"It Should Have Been _______"

Liam O'Rourke

So, we're doing another podcast this week, and for a change of pace we're looking at matches, pushes and angles in wrestling history where you could debate that somebody else should have gotten a certain spot, and things would have gone better than they did - should be a fun look back over different time periods.

Think somebody else should have run over Austin? Think somebody else should have beaten Goldberg? Think somebody else should have won King Of The Ring 95? Think somebody else should have main evented a WrestleMania rather than the guy that did? Think WCW should have built around somebody different? Et cetera....

Give us the one you always felt strongest about, whatever it may be, and explain how and why it could have worked. As always, we'll read the best contributions on the show and discuss what you think, but it should be fun to see what people come up with.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Hardy should have had what Albert got in late 2002. Albert was the dirt worst, but someone at WWE loves him because he's never been anything other than utter v&d and they've given him loads of chances over the years. Hardy V1 was cracking, and coming off the stuff with Lesnar and Undertaker, he'd have been perfect to feud with Edge and Mysterio. Instead, A Train got the opportunity to be shit in high profile matches.

Great topic, Booker T shouldnt have had to wait 5 years to win a world title in WWE.

-great start fueding with Rock

-establishing himself within WWE,

-little rub with Austin

-singles match at Mania 18

-entertaining run with Goldust

-eliminates Rock last to win title match at Mania 19

and then...

-buried in lead up to HHH mania title match

-buried in title match (pedigreed, then HHH takes over 20 seconds to cover him and get the win, the 1st pedigree in match)

-flirts with IC title

-fued with Mark Henry version shit

-tags with Van Dam

-sent to Smackdown, always behind Taker, Eddie, Cena, JBL

-WrestleMania 21 pre show given away in the

Daily Star

-Kurt Angle rape/animal sex angle

-Best of 7 with Benoit

-King of the Ring win

-WHC title win

-Loses title and leavss within a year

I think WWE could have done so much more with Booker, especially 2003-2005.

• Paid Members

I think you and me remember things a bit differently, Pack.

..... Rock absolutely lamped him at SummerSlam, then even with Shane legally in the match, lamped him again at Unforgiven. He was made to look second class.

-little rub with Austin

Austin was permitted to make Booker look like a chump.

-singles match at Mania 18

Deeply forgettable singles match with a ridiculous reason for happening.

..... OK, with you here.

Incidentally, you haven't answered the question the OP is posing.

My own "It should have been" will inflame at least one other regular. I really despised when The Great Khali was promoted to champion on SmackDown when Edge got injured. It wasn't just that he wasn't good enough to be champion.... it was that he was REALLY shit. Like, his matches were fucking unwatchable. I don't buy into the "believable monster" ethos when the monster in question can barely move and the whole match becomes unbelievable as a contest because everything looks rubbish.

So.... I think it should have been Umaga. He'd already proven himself a reliable hand in main event style matches with Cena, he'd go on later in 2007 to have some really enjoyable main event style matches with Triple H. He never looked out of his depth against the big names, and I think he'd have slotted in perfectly to the programs they ran around the belt before putting the belt onto Big Dave in preparation for Edge's eventual (brilliant) return.

Wasn't Bob Holly penciled in at one point to face Bobby Lashley at Wrestlemania 23 in the hair vs hair match with Vince and Trump? But they decided to go with Umaga instead. Shame that as Bob rightfully earned a spot on that card as he didn't even get a gig in that ECW tag match. He must have missed out on a big fuck off payday too. They definitely fucked him about a few times up there.

Someone other than DDP should have been revealed as the chap who was stalking Taker's annoying,big chinned wife in 2001. Completely fucked over one of the few proper WCW lads who was willing to sign up straight away, for what was always going to be a really shit storyline.

Booker came out of the blocks (attacking Austin or Vince first?) and then fueded for the WCW title with the Rock for 2 consecutive PPVs. Thats a pretty fucking good start to his WWF career, regardless if he was beaten by Rock twice. He was also apart of the Invasion main event too.

The supermarket skit with Austin was brilliant, a seg thats replayed alot, granted once again he came out of the fued/skit with the short end of the stick like he did with the fued with Rock but Booker was heel so it made sense. The association with Austin was never going to hurt Booker.

Finally, ive far as im concerned the guy had not been in the company even a year when Mania 18 came around, WWF had arguably their greatest roster ever (maybe a couple of weeks before Brock debuted and Eddie came back) and a WrestleMania match is a WrestleMania match so I would chalk that up as an achievement to get on the card when others would have missed out.

As Raid has pointed out my post does not encompass what the OP has asked for so I will rectify this by posting a quite obvious one which is Punk should have won the ECW chamber match. I think we woukd have got 2011 Punk alot sooner if he was given the belt in Dec 2006 in that match. Coming off his reception at Survivor Series the month before it would have shot new life in ECW, gave Punk more confindence, Heyman would have probably stayed around and Lashley wouldnt have been champion.

Great topic, Booker T shouldnt have had to wait 5 years to win a world title in WWE.

-little rub with Austin

- Looked stupid on "The Weakest LInk" which they worked into his character.

-singles match at Mania 18 - Over a shampoo tv advert in Japan. 

Made a few corrections, though I do agree with you he could of been made to look better. 

Also I know I'm the only guy who thinks this, but I loved that Booker T vs. Triple H match. :(

-little rub with Austin

- Looked stupid on "The Weakest LInk" which they worked into his character.

-singles match at Mania 18 - Over a shampoo tv advert in Japan.

Made a few corrections, though I do agree with you he could of been made to look better.

Also I know I'm the only guy who thinks this, but I loved that Booker T vs. Triple H match. :(

Never seen that WWF Weakest Link so I will have to give it a go.

That Booker v HHH match is a alright match up until the finish. Go back and count how long it takes from HHH to hit the pedigree until the refs hand smacks the mat for the 3. I timed it like the sad bastard I am a few years back and im sure its about 26 seconds.

Archived