"It Should Have Been _______"

Liam O'Rourke

Miz was the perfect man for the job of standing in the corner whimpering "what about me?"

That is true, but I don't think the main event of Wrestlemania is the place for someone of that role. The top match should be between top blokes, not The Miz. Any other position on the card or any other event, yes, fair point. But everytime an announcer mentions Miz main evented mania it cheapens that accolade. They should have either found another wrestler, another way to do the Rock/Cena story or positioned the match differently on the card

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah well I say it could have been done better and Rock/Cena would still have drawn money without Miz being a Wrestlemania maineventer.

It's not about Punk, it's about how shit the Miz is. I'm not sure how much simply I could put it for you. Triple H 2003, Bryan Danielson, IWC.

:laugh: Ah Maxwell, never change, you're the dolt that keeps on giving.

Here's one, dodgy though: Del Rio probably should have had Christian's 2011 title reign/s. If Del Rio had beaten Edge at WrestleMania, he might have gone from strength to strength and had some credibility with his destiny material. Instead, we got Orton vs Christian ten times over, and Del Rio knocking about as an afterthought in the title scene for the next million years. Chances are Alberto would still have been an incredibly boring fucker though, so it's probably a lateral move at best. Just seems like whenever he gets discussed, people stopped believing in him after the spring of 2011.

Shocked that we've made it all the way to the third page and nobody's mentioned Test.

vh8D5L1.jpg

I was a casual viewer in 1999 so I dont know the story behind that picture but does it indicate that people wanted Test to be in match as Austins replacement?

I didn't.

I can understand why people didn't but it seemed to make sense at the time. He was fairly over (arguably more so than Big Show) and didn't ever really get revenge on Triple H for drugging his missus then kidnapping, marrying and date-raping her.

• Paid Members
We can argue till we're blue in the face (again) about whether they should have thrown more money at the invasion agnle, etc but there's no odubting that the opportunity was there to go all out for Austin vs. Goldberg at that point.

Austin addresses that very point on his latest podcast. He doesn't resent Goldberg collecting cheques at home but there's a tiny hint of regret that that match didn't happen - and would likely be the focal point of the WWF v WCW feud.

We're not talking about the Invasion era. The post I was quoting was referring to what the WrestleMania XX card "should have been" - by which time Austin had hung them up due to his neck being completely fucked, and obviously hasn't wrestled since.

I can understand why people didn't but it seemed to make sense at the time. He was fairly over (arguably more so than Big Show) and didn't ever really get revenge on Triple H for drugging his missus then kidnapping, marrying and date-raping her.

Storyline wise it made 100% perfect sense for it to be Test. He was Stephanie's boyfriend, he was in with the face corporate group at the time, and he was a respectably over. Plus (and I know this if open for debate) but he was reasonably enjoyable to watch in the ring. He could of been the replacement, though if he was, I would of preferred Triple H to win the match and have Test chase for the belt a little bit.

Following on from that, this led to a Vince McMahon vs. Triple H street fight PPV match, and at the time thought that it should of been Test in that match too. Poor Test... I feel he was robbed of that spot.

Triple H and Stephanie getting married didn't happen until after that Survivor Series with the Big Show triple threat, but once it did happen, Test got absolutely screwed. It's hard to argue Test vs Triple H was a bigger main event than Vince vs Triple H really, but it was a classic case where they could have made a good fist of making a new star and they didn't even try.

We can argue till we're blue in the face (again) about whether they should have thrown more money at the invasion agnle, etc but there's no odubting that the opportunity was there to go all out for Austin vs. Goldberg at that point.

There was no chance of it in 2001 -- to buy out Goldberg's deal would have meant completely destroying the WWF contract structure to the point of probably killing the company, and Kane would be running terrible WWF tribute shows now.

Were they even teasing anything between Test and Stephanie and HHH before survivor series in 1999? It had to be someone credible and to be honest I wasn't a fan of wrestling till a few months later. have never watched the TV from that time either just the PPVs. Surely even though Test had taken on Shane in a feature match at summerslam he had not been featured at Unforgiven or No Mercy or on the PPV at Armageddon. I know he was prominent on TV with Steph but it really doesnt look historically like he was going to be given a top spot out of nowhere at Survivor Series (maybe it wouldn't have been Savio Vega levels but still unusual I think)

Big Show had at least had a world title run in the past and was till he came in and got fucked around a credible upper carder and size threat to HHH and the Rock. They also played off his Dads death I believe which lead to the Bossman showdown which was tasteless in a way but gave emotion to the win. I could mention vince wanting show in the main event of mania but thats not really discussing it should have been but why it was

I think for Armageddon HHH Vs Vince was the better draw, essentially Vince was more over than Test I would say. It would have been nice to see a HHH vs Test title match maybe if there was a PPV pre rumble but then we had the classics with Foley. the roster was packed and hot at that time, maybe Test would have stood a chance 2-3 years before or later but it was just bad timing both with the time of year and the roster. He was never going to be put higher up the card and in retrospect shouldnt have been. 

Don't know if anyone has mentioned that classic there but No Way Out 1998, instead of Savio? Really don't know maybe Kane pulling double duty or if he wasn't being a drugged up dick perhaps Michaels could have done it but never tagged in or been chased away by Austin. Or what about Tyson with a limited amount of in ring action?

Were they even teasing anything between Test and Stephanie and HHH before survivor series in 1999? It had to be someone credible and to be honest I wasn't a fan of wrestling till a few months later. have never watched the TV from that time either just the PPVs. Surely even though Test had taken on Shane in a feature match at summerslam he had not been featured at Unforgiven or No Mercy or on the PPV at Armageddon. I know he was prominent on TV with Steph but it really doesnt look historically like he was going to be given a top spot out of nowhere at Survivor Series.

Test effectively sleeping his way into a sudden "top spot out of nowhere" is why some people probably thought it was going to happen (or at least it made sense to me). WWE was in full soap opera mode here and it would of made perfect sense storyline wise. More so than Big Show who was waist deep in a fued with the Bossman at the time. 

Heck... they even hinted at it when they showed Test floating in the background during interviews with the McMahons when they asked them outright "who's going to replace Austin?"

Also keep in mind that the fans had cooled off on Big Show big time! My memory is hazy, but I swear Survivor Series 99 (when Show won it for the first time) ended with pure empathy from the crowd whilst Big Show is muttering "I did it Dad" in honour of his fictional father who died month previous on WWE TV.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned that classic there but No Way Out 1998, instead of Savio? Really don't know maybe Kane pulling double duty or if he wasn't being a drugged up dick perhaps Michaels could have done it but never tagged in or been chased away by Austin. Or what about Tyson with a limited amount of in ring action?

There's no way it could have been Kane at that point, he was still in the key formative stages of the big monster (heading into the huge Mania match with Undertaker) and wouldn't have worked as part of a team in a match designed to showcase Austin. Tyson was already on massive money just to do what he did, putting him in a match would've added loads onto his wage and blown the wad with him too early -- him doing a wrestling match would have been bigger than him refereeing/enforcing a wrestling match. The Michaels idea seems like it could have worked though, and potentially helped build up the Mania match even more. I can only imagine they felt like everyone in the match had to put a shift in as the reason for the sub.

The Michaels idea seems like it could have worked though, and potentially helped build up the Mania match even more. I can only imagine they felt like everyone in the match had to put a shift in as the reason for the sub.

I suspect a lot of the spots had already been planned out, hence why they went with a substitute. I remember the end of the match saw Austin trying to go for a stunner on Savio, only for Savio to push him off and flee off the top rope. Clearly that was MEANT to be for Michaels, as there would of been no reason to protect Savio. 

Archived