The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

• Paid Members

That's the best way to do it. The Jimmy Havoc story starts well before 'Chapter 9', and there are several steps that lead to that point that you'll want to see to help understand.

It'll also mean you see and understand the simultaneous 'Will Ospreay' story arc, making it all the better when the two threads collide and explode.

I've referred to it before as 'The Rise & Fall of Jimmy Havoc' alongside 'The Fall and Rise of Will Ospreay', and that really is the 'story so far' of PROGRESS.

Reading some of these last few posts has been interesting, as I was planning on signing up tomorrow and starting from Chapter 1

If you've got the time then definitely start from Chapter 1, aye. You get the full story arc as Big Benny HG mentions above. You also get to see the production values shoot up which is interesting if you're into that sort of thing.

Yeah, my idea was essentially to start at Chapter 1 and work my way through it, but wherever I'm up to, probably watch the last 2 shows prior to the show on Feb 14th so I'm up to date for that show.  Can't imagine I'll watch the entire catalogue between now and then

• Paid Members

I personally wouldn't reccomend starting at Chapter 1. I got put off by the lesser setting, production, atmosphere etc. Forgive me if they've been recut but as I droaned about earlier in the thread, I thought those shows were really missing something without the entrances.

I think if you don't already *know* you're going to be into the product, like somebody said, you should watch a recent show and then go back and fill in the gaps.

I knew I was going to stick it out, so started at Chapter 1. I've watched up to Chapter 7 now. Production is poor so you have to be prepared for that, and Smallman's commentary totally sucks (has a man ever been so bored by his own product?). But I really like the El Ligero arc and his work over these shows, there is early Havoc if that is your thing, I really enjoyed Allen/Singh on Chapter 5, and Ospreay/Andrews on Chapter 4 and 7 are good and interesting given 2015/16 booking trends.

I quite liked "Jimmy Barnett" on commentary. Glen Joseph and RJ Singh are OK but need to tone down on the "OOHHH!" screamed down the mic after every big spot.

Yeah, it'd help for commentators to study up on Solie rather than just be a JR mark sometimes. I still remember the people moaning about the reaction to the Will Ospreay balcony moonsault.

Edited by Jon-Carr_92

• Paid Members

Really looking forward to seeing Pollyanna in the announced mixed tag for Unknown Pleasures. It's been years since I saw "Pollyanna Peppers" in Eve and from what I can tell she's changed her act quite a bit.

• Paid Members

And speaking of February 14th in Manchester, JACK GALLAGHER VS TIMOTHY THATCHER is the first match announced

This Thatcher bloke.... any good?

Only seen his work twice both for PWG superb match with Hero at BOLA 2015 one to watch in my opinion

Full card for Manchester next Sunday:

Marty Scurll © .vs. Mark Haskins for the PROGRESS Title

James Davis .vs. Tommy End (Winner chooses a stip for SDS .vs. Riots in Match)

Jack Gallagher .vs. Timothy Thatcher

Mikey Whiplash .vs. Rampage Brown

Bubblegum .vs. Jack Sexsmith

South Pacific Power Couple (TK Cooper & Dahlia Black) .vs. Morgan Webster and Pollyanna

Sweet Jesus (Chuck Mambo & Pastor William Eaver) .vs. Dazzler Team (Darrell Allen & Earl Black Jr) .vs. Dave Mastiff & Zack Gibson .vs. Damo & Joe Coffey

Some tickets still available.

• Paid Members

Next weekend should be great. I enjoyed the whole first Manchester show much better than recent Camden events and can't wait to get back.

By the way, my group does have a spare front row ticket for Manchester for sale at the moment (sold out; only 4th back and standing are still available on general sale). If anyone's interested, just let me know...