"It Should Have Been _______"

Liam O'Rourke

Well Bulldog did nothing of note until his heel turn. so maybe have him turn on Bret early. Have a Bulldog/Bret feud running through to WM11 and a Owen/Diesel feud up to the rumble. The concussion angle they later ended up doing with HBK could have worked too imo, just let Owen keep twatting him in the head whilst taunting Helen until she through in the towel.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
An obvious one, but it should've been a returning Christian who cost Jeff Hardy the championship against Edge and not Matt Hardy.

This is especially true because the reasoning of not doing it because it was "too predictable" is utter bollocks. If something is a good idea and it leaks, you still should do it, because it's a good idea you've invested some planning in, and who knows, some of the people that know it's coming might be looking forward to it. Swerves for the sake of swerves is so 1999.

Stone Cold vs Goldberg

There is no "should have been" here. Stone Cold was finished up. I think the idea is to stay within the realms of what would have been possible, not fantasy book guys that weren't available.

The concussion angle they later ended up doing with HBK could have worked too imo, just let Owen keep twatting him in the head whilst taunting Helen until she through in the towel.

The concussion angle with Shawn was only so effective because it was born from the very real concussion he had suffered in a real life incident and played on all our fears that something had legitimately happened to Shawn's brain. It would have been nowhere near as convincing created as 100% wrasslin angle.

Miz took the bullet on that event.
Your saying the spot was poisoned and talking like Miz was some kind of sacrificial lamb. It only played out that way because WWE decided it would and Miz wasn't good enough to come back from it.

That's exactly what he's saying. The entire of the main event build for Mania XXVII was Rock and Cena, and those of us who were/are Punk fans should all recognize that making Punk the third wheel in that particular scenario, the WWE Champion that serves as irrelevant in comparison to the two megastars, would have been terrible for him. It was an impossibility to imagine Punk getting in the way of the Rock/Cena meeting between the announcement of Rock's title match at the Rumble '13 and Mania XXIX rolling around, even after the 334 days as champion, so he'd have looked even more incongruous getting in the way in early 2011, and as Pity pointed out already, he would have been left behind afterwards and continued to occupy the "top of the midcard" spot he'd been in for the better part of the previous 18 months.

Also - here's a thought - there is a good chance that they didn't consider Punk for the main event spot because he hadn't signed a new deal yet, and in their eyes (as irrelevant as the guy in the champion spot actually ended up seeming) putting a guy that might be leaving soon in the main event of WrestleMania simply wouldn't have been best for business. *

* No, Rock doesn't count. You sell a nuclear fuckton of buys from a Rock main event at WrestleMania, so it's worth it. Having a CM Punk (or Miz for that matter) go into Mania as champion (and leave the same, as it turned out) if they might fuck off in July, is a risk not worth taking.

• Paid Members

Stone Cold vs Goldberg

There is no "should have been" here. Stone Cold was finished up. I think the idea is to stay within the realms of what would have been possible, not fantasy book guys that weren't available.

We can argue till we're blue in the face (again) about whether they should have thrown more money at the invasion agnle, etc but there's no odubting that the opportunity was there to go all out for Austin vs. Goldberg at that point.

An obvious one, but it should've been a returning Christian who cost Jeff Hardy the championship against Edge and not Matt Hardy. Then we could've got a decent Edge/Christian vs Hardys nostalgia feud instead of the terrible Matt/Jeff feud.

Christian's ECW run was pretty good though, so at least we got something out of it.

Wasnt that the plan originally but it got scrapped due to Christians move back to WWE being common knowledge?

Anybody remember when Christian got kicked out of TNA by the Main Event Mafia? Good times.

• Awards Moderator

Stone Cold vs Goldberg

We can argue till we're blue in the face (again) about whether they should have thrown more money at the invasion agnle, etc but there's no odubting that the opportunity was there to go all out for Austin vs. Goldberg at that point.

Austin addresses that very point on his latest podcast. He doesn't resent Goldberg collecting cheques at home but there's a tiny hint of regret that that match didn't happen - and would likely be the focal point of the WWF v WCW feud.

If we are booking with hindsight it could have been Edge/Cena in a title unification/retirement match

Only if we are booking with hindsight and learning difficulties. Miz was the perfect man for the job of standing in the corner whimpering "what about me?" while everyone cared about Cena and Rock. To have Edge's retirement storyline be him standing in the corner whimpering "what about me? I'm retiring, you know" while everyone cared about Cena and Rock, would have been ridiculously belittling to him.

Miz absolutely wasn't good enough to come back from the spot he was in at (and after) WrestleMania 27. Neither was anybody else that could feasibly have done the same job that night (and for the rest of that spring). The only sensible change to that main event, a fatal four way with Orton and Punk joining Miz and Cena, could have worked. Would have avoided/altered the terrible Orton vs Nexus feud a bit too. But then the same whingers would be complaining that Punk lost to Miz in a WrestleMania main event.

Just remembered one of the most gutting ones ever. Wrestlemania 18 could have been Kurt Angle vs Mr Perfect which I am certain would have been awesome. Instead we got Angle vs Kane in an awful rehash of a match they had had on raw a month or so earlier. It even had the same finish as there previous Fucking match iirc.

Just remembered one of the most gutting ones ever. Wrestlemania 18 could have been Kurt Angle vs Mr Perfect which I am certain would have been awesome. Instead we got Angle vs Kane in an awful rehash of a match they had had on raw a month or so earlier. It even had the same finish as there previous Fucking match iirc.

Good shout actually. They definitely should've went with that if there was even a hint of truth in the rumours that they were considering it. WM18 was one monumental turd of a show though, so what we got was kinda fitting. It should also have had the Outsiders v Brothers of Destruction imo (as fun as Taker/Flair was)

I could have so much fun here listing off fantasy "should have beens" for individual PPV matches over the years. Unfortunately, it would bore the arse off everyone. But in terms of the bigger picture and spots wrestlers should have been in, I always felt Flyin Brian should have been the guy to try and fill the gap left by Steamboats injury and retirement.

They done nothing with him in 94 even though he was still great, and he was by no means damaged goods. He could easily have become established at that US title level and I'm pretty sure the WCW fans would've got behind him more than the prick who was given that spot. A babyface Pillman in that role until the loose-cannon transformation a year later would've improved the WCW midcard no end in late 94 and into the awful 1995, with meaningful matches and angles against the likes of Austin, Orndorff, Anderson - even Vader

Going slightly off on a tangent since i'm on the topic of WCW in this period, their tag division was also rotten in 1995. Bringing in a team like Furnas and LaFon as figureheads would've been ideal and a real shot in the arm for the division at that time, as the Nasty Boys just weren't #1 babyfaces (as much as I like them in more suitable roles). The fans would have been a lot more receptive to them than the WWF fans were too.

I wonder what went wrong with the Steiners which delayed their return to early '96, because WCW was airing vignettes hyping them a year earlier in early 1995.

WrestleMania X8 is one of the easiest, most fun fantasy re-booking cards ever. The amount of talent on board at the time was insane. Imagine if it had been the Outsiders vs Brothers of Destruction though, Nash and Hall would most likely have won and the streak would never have been a thing.

Bob Holly should have been nowhere near a Mania card post about 2000 though, his only high profile match on PPV was the one with Lesnar at Rumble '04 and no one cared about that at the time anyway

Solid enough wrestler but if they'd put him in the match against Lashley it would have been ridiculous, doubt Trump would've been too happy about some colourless nobody being in his feud as well (though I'm sure the money he got would've sorted that one out in fairness)

That was in reply to Flangedango's post from yesterday by the way, quote thing didn't work

Archived