Was ECW all it was cracked up to be?

Liam O'Rourke

i remember watching ECW PPV for the first time Living Dangerously 99 and being blown away with some of matches, Rvd vs Jerry Lynn, Tajiri vs Super Crazy and they were great matches, not a lot of story but non stop action. Maybe in the long run ECW help spoil the business by taking the psychology out of matches.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I steadfastly refuse to give Shane Douglas credit for anything except his colour commentary and resemblance to Norman Pace.

Once "Perfect Strangers" stopped playing and the bell rang that was usually the end of the enjoyable part of his appearance.

• Paid Members

I love Shane Douglas, as I have an appreciation for fat-bellied no-talent wankers who were somehow washed up before they were ever relevant. He's a special man, that Douglas. I remember when he rocked up in WCW; what a fucking waster. There was literally NOTHING good about have Douglas, it's kind of beautiful.

On a funny note didn't they actually pre-record a Sabu/Sandman match for one of their early PPV's because a previous match they had was a complete disaster?

Was this house party 98?

Heatwave 98 was the first ECW tape I ever got old of and is still my favourite event of theirs. From then on I managed to collect every PPV and event and really got into it. I couldn't actually tell you if it passes the test of time as I've not watched anything back since 01 but at the time it was brilliant.

I think they managed to get such a following because it was such a different product from the big 2, especially in 95-96. When the Monday Night Wars began, ECW stepped up the hardcore element (Born to be wired for example) and the actual product with PPVs (or tried to) but it never elevated them much further.

It definitely inspired the Attitude era and who knows what would have happened if WWE didn't boom in 98 and lost the war.

Shame Heyman wasn't as good at the books as he was character development

• Paid Members

Only match of Douglas's I can remember in ECW is the four way elimination match from Heat Wave 96.

On a funny note didn't they actually pre-record a Sabu/Sandman match for one of their early PPV's because a previous match they had was a complete disaster?

They did. The original (a ladder match I seem to recall) was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. They both looked completely hammered.

The rematch was filmed before the PPV went to air with the story that the censors wouldn't air it live because it was too violent when the real reason was they wanted to make sure it wasn't a botchfest like the previous match. When it turned out ok (the match still wasn't very good but wasn't a complete disaster) they did a segment where Heyman told Joey Styles that the censors can go to hell and that they were going to air it. The rematch wasn't even very violent. The whole thing was ridiculous.

• Moderators

Only match of Douglas's I can remember in ECW is the four way elimination match from Heat Wave 96.

They did. The original (a ladder match I seem to recall) was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. They both looked completely hammered.

I think Sabu talked about the original in one of his shoots, and said he dropped a ton of acid before he went out. Or maybe Sandman did. One or the other. Or both, probably.

• Paid Members

I think Sabu talked about the original in one of his shoots, and said he dropped a ton of acid before he went out. Or maybe Sandman did. One or the other. Or both, probably.

Yeah sandman did acid was calling Sabu a lizard most of the way though the match. "Here lizard lizard"

ECW was the be all and end all for wrestling at the time for me, id put up with the worst 10th gen VHS copy as long as i got my fill of pan shots and blood. 

ECW possibly had some of the best Tag Team wrestling of the 90s though to be fair. FBI (Guido/Smothers), Furnas and Lafon, Eliminators (although they've aged poorly), Dudleys, Benoit and Malenko, Tajiri/Whipwreck, Candido and Storm, Guido and Smothers again as they were that fucking excellent, even the amazing PG13 turned up for a bit having strong matches on TV. ECW's tag teams were strong.

Sadly, there's nowhere near enough of PG-13 out there :( . A handful of taped appearances were about all they got in ECW, with one of them being a PPV and another being one of those shitty 'official' fancams they used on smaller shows in shit halls. 

JC-Ice did return for a few singles shots in 1998 though. Between the in-ring stuff and pre-match crowd trashings, he was tremendous fun (if a bit crude) with his redneck punk schtick. You just knew he'd be a real crazy fucker

• Moderators

PG-13 were a perfect fit for ECW in my eyes. All ECW was was Memphis with heavy metal music and swearing. One of Heyman's greatest works of the people (and there's lots) is him being seen as this great innovator of the new and amazing with ECW when all he really did is repackage what was going on in Tennessee for a North Eastern audience.

PG-13 were a perfect fit for ECW in my eyes. All ECW was was Memphis with heavy metal music and swearing. One of Heyman's greatest works of the people (and there's lots) is him being seen as this great innovator of the new and amazing with ECW when all he really did is repackage what was going on in Tennessee for a North Eastern audience.

• Paid Members

I almost vomited when Joey Styles made it sound as if Heyman was doing all the wrestlers a favour by not paying them on that Heyman DVD. Just lies from a geg-eyed little stooge. Always hated Joey Styles. Thought he was a jaded little shit with over the top yells as soon as I heard him.

He does come across as a weasely little shit doesn't he? A right smug little face on him. I suppose that's the state of self-importance half the ECW lot ended up in.

Archived