Most believable angles/matches

Undefeated Steak

Shawn Michaels collapsing after Owen Hart kicked his head out of his head.

Yeah, I came to the thread to mention this. For "most realistic angles" this is the king for me, since from the day I started watching wrestling (already having been told it wasn't real), this was the one that made me sit up and think it was real. The way Vince and The King stopped talking, the way Owen stands there "not really knowing what to do" instead of capitalizing.... I was convinced we were watching a real-life (terrifying) incident. I go back and forth on whether it's brilliant or tasteless.

Couldn't agree more. Although I struggle to remember what the outcome of that feud was as I don't recall a big Owen v HBK follow-up.

They had the big "will he, won't he wrestle again" and eventually faced each other at the IYH between the Rumble and Mania 12 with the title shot on the line. Pretty cool match as well, maybe even Owens best against someone he wasn't related to.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jake setting the King Cobra on Savage was the best "realistic" angle in the sense that I completely bought into it (well, the snake was chewing his arm for crying out loud), without it being of the "oh I know wrestling is fake but this is real" kinda thing.

It was just so inch perfect. The two shots I always love are Jake in the corner, the snake in the middle of the ring, perched up and looking into the aisle, as if protecting Jake, and the shot of the snake looking at Roberts with Jake talking to it, like they could actually communicate or something. Just fantastic. Honourable mention goes to Jake's promo at Tuesday In Texas with Okerlund, when Gene outright tells him to "get the hell out of here!". The stuff that breaks conventions like that can go either way in terms of execution, but this was one of the best.

Was disappointed years later to discover that heel Jake didn't draw very well on the road. That seems unfathomable after the strength of the angle.

The beginning of Edge vs. Matt Hardy is a good shout.

The Cena vs Lesnar matches are brutally realistic and in a category of their own.

Lots of Bret Hart angles and matches belong in this thread. His last year in the WWF is sublime, with the Austin feud (the belters at Survivor Series 96 and Wrestlemania 13, and the brilliant Royal Rumble performance leading to Bret snapping), the new Hart Foundation and USA vs Canada.

This segment from WCW is a standout too:

The beginning of Edge vs. Matt Hardy is a good shout.

It definitely isn't. It was the worst pseudo-shoot rubbish. That said, I had a mate who did think it was real.
I don't mean any of the cringeworthy "This is real!" or "On TV, Lita and Kane were married, but in real life..." promos, just the initial ambush, for its shock.

Archived