Most believable angles/matches

Undefeated Steak

Realism is something Brock Lesnar mastered recently at Summerslam. I've just watched the video of Steve Austin breaking Brian Pillman's ankle and forgot just how realistic some of those angles back then were. No wonder it was easy to suspend your disbelief when you were a kid with content like that. Only rule of this thread is that you must post a video or link to the videos.

What are the most realistic angles, promos and matches you can remember? Ones where you really manage to suspend your disbelief.

I'll begin with the aforementioned Austin/Pillman ankle gig.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Tremendous. That was on WWF Superstars as well wasn't it? Imagine an angle like that taking place on anything other than Raw these days.

This is what got my first watching TNA properly, Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle. I thought it was very well done.

"He's using the Bossman's stick on himself! Just like the Bossman probably used it on him!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmXsVtwOlFU#t=1m55s

Although it's not realistic at all, and I knew it wasn't real, it still hit me harder than any wrestling angle had -- and I say that as someone that was well and truly gripped by Flair's "UNTRUE" Liz photos and Papa Shango cursing Warrior. There'd never been a beatdown as long as Nailz/Bossman that I'd seen, so it's a good parallel with SummerSlam.

Edit: Just watching an old episode of Superstars from before WrestleMania VIII, and one of those pre-debut mystery man in prison promos threatening Bossman came on. Right after it, Vince just goes "Where'd we get that footage anyhow?" completely casually before throwing to the next match. Cracked me up.

Shawn Michaels and his desperation for a rematch with Undertaker at 'Mania. His reaction to his elimination at the Rumble and the way it occurred had me, I remember at the time there must have been a cock up because he was meant to win it. Then we got that great moment at the finish of the Elimination Chamber match, because when it was down to Taker and Jericho there was no way Jericho was heading into WM as champ.

• Paid Members

The Jerry Lawler/Snowman angle from Memphis in 1990, is one of the better ways racism has been handled in a wrestling storyline.

Bret gets Screwed from Dec 96/Mar 97 builds brilliantly and heads the ranks for the Foundation reuniting. Great individual angles in there, The Rumble, Bret quits, The Final Four, The Cage match against Sid, everyone calling Bret a whinging shit when HE IS COMPLETELY RIGHT in how bad he's getting fucked about.

• Paid Members

Nailz and the Boss Man wins this thread. Especially the pictures afterwards with black eyes and stuff. Also reading the WWF Magazine (and an Apter mag which descibed it in great detail), it just seemed like Nailz turned up in his prison suit and battered him. It was disturbing. And I had already seen the scene in Robocop when Murphy's hand was blown off by then, so I was made of stern stuff.

• Paid Members

The Rock vs Cena feud was about as real as it ever gets nowadays. A straightforward 'who's better' angle, with added heat fuelled by real life differences in their personalities. Neither man is playing a 'character' as such, no real heel or face roles were adopted, it was just two global superstars vying to prove they were the top dog.

They even brought real-life events like John Cena's divorce into play, it was a brilliant storyline developed over three WrestleManias. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytdOymtT23w

Hogan and Savage after their tag match on Main Event against Bossman and Akeem during which Elizabeth took a killer bump when Savage was thrown through the ropes on to her.

The confrontation between Savage and Hogan due to Savage' anger that Hogan walked out of the match in order to carry Elizabeth backstage was incredible. Savage' anger and emotion was completely believable (perhaps steaming partly from his real jealousy of other men/wrestlers showing affection towards her and his controlling attitude towards Elizabeth)

For me it was during this time that Savage really stepped up and in to a main event player.

So when did Savage step up and become a main event player?

I second the Cena/Rock mention. It was counter-productive, but you could really see the disdain both guys had for each other in face-to-face promos, constantly cutting each other off, talking over one another and taking every opportunity to make the other look foolish (lines on the wrist).

Outside of that, Lawler and later, JBL's feuding with ECW. Maybe they were just excellent at their roles, but I really got the impression that they believed the promotion was garbage and beneath them.

• Paid Members

Macho/Hogan is a very good choice. There was plenty more than just that angle, a good years worth of subtle tension. Savage was pretty much a main even player a year before though. Mania V was actually the beginning of the end of his run really which tailed off at the end of the year.

Archived