Was ECW all it was cracked up to be?

Liam O'Rourke

I've wondered before what would have happened to the product if it had lasted a little longer at least (3-4 years).

Would it have stayed relatively similar or would it have moved more towards the ROH style in some aspects, just without the pure wrestling style they had in 02-early 03?

Would they have fallen into more of a CZW Style.

What would have been of the Indy surge around that time? and TNA

would ECW have taken the Indy Darlings at the time or other randoms that have long been forgotten?

I've heard Heyman say it would morph into something ROHish, but they almost forced themselves into that corner of Extreme by going so far that direction. A change in direction would have been essential for the long-term, and the talent was around to do it, but I wonder if there would have been some resistance from the die-hards to that.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've wondered before what would have happened to the product if it had lasted a little longer at least (3-4 years).

Would it have stayed relatively similar or would it have moved more towards the ROH style in some aspects, just without the pure wrestling style they had in 02-early 03?

Would they have fallen into more of a CZW Style.

What would have been of the Indy surge around that time? and TNA

would ECW have taken the Indy Darlings at the time or other randoms that have long been forgotten?

I've heard Heyman say it would morph into something ROHish, but they almost forced themselves into that corner of Extreme by going so far that direction. A change in direction would have been essential for the long-term, and the talent was around to do it, but I wonder if there would have been some resistance from the die-hards to that.

Their star-power had dwindled considerably, to the point that guys like Jerry Lynn and Steve Corino were main eventing, and even the truly horrendous Justin Credible was still in the mix. When you look at how much they had changed and the extent to which their whole vibe and energy had diluted from say 1996, then if the die-hards stuck with them through that, they'd have stuck with them through anything. 

If the originals were still there at the end, they'd definitely still have been there if they'd morphed into a typical 00s indie, being wowed by the likes of Mikey Whipwrecks backyarder trainees, the SoCal contingent, and all the rest of those indie types, most of whom CZW ended up showcasing. The ECW fans would have lapped that stuff up.

It would have depended on how it survived. Someone other than Heyman would have probably been calling the shots, so it would have been basically what either 3PW or ROH were. Or if it survived by getting a TV deal, the terms/money involved might have made it something really different. Imagine if Jeff Jarrett and Dixie Carter had bought it.

I feel like revising 3PW. 2002/2003 was a great time in my life. It's funny that thinking back to photos of events I saw in Power Slam just remind me of that time period. I don't think I've ever seen a full show of theirs, I remember hearing they were a mixed bag. I have however seen random matches, Syxx vs Sabu comes to mind which was cracking. 

Archived