Most believable angles/matches

Undefeated Steak

Have to agree with the Jake-Macho feud. Jake was THE evilest man in wrestling at the time, just an incredible heel.

I'm being very geeky but one of the first that came to mind for me was the Sweet Saraya-Cheerleader Melissa feud.

I still think their fight at the Colchester Arts Centre, as short as it was, was crammed with intensity and I'm still unsure how much of the heat between the two was genuine after Melissa's attack on her knee, just as it should be I think.

A more 'mainstream' one however would be when Matt Hardy returned on Raw and attacked Edge. I don't know how much was agreed between the two of them, if anything, but I loved that one incident and, although I didn't believe Matt had gone into business for himself, I did love that the heat between them was genuine.  

Sadly, the rest of the feud was gash.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when did Savage step up and become a main event player?

I believe I answer that in my last statement in my post, can't see the need to ask the question when my answer is there already to read but to clarify...

For me it was during this time that Savage really stepped up and into a main event player.

• Paid Members

had a little wrestling gathering the other night with a few mates and i brought up that thing where wrestlers blur the lines successfully, i love it when guys do it successfully.

Brian Pillman being one of the most high-profile cases, i still think people question his antics during his 'crazy' run, it's brilliant stuff and is without doubt one of the best reality based gimmicks in the game.

I know i'll probably get stick but i'll New Jack in there too. Where New Jack the gimmick and Jerome Young the man starts and ends is always up for debate, i love that it still pisses people off too. If you want a storyline example, i'll say the New Jack/Vic Grimes stuff. New Jack still sells fuck out of that stuff whether it's talking up the injuries he suffered, speaking of trying to actually kill Grimes when he threw him off the scaffold in the XPW...whether or not those two guys were completely on the same page or they legitimately hated each other has never really been answered.

I'd say Sabu as well but he kind of blew the lid on his gimmick in recent years when he started doing interviews and things but before that it's still one of the best gimmicks in the business for me in terms of blurring the lines between reality and working a crowd.

Nailz and the Boss Man wins this thread. Especially the pictures afterwards with black eyes and stuff. 

Big_Boss_Man_-_Raymond_Traylor_04.jpg

It's mad how visceral it seemed at the time, and now looking back, how tame it was. Nailz laying in the softest boots since I wish I had a football reference to go here.

Also reading the WWF Magazine (and an Apter mag which descibed it in great detail), it just seemed like Nailz turned up in his prison suit and battered him.

Sadly, by the time that Apter mag hit the papershops, Nailz had already moved on to wondering whether Cena would win the title back from Lesnar at Night of Champions.

• Paid Members

This is the best one. PWI in DECEMBER 1996 discussing Hogan's turn and a "rumour" of Paul Bearer and Undertaker splitting (which had already happened in the summer). God those magazines were so out of date its amazing how anyone could stand for it. Maybe pre-internet we all had lower standards, but that news was about 4 months out of date by the time it hit the shelves.

96-12.gif

The WWF magazine at the time was about three months out of date, but you could forgive that because it was all glossy and colourful and had proper photos. PWI was printed on bog roll in black and white, with pretend phone arguments between blokes who were feuding last year and rankings for promotions nobody has heard of where you'd just go "what the fuck's Jimmy Snuka doing on that list?"

I found this the other day in a pile of old shite:

v2qnts.jpg[

I've lost it again since, but some of the "wrestlers" in there were ridiculous. Just endless pictures of pasty fat men in singlets who were weekend warriors in the late nineties.

I've gone off topic now. To pull it back a bit:

Shawn Michaels collapsing after Owen Hart kicked his head out of his head.

• Paid Members

I've lost it again since, but some of the "wrestlers" in there were ridiculous. Just endless pictures of pasty fat men in singlets who were weekend warriors in the late nineties.

Find it! I would love to see some scans from that bad boy- post them in the photos thread or something.

PWI is released every 2 months these days so imagine how out of date stuff is now. They don't have too many story driven articles but some. They had a cover and piece on Undertakers streak released in the UK after Wrestlemania.

Back on topic, I always found most stuff Bret did, especially if it involved his family, completely real and in some cases it probably was. Mr. Perfect and Owen rivalries, Austin fued, Hart Foundation, USA vs. The World and obviously the Shawn stuff.

• Paid Members

Agreed. Come to think of it, the Bret v Lawler feud was pretty believeable before it disintegrated into the same old 1995 nonsense with the Kiss my Foot match etc. Lawler was go great in the role and his comments on Stu and Helen were so biting, that I found it pretty believable that Bret would want to kick the shit out of him.

• Paid Members

When Triple H announced that Kane killed Katie Vick. I was hooked.

My first three that immediately came to mind were the frightening Snake angle, the utterly convincing HBK collapse and the Nailz angle. That pic Ian posted of Bossman's injuries was the clincher.

I'd add the Austin-Tyson angle. It's probably the most perfectly acted angle in wrestling history. Everyone in it is money.

Undertaker locking Warrior in the coffin is another terrifying one. I feel claustrophobic just watching it.

Earthquake killing Damien is up there too. Jake sells heartbreak incredibly well.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I came to the thread to mention this. For "most realistic angles" this is the king for me, since from the day I started watching wrestling (already having been told it wasn't real), this was the one that made me sit up and think it was real. The way Vince and The King stopped talking, the way Owen stands there "not really knowing what to do" instead of capitalizing.... I was convinced we were watching a real-life (terrifying) incident. I go back and forth on whether it's brilliant or tasteless.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I came to the thread to mention this. For "most realistic angles" this is the king for me, since from the day I started watching wrestling (already having been told it wasn't real), this was the one that made me sit up and think it was real. The way Vince and The King stopped talking, the way Owen stands there "not really knowing what to do" instead of capitalizing.... I was convinced we were watching a real-life (terrifying) incident. I go back and forth on whether it's brilliant or tasteless.

Couldn't agree more. Although I struggle to remember what the outcome of that feud was as I don't recall a big Owen v HBK follow-up.

• Paid Members

Couldn't agree more. Although I struggle to remember what the outcome of that feud was as I don't recall a big Owen v HBK follow-up.

Once HBK won the Rumble, he put his WM shot up against Owen at IYH.

Archived