The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

• Paid Members

Yeah, I clicked through as quickly as I could and still could only secure Gold for me, jazzygeofferz and Bit Indy.

I've warned gadge already that I plan to sit behind him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

While it was nice to sit back with my season ticket and not worry about the SSS16 on sale last night, £10 each way train tickets on the Virgin site for the April 10th Manchester show was a nice saving this morning!

I'm finally caught up to the point of 'Hit The North!'

I'm finding Callum Leslie a breath of fresh air on commentary (which surprises me, as I've worked with him on other commentayr projects, and wasn't confident that his voice & style would lend itself to something more high impact like wrestling). He very much avoids the standard "Be very loud and react to everything you see like it's the first time you've seen it" (which I was incredibly guilty of during my year or so of commentary), chiming in with relevant knowledge of each wrestler's history, giving a more 'sports analyst' feel to the product.

I'm still not sold on RJ as his partner, he still has that issue that because he reacts so much to the stuff from the very beginning it's hard to set apart when an amazing sequence or emotional high point has happened. I also feel like there's not much interaction between the two, commentary seems to go:

*RJ reacts to the action in the ring*
*Comment from Callum*
"Absolutely" -RJ Singh.

I'm liking it much more than the RJ/Glenn Roberts pairing though, and am looking forward to seeing it develop.

I'm finally caught up to the point of 'Hit The North!'

I'm finding Callum Leslie a breath of fresh air on commentary (which surprises me, as I've worked with him on other commentary projects, and wasn't confident that his voice & style would lend itself to something more high impact like wrestling). He very much avoids the standard "Be very loud and react to everything you see like it's the first time you've seen it" (which I was incredibly guilty of during my year or so of commentary), chiming in with relevant knowledge of each wrestler's history, giving a more 'sports analyst' feel to the product.

I'm still not sold on RJ as his partner, he still has that issue that because he reacts so much to the stuff from the very beginning it's hard to set apart when an amazing sequence or emotional high point has happened. I also feel like there's not much interaction between the two, commentary seems to go:

*RJ reacts to the action in the ring*

*Comment from Callum*

"Absolutely" -RJ Singh.

I'm liking it much more than the RJ/Glenn Roberts pairing though, and am looking forward to seeing it develop.

Thanks very much, it was a real pleasure working that show (and Chapter 26 as well, plug plug). I think a lot of the lack of interaction had to do it with it being a very different setup. It was RJ's first time as the lead commentator, my first wrestling commentary gig period, and due to train clusterfuckery I only arrived as the show was starting so we didn't get to discuss anything. 

Also curious as to what we've worked on before, I don't recognise the handle from anything...?

I'm very much the substitute commentator to the main team, for a number of reasons (not least because my job involves a lot of other broadcasting work on weekends), but I'll be back for Super Strong Style 16 and Chapter 33 in July. 

I was the victim of bad luck in a name change thread. It's Jesse, and we've worked on such wonderful productions as 'Hearthstone', and 'Even More Hearthstone'.

So confident in my broadcast work you moved me into the darkened back rooms instead. FYBUDDY

In which case you had already heard that story, carry on. Glad you've caught up though!

Edited by cleslie92

I think what doesn't work is RJ doing play-by-play, wrestlers/former wrestlers doing this has never work. Callum needs the role of lead commentator.

I'm not sure, RJ definitely knows more moves than I do! Let me know what you think of me and Glen together on Chapter 26.