The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Just to add to the praise, absolutely phenomenal show. Hands down the best live show I've been to all year and by a large distance, too. Not that I doubted it for a single second but the hype for PROGRESS is legit. Nothing close to resembling a bad match and as mentioned ZSJ vs Ciampa and the main were off the charts.

I think the North West is going to be a very interesting place in 2016 what with 6 PROGRESS shows, ICW now also running at The Ritz, NGW, Infinite and TNT running Liverpool, PCW potentially running both and the mainstays in the likes of GPW and Futureshock. I will say, on the strength of yesterday, a lot of companies will need to up their game massively to compete with that as a lot of people are already re-thinking what shows and companies to follow in the new year

They're running every two months at The Ritz - Feb, April, June, August, October, December.

I believe all of those bar perhaps the June show are in tandem with Futureshock's Underground shows at Prestwich, and that's only due to Futureshock running on the Friday night instead of Saturday. Obviously very different markets as a whole in terms of crowd, but may well lure some of the Progress fans into making a weekend of it and vice versa.

I'll echo everything else that's already been said. An absolutely brilliant show from top to bottom. I was talking to someone beforehand about being slightly wary after hearing so much hype that I feared I'd end up disappointed, especially after having not checked out their catalogue on demand. Nothing to worry about, lived up to expectation and blew me away. 

• Paid Members

After seeing the buzz the Ritz show got I've been giving Demand Progress a try and been really enjoying the most recent shows.

The production really is a step above most other places, really love the aesthetic - that they can now show the entrances adds so much. It probably wouldn't bother most but it's a big reason PWG's dvds have always been a turn off for me - I just can't watch a show of wall to wall matches. The entrances and particularly entrance themes are so important to the characters here. There's a definite feel of Gabe Sapolsky's ROH at it's peak - you get the great matches, but its not just for the sake of having great matches, they're all tied together by a greater overarching narrative. The rise of Will Ospreay particually was really compelling stuff. Interested in seeing where things go with Marty Scurll now too.

With all that said, one big negative for me has been the commentary. I really wish it could be muted without losing the crowd noise. As great as he is as a host, I'm glad they got Jim Smallman out of the booth - the crowd would be going mental at something and he just never could sound enthused. The new two man booth didn't start great either - reacting to big spots with ARGRHRHHGHGHG OH MY GOD makes for terrible audio. Although to be fair the levels have seemed slightly better on the last couple of shows.

That aside I'd reccomend anyone give Demand Progress a try. I'm itching to visit the Electric Ballroom now (I'm keeping an eye on Twickets but If anyone is shifting a standing ticket for the January show give me a shout!).

Edited by Benno

• 3 weeks later...

Progress just made their big New Year's Day announcement - Chapter 36 on September 25th will be at the 2,000 capacity Brixton Academy!

I reckon that will easily sellout. I'm actually surprised they haven't decided to run somewhere bigger than that.

I think selling out a 5000 capacity building would be within their capabilities, with the correct amount of promotion, build up and time. 

• Paid Members

Match Announcements:

FSU challenge The Origin for the tag team titles on January 24th, with Dave Mastiff banned from the building.

4th Origin member Zack Gibson, meanwhile, faces Mark Haskins in a number one contendership match on January 24th. The winner gets their shot on February 14th in Manchester.

And speaking of February 14th in Manchester, JACK GALLAGHER VS TIMOTHY THATCHER is the first match announced

• 2 weeks later...

Not had chance to sign up to Demand Progress yet, but thinking about checking out the next Manchester show for sure, and seeing what it's like

EDIT: Bought tickets for the Manchester show.  Looking forward to it.  Gonna sign up to Demand Progress this weekend and see how much I can get through before the next show

Edited by pryko

• Paid Members

I've actually not seen too much of him, his match with Zack Sabre Jr in EVOLVE was supposedly the WWN match of the year 2014, for what that's worth, and I've seen a bit of his PWG stuff. I think seeing him live will be better.