fale turning up in his trackies while G.O.D. have forked out for fancy new entrance gear, and even Jado has a bodypaint job, was hilarious. And his "One Bump General" shirt at New Year's Dash even moreso, particularly as it turned out to be entirely accurate.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Having not really kept up with NJPW this year, I have to admit that Fale turning up in his trackies while G.O.D. have forked out for fancy new entrance gear, and even Jado has a bodypaint job, was hilarious. And his "One Bump General" shirt at New Year's Dash even moreso, particularly as it turned out to be entirely accurate.

He's the absolute dirt worst, but I can't help but love the lump. He's genuinely had some decent matches over the years as well! His 2018 was shit, but hopefully he'll be able to drag Okada to another **** match. Cheers, Fale.

What does everyone think we're going to get August 31st at the Copper Box? Seems to be the next show after the G1, so I could see ZSJ/Ospreay picking up a win in the tournament to set up a title match there. Hopefully we get to see guys who aren't over in the UK every 3 months, I'm looking at you Tana.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

He's the absolute dirt worst, but I can't help but love the lump. He's genuinely had some decent matches over the years as well! Hiļ»æs 2018 was shit, but hopefully he'll be able to drag Okada to another **** match. Cheers, Fale.

I love Fale. He's the widest human being I've ever met.

Ā 

I'm going to keep an eye on what gets announced for the UK show, but I wonder what they could manage that would elevate it above the level of a RevPro show with NJPW guests, considering how frequent they are, and how (relatively) often most of the top stars have been over now.

5 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

What does everyone think we're going to get August 31st at the Copper Box? Seems to be the next show after the G1, so I could see ZSJ/Ospreay picking up a win in the tournament to set up a title match there. Hopefully we get to see guys who aren't over in the UK every 3 months, I'm looking at you Tana.

A very Tag Match heavy show.Ā 

It sounds like itā€™s definitely a NewĀ Japan show and not a Rev Pro one with some New Japan lads bookedĀ for it,Ā With the main roster getting smaller and smaller theyā€™re gonna need to bring some new talent in at some point because right now weā€™re just getting the same feuds over and over.

Ā 

29 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

He's the absolute dirt worst, but I can't help but love the lump. He's genuinely had some decent matches over the years as well! His 2018 was shit, but hopefully he'll be able to drag Okada to another **** match. Cheers, Fale.

I would not be surprised to see Ospreay vs Sabre for the open weight title. I also expect an rpw title match with the rest being tags with maybe a Jr singles match.Ā 

Could someone help me understand the relationship between NOAH/AJPW/Dragon Gate/NJPW please? It seems the NJPW roster may be a little slim this year. Do they ever raid other Japanese promotions?Ā There seem to be some exceptional guys working in Japan that NJPW could use but I have heard trading or just stealing talent doesn't happen to much there.Ā Also are there any young boys currently on excursions?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Hirai Kawato and Oka are on excursion to CMLL and Rev Pro respectively. Don't know about anyone else.Ā 

The Junior division especially looks really thin right now. With him being a K-Dojo guy, would Ayato Yoshida still be a guy they'd send on excursion before calling up or could he just move straight up? I like Yoshida a lot, he seems a lot further on than most.

• Paid Members

How far away is Hiromu from returning? That would be a huge boost to the junior division with Ospreay moving up and Kushida heading off.

Short of breaking up Roppongi 3K, or pushing Shingo as a singles competitor the number of viableĀ challengers for Ishimori feels pretty limited.Ā